A Journey through Aesthetic Realms

Traditional Folk Music from Northern Âu Lạc      
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

Âu Lạc (Vietnam) is a nation with a longstanding traditional culture. Aulacese musical heritage is bountiful; since ancient times, many soul-stirring musical instruments have been created with diverse sounds like those of the copper drum, gong, lithophone, bamboo xylophone, cymbals, and panpipe.

In 2003, Elegant Music, a style of Huế royal court music, was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as an intangible cultural heritage of the world. Âu Lạc’s music represents the unique features of each region, for example, Quan Họ folksongs in the north, Huế tunes in the central, and modern folk opera in the south. In addition, there are many other forms of music, including hò, lý, ceremonial songs, Aulacese classical theatre, chèo traditional opera, hồ quảng opera, and so on.

Indeed, the essence of music is imbued in the hearts of people in this beautiful country, and has been cultivated until this day.

Xẩm singing is an Aulacese genre used by the troubadours in the olden time. According to the Đại Nam National Language Dictionary compiled by scholar Paulus Huỳnh Tịnh Của, the word “xẩm” means “dark” or “blind.” Legend has it that xẩm singing was founded by Prince Trần Quốc Đĩnh, a son of King Trần Thánh Tông in the 13th century.

The prince himself became sightless after a calamity which forced him to live among the commoners. He kindheartedly taught xẩm singing to the blind to give them a means to earn a living by performing on the streets. Therefore, xẩm singing is often associated with blind minstrels.

Nowadays, wandering xẩm singing no longer exists, but has become an on-stage performance as a unique traditional art. Besides the main styles such as market, love or ten favors of gratitude, xẩm singers also perform other folk tunes beautifully. Musical instruments which accompany xẩm singing include the two-string lute, two-string vertical fiddle, a thin drum, a set of wooden bells, and sometimes the flute.

In a gathering with a small group of our Association members some years past, Supreme Master Ching Hai was inspired to spontaneously compose and sing in the xẩm style a poem she had written in her late 20s in Germany. The poem was originally written in English which the poet herself translated into Aulacese (Vietnamese).

We now invite you to enjoy an excerpt of the xẩm singing “We Don't Live More Than One Hundred Years!” composed and sung by Supreme Master Ching Hai.

SORRY darling if I could wait no more, I am not a nun, and never want to be so. You don’t wish to share your life, So let me go on my way!

I know you think I am crazy, But what difference will that be? I live my life as I please No matter what others think. Everyone has different things!

The arrival of spring awakes dormant buds, a little bird raises his clear voice singing, and myriad flowers display their sparkling colors.

Hear you not birds’ song calling forth springtime? A sky azure, a thousand flowers display their bright colors. Springtime on Earth also stirs in humans the yearning to return to a realm of beauty and peace .

We now invite you to enjoy the folk song from Hà Nam “Seeking the Fairies,” presented by vocalists Văn Nguyễn and Bảo Yến.

Gazing up to see the high mountain, the road leading inside is far.

Gazing up to see a precarious scenery, Evening falls on a rocky and deserted forest.

Sun shines upon the tea orchard Hear you not birds’ song calling forth springtime? A sky azure, a thousand flowers display their bright colors. Our love is as beautiful as the myriad blossoms.

Birds’ singing resounds The babbling brook is crooning a sweet song Birds’ singing resounds The babbling brook is crooning a sweet song The forest scent permeates the air At orchard’s end comes the sound of the wooden bell urging buffaloes home. Gazing up the slope to see a woodcutter Sitting by a green tree, leaning against the sacred mountain. Amidst floating incense smoke, leaning against the sacred mountain Floating incense smoke.

Birds’ singing resounds The babbling brook is crooning a sweet song

Birds’ singing resounds The babbling brook is crooning a sweet song

The forest scent permeates the air At orchard’s end comes the sound of the wooden bell urging buffaloes home. Gazing up the slope to see a woodcutter Sitting by a green tree, leaning against the sacred mountain. Amidst floating incense smoke, leaning against the sacred mountain Floating incense smoke.

I cross the mountain pass and streams with 3 quan (monetary unit)

I cross the mountain pass and streams with 3 quan.

Crossing mountains, passing forests, I hear three, four groups of fairies playing music. While the world celebrates springtime, I seek the loving fairies, in the fairy palace.

I cross the mountain pass and streams with 3 quan (monetary unit)

I cross the mountain pass and streams with 3 quan.

Crossing mountains, passing forests, I hear three, four groups of fairies playing music. While the world celebrates springtime, I seek the loving fairies, in the fairy palace.

An elder sister with her God-given special role always looks after her younger siblings with the gentlest loving care. Her sweet lullaby carries her wish for them to attain success and lead a happy life.

Only when you achieve academic success, Will I feel contented and at peace. We invite you to enjoy the Northern Aulacese folk song “An Elder Sister’s Lullaby,” presented by Tú Anh.

I’m gazing at the west, where a high mountain casts its shadow The north-east wind blows in from the fields. I’m gazing at the east, As the ferry passes, I gaze at the river pier, longing for Mother to come home.

Bamboo branches sway and creak Swallows fly back to the southern sky. Sleep well, little one. Sleep sound, my sweet one. I’m carrying you in my arms You’re so young to know anything. Soon you will talk and walk. Slowly you will grow up. Only when you achieve success, will I feel contented and at peace.

I’m carrying you in my arms You’re so young to know anything. Soon you will talk and walk. Slowly you will grow up. Only when you achieve success, will I feel contented and at peace. You grow up and become wiser each day. May you sleep well, every day.

Quan Họ is an Aulacese ancient folk song genre which is very popular in the delta region of northern Âu Lạc. This singing style expresses sweet sentiments; it is rich in tunes and closely associated with activities taking place at the courtyard in the temple or communal house, by the banyan tree or river pier. Quan Họ’s content often portrays the importance of kindness and loyalty in all relations in the family and community.

The young women of Hà Nội, both skilful and hard-working, weave their singing into every silk piece of fabric made from plants and every tender embroidery to adorn this endearing life. I spin the thread and thread the needle I embroider my faithful love into a scarlet crepe kerchief and send it to you. The Quan Họ folk song “Threading the Needle” will be presented by Minh Hằng. Please enjoy.

I spin the thread and thread the needle I sit spinning the thread and thread the needle. I embroider my faithful love into a scarlet crepe kerchief and send it to you. I’m sending it to you.

Blades of the fan hold intact our faithful love. Oh how I cherish the fan! I spin the thread and thread the needle I sit spinning the thread and thread the needle. I embroider my faithful love into a scarlet crepe kerchief and send it to you. I send it to you. Held by the spider’s thread I’m held by the thread of love Held by the spider’s thread We’ve fallen in love with each other. May I be cherished in your heart. May I be cherished in your heart.

Supreme Master Ching Hai has sent gifts to the artists contributing to Âu Lạc’s traditional folk music program on Supreme Master Television. They expressed their gratefulness to Master’s love.

Singer Tú Anh, who performed the folk song “An Elder Sister’s Lullaby”:

Respectful greetings to Supreme Master Ching Hai and Supreme Master Television’s viewers. I’m Hoàng Tú Anh. I performed the song “An Elder Sister’s Lullaby,” a Hà Nam folk song just broadcast.

As I participated in the recording of the song “An Elder Sister’s Lullaby,” I learned about vegan foods and took part in this vegan cuisine fair. I feel very happy. Although I’ve never met Supreme Master Ching Hai, I’m very touched by her heart, that in the world there is a person who is very compassionate and magnanimous. I can feel that from the camera crew; everyone is very kind. I also love animals a lot. I wish Master Ching Hai good health always and a happy Lunar New Year.

On New Year, may everyone love one another and love our world as much as we love ourselves. Let’s Be Veg, Go Green 2 Save the Planet!

May Supreme Master Ching Hai be healthy and enjoy a peaceful New Year.

Thank you for watching today’s program introducing some traditional folk music genres from northern Âu Lạc. Please tune in to Supreme Master Television for more Aulacese folk music in future broadcasts.

Coming up next is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. So long for now.

Cambodian Living Arts: Revitalizing the Traditional Heritage 
 Happy Lunar New Year! from Our Association Members & Friends 

Most popular
 Meeting Babaji, the Great Immortal Saint
 One Pillar, Bút Tháp, & Vĩnh Nghiêm Pagodas in Northern Âu Lạc
 Miracles on the Path: "Surviving the Shock" & "Taking Care of the Family"
 How I Became Veg - Inspirational Real Life Stories
 Aulacese (Vietnamese) Churches: Phát Diệm Cathedral, La Vang Holy Land, & Đức Bà Church
 Miracles on the Path: “At the Hair Salon” & “Overcoming Addiction”
 Miracles on the Path: “To Breathe Again” & “Dropping the Butcher’s Knife”
 Miracles on the Path: “The Golden Hand” & “Ancient Buddha in the Sky”
 Niska: Painter of the Soul
 The 18th Supreme Master Ching Hai Day: Enduring Love & Light