A Journey through Aesthetic Realms

Specialty Food & Traditional Cuisine from Âu Lạc (Vietnam) – Vegan Rice Pancake      
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Thai.

Birds soar high, singing at sunrise Alone I travel in a weathered shirt From Long An, Mộc Hóa, Mỹ Tho to Gò Công and Tiền Giang, a carpet of golden rice stretches to the far horizon.

I love my sweetheart in her faded bà ba shirt On the buffalo’s back, she looks charming with her suntanned skin O thriving rice plants, alluvial-rich rivers! Rejoicing in a happy bond with Tháp Mười, one forgets his hard life.

Cái Bè’s tangerine is known for its honeyed sweetness Savor it once, one remembers forever the Western land How adorable, the Western girls with rosy cheeks! Simple-hearted they have been for generations. O alluvium, endearing scent of the countryside!

From Long Xuyên to Vĩnh Long, Trà Vinh, image of home river runs deeply in my heart O alluvium! Enraptured, I’m reluctant to leave Though I can’t stay, I miss the peaceful land.

Bright moonlight shines on Cần Thơ River From afar echoes a chanting song If you visit Tây Đô, stop by Sóc Trăng to listen to the Lâm Thôn tune Communal house singing feels so close to our hearts.

Fruits ripen quickly in the early morning sun Evening rain cools deep rice fields O alluvium! Trees bloom through all seasons Young women and men are side by side, affectionate Folk song resounds immense and sweet... Folk song resounds immense and sweet...

You’ve just enjoyed the song “Journey on the Alluvial Land” by composer Thanh Sơn, with vocals by Minh Vương and Lệ Thủy. “Journey on the Alluvial Land” is a voyage through the southwestern region of Âu Lạc where there are vast rice fields, year-round blooming orchards, and simple hearts full of human affection.

Âu Lạc, a beautiful country situated in Southeast Asia, with sub-tropical climate, is graced by Mother Nature with green plants and sweet fruits, all redolent and delectable throughout the four seasons. Depending on the weather conditions and culinary preferences of each region, the local people have skillfully created many savory dishes.

In our program about Aulacese traditional cuisine, we are pleased to introduce the specialty foods of a land known for its freshness and abundance. Indeed, at a public lecture in the United States in March 1991, Supreme Master Ching Hai especially praised the rich natural resources of Âu Lạc.

“Âu Lạc is among the most enriched nations in this world: there are mines of gold, silver, uranium, lead, zinc, and tin. Âu Lạc has everything. There are morals, piety, harmony, and four thousands years of civilization. It is one of the most ancient countries in the world. Our land has always had abundant foods and fruits.

I remember when I was a student there, there was a great variety of fruits when I went to Bình Dương and Long Thành. And rice! Aulacese indigenous rice, called Tám Thơm, is the most famous in Southeast Asia and in the world. There are also other products, dried or fresh, that are most popular in the world.”

We are deeply grateful to Supreme Master Ching Hai for her treasured words and boundless grace for the nation and people of peace-loving Âu Lạc.

When discussing Âu Lạc’s specialty food, we cannot fail to mention the vegan rice pancake. The cheerful “cracking” sound of frying coupled with the bright golden color of the pancake rolled in fresh green leafy vegetables is truly appealing. But perhaps most impressive is the vegan rice pancake from southern Âu Lạc with its crispiness and aromatic nutty flavor of coconut milk. In today’s program, we're delighted to introduce the vegan rice pancake from the flourishing southern land, past and present.

O Your Honor!

What is it?

I haven’t seen any inns around here! My legs feel weary and I’m hungry too!

You scared the horses away, and now you're complaining?

Your Honor, as a County Chief, you have carriages and servants, why didn’t you use them?

I disguised as a commoner for an inspection tour. What's the use of making soldiers shout to clear the way in the front and protect the back? If you’re afraid of getting tired, just stay home next time.

Oh no, please forgive me! Eh, someone is walking over there...

A woodsman, perhaps. Respected Elder, please show us to the main road to return to Định An County.

Sure! But it’s already late; I’m afraid it’ll get dark before you two reach there.

Really?

What? So tonight... we must sleep in the forest?

How about... you two just spend the night at my house and set out tomorrow to be safe.

Thank you very much, Elder! Please lead the way. Elder! Please lead the way.

Do not reveal my identity, all right! (Yes.)

O Hương! We have guests; bring the tea, child.

May I know your name?

I’m a student, surname Vương, and this is my attendant.

Only two of us father and daughter here. This remote place rarely has any visitors. Since tomorrow is my wife’s death anniversary, my daughter will be making vegan rice pancakes. I'd like to invite you two to stay for a cozy meal.

You’re so kind to invite us, we'd be remiss if we refuse.

Let me help you, Elder. Let me help you, Elder. Oh... how come this rice is wet?

Ah, that's right. This rice I already soaked in water for 4 hours, washed clean, and now will grind it finely to make the pancakes. We just need about 250 grams of rice flour. That’s enough to make vegan rice pancakes for 4 people. All right, I'm going now to cleave the wood.

Why are you doing this kind of work?

Hush! What’s wrong with this work? Before becoming a County Chief, I was a poor student and had done all these things. Now, go to the back. See if you can be of help. (Yes.)

Elder, the coconut milk is ready!

Please bring it in to Miss Hương.

We’re not using the coconut juice, Elder?

No.

Then I’ll drink it! Here is the ground rice, Miss Hương!

We trouble you too much!

Actually, grinding rice is quite fun!

Master, have some fresh coconut juice!

Just feel at home, Mr. Vương!

Here is the coconut milk, Miss Hương!

Thank you.

No problem! I love to work. Did you make those bean sprouts?

Yes, the vegan rice pancake will taste better with freshly harvested bean sprouts.

Very nice bean sprouts! Show me how to make it, please.

It’s very easy!

Wash mung beans thoroughly, then soak in warm water for 8 to 12 hours. Next rinse them clean and let them dry. Line a bamboo mold with cheesecloth. Spread mung beans on it. Cover the mung beans with a thick piece of white fabric, then close the lid and place it where there is little light. Water the beans twice a day. After about 3 days, we can enjoy them.

Wow, it’s easy! By the way, can I watch you make the vegan rice pancake, so later I can make it for my master?

Oh, sure.

The mixture to make pancakes will contain 200 grams rice flour, 200 grams coconut milk, 2 tablespoons saffron, sugar, salt and spring onion.

What is that yellow juice? That is fresh saffron, finely ground and mixed with water. Then we filter it to obtain its juice to give color to the pancakes.

I see.

I forgot the cold rice!

What's cold rice for?

We crush the cold rice and mix it with the pancake mixture to make the pancake crispy.

Let me go get it!

We only need 1 teaspoon!

Really!

Now stir-fry the carrots and cassava roots. Season them with salt and sugar.

Why does it take so long to fry? When will it be done?

When the pancake’s edge turns yellow, fold it in half. Continue to fry it until the shell becomes an even yellow, then remove it from the pan. Oh, we need the sauce too.

It’s quite a lot of things!

The sauce is easy, really. Blend the same amount of vinegar, liquid sweetener, purified water, then add in some salt, garlic, finely chopped hot pepper... and pickled vegetables! That’s all.

It smells so good! O master, the vegan rice pancakes are about ready!

Oh, it looks so delicious! Oh, it looks so delicious!

Miss Hương is such a good cook! You’re very blessed, Elder.

You're too kind.

Nowadays, most of the necessary ingredients to prepare vegan rice pancakes are ready-made. We can easily find coconut milk, rice flour, saffron powder and all kinds of vegetables and roots at the supermarket. Aside from tofu and fresh straw mushrooms as protein filling, depending on our taste, we can add vegan shrimp, vegan ham, vegan bacon, etc.

Daddy!

What is it, sweetie?

When will Mom be home? I miss the vegan rice pancake so much!

Huh? Vegan rice pancake? That’s super easy! Here’s the rice pancake’s ready-mix flour!

Whoa.. great!

I know how to do it now. Get ready to enjoy my cooking skills.

I remember Mom put vegetables and roots in there too!

Oh, really?!... Wait a minute.

Honey, when will you be home?

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow, honey!

Ah, Mom is back, Daddy!

I stopped by the supermarket to buy ingredients to make vegan rice pancake.

Are you tired from the trip, honey?

I’m doing fine, love.

I’ve prepared all the vegan proteins here.

Thank you, honey.

Show me how to make them.

Sure. So later you can make it for everyone, right?

Not a problem!

You need to mix in some coconut milk, vegan seasoning and salt to make the mixture more tasty, and a little bit of spring onion for aroma.

Really?

Add vegan bacon, vegan shrimp, vegan ham, mushroom, stir-fried carrot and cassava roots, and bean sprouts.

I see.

When the pancake turns golden, fold it in half, wait a little bit, then take it out.

Wow! So delicious!

Vegan rice pancakes can be dipped in sweet and sour sauce or soybean paste. The vegetables served with southern Aulacese vegan rice pancake are plentiful in variety, mainly mustard green, lettuce, mint, herbs, red perilla, houttuynia and cordata. One may add in other rural kinds of vegetables such as mangosteen shoots, sunshine tree leaves, mango shoots, and prema.

Vegan rice pancakes are often wrapped in a leaf of mustard green or lettuce, but some people also use an additional piece of thin rice paper softened with water to neatly wrap all the vegetables and vegan rice pancake inside, then dip everything in their favorite sauce and enjoy.

Oh, how I miss vegan rice pancake! Does anyone feel the same?

Valet! (Yes.) You saw Miss Hương make the pancake already. Why don’t you try to do it yourself?

Yes, I did, but... I gave it away already.

Gave to whom?

I gave it... to the trash can!

How come?

Because it was so “good!”

I’ve been thinking....

What’s on your mind, Your Honor?

Since I’m unoccupied with public work today, would you like to make another trip with me to that place to enjoy some vegan rice pancake?

What would be better than that?

Well then, get the carriage ready. We’ll set out today. (Yes. Right away!)

Vegan rice pancake is a very creative food; its filling can be very simple with just bean sprouts and fresh straw mushrooms, or more elaborate with various kinds of vegetables, roots and vegan proteins. As long as the rice pancake is made crispy with a sauce suited to taste and served right away, it’s always appetizing. Today, with most of the ingredients made readily available, vegan rice pancake can be prepared conveniently and quickly and is well-loved by all ages.

Thank you for watching our program featuring a traditional dish from southern Âu Lạc called Vegan Rice Pancake. Please tune in to Supreme Master Television for more on Aulacese specialty food and traditional cuisine in future broadcasts. Coming up is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. So long for now.

Supreme Master Ching Hai:Lighting Hope for a Harmonious World 
 Jesus’ Journey in India Interview with Dr. Steven Hairfield 

Most popular
 Meeting Babaji, the Great Immortal Saint
 One Pillar, Bút Tháp, & Vĩnh Nghiêm Pagodas in Northern Âu Lạc
 Miracles on the Path: "Surviving the Shock" & "Taking Care of the Family"
 How I Became Veg - Inspirational Real Life Stories
 Aulacese (Vietnamese) Churches: Phát Diệm Cathedral, La Vang Holy Land, & Đức Bà Church
 Miracles on the Path: “At the Hair Salon” & “Overcoming Addiction”
 Miracles on the Path: “To Breathe Again” & “Dropping the Butcher’s Knife”
 Miracles on the Path: “The Golden Hand” & “Ancient Buddha in the Sky”
 Niska: Painter of the Soul
 The 18th Supreme Master Ching Hai Day: Enduring Love & Light