A Journey through Aesthetic Realms

Mongolian Traditional Clothing: Comfort and Elegance      
Download    
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Mongolian, with subtitles in Arabic, Aulacese (Vietnamese), Aulacese (Vietnamese), Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.

Greetings to all your international viewers and friends on behalf of the people of Mongolia. Mongolians have a long history of traditional clothing.

Greetings, gracious viewers, and welcome to A Journey through Aesthetic Realms on Supreme Master Television. The nomadic Mongolian people are known for their forthright personality, skilled horsemanship, and regal traditional clothes. The colorful costumes have been developed over the past 2200 years to suit their unique way of life on the rolling steppes.

Whether during winter or summer, whether they are camping by a yurt or dancing at a festival, the Mongolian outfit is always protective, comfortable, and elegant. Today, in the first of a 2-part program, we will have an in-depth look at this precious cultural heritage through our interviews with distinguished Mongolian scientist Professor Dulam Sendenjav and participants of the 2010 Mongolian Deel Festival, which honors the clothing heritage of the nation.

In the “Secret History of Mongolia,” there is a quote by Bodanchir the Wise: “Humans have brotherhood as a deel has a collar.” It means that our traditional clothing reflects the king and subordinates and the culture of leadership and being led and united.

The traditional outer attire of Mongolians includes a tunic called the deel, the belt, the boots, the hat, the hairdress, as well as accessories.

This is our Mongol deel. There are various fashion styles of the Mongol deel. There are deels for kings, aristocrats, and everyday people. The unique thing about the Mongol deel is that it has a collar. Here it is. It has this upper part. Here is the side, down here. And the sleeves are made loose. We made our deel manually using a sewing machine. In the past deels were made by hand. It is trimmed with three lines. Deels for kings and aristocrats were always handmade and had special decorations, cloaks, and hats.

Our ancestors used to wear this top. It is open in front. Sleeves are loose. It has such a lower part.

Married Mongolian women wear an outer garment over the deel call “uuj.” It conveys high morals and trustfulness.

There is a saying that “a woman without an ‘uuj’ is a peaceful woman.” This means that a woman who is not married has no responsibility on her back and has freedom. Once she puts on an “uuj,” it means that her responsibility becomes heavier and greater for the family. If they become a widow, they take off the “uuj.” This is the clothing of a woman, married and living with her husband.

The belt represents dignity and protection of fortune for Mongolian men, and must be handled with care. When two men exchange their belts, it symbolizes their promise to support each other through good as well as challenging times.

It is said that a man’s destiny is kept in his belt. That is why belts are not to be placed somewhere randomly or down on the ground, and when one is sleeping it is kept tied in a special pattern called a “rabbit ear.”

If there is one thing that’s more sacred than the belt, it would be the hat, as it is always placed on top of the belt and other clothes when they are not in use.

A Mongol hat has such a shape. To start from the top, a Mongolian hat always has this red ribbon. This ribbon is tied making a special pattern and design called “ulzii.” This flame symbolizes that the Mongol nation is always kept upward like a flame. Hence, Mongolians are called “Red-ribbon Mongolians.”

A raised top represents high saintly mountains. Inside it is blue, symbolizing a high mountain becoming a blue ocean. From here, tassels come out with 64 or 32 pieces hanging down. This symbolizes 32 and 64 ethnic groups that spread out from the Mongol nation.

The highlights of a Mongolian wife’s costume include the deel, the hat and hairdress, and the ornaments made of silver and jewelry.

People can see whether a woman is married or not. The clothing shows. Deels for married women have pleats in the shoulders. Yet, deels for young girls have no such a thing, and this is called “tatakham.” This is all for young girls, front and back.

This is a knife. Girls get married and live with their in-laws. When a daughter gets married, parents prepare a full set of clothing for her. This has all necessary utensils. A knife. It is a very useful household tool.

Can you take it out and show it to us?

This is a knife.

This is a lighter. Woman work in kitchen and had to have lighter. This is very old stuff. This is used to make a fire, and when you grind it on top of hay and wood, it makes fire. This is a pincher. If something goes in here, it picks it up.

This hat’s round shape has more detailed parts. There are 11 parts to it. It is said that it will represent family. Buryat know their 11 generations background. It is believed that Buryat has 11 fathers. This means that the clan is born from 11 fathers.

This hat has a raised top part. On top of one’s head, there are important spots. It is designed not to put pressure on them. Everyone has energy in himself or herself. We are surrounded by a rainbow colored aura. So, when it has such a high top it makes it conducive to receive energy from the sky.

These shoes have a special design. This helps a person to walk faster and not to disturb the earth’s soil.

How comfortable is it?

Very comfortable. For instance, here in the lower part, it is loose, right? This is for a married woman and for a pregnant woman. It makes walking free and easy.

The choice of colors of the costumes reflects the surrounding natural environment and belief system of the wearer.

This blue color top symbolizing Lake Baikal represents water. There is a small island in the Baikal Lake called Oikhon. This ribbon represents Oikhon Island which reminds of praying to the Oikhon Heaven. This is the meaning. This white color symbolizes and supports the destiny of a human.

It symbolizes purity.

It means purity and cleanliness.

Black and red is the life being lived and there is always a fight between these two. Yet, black and red always go together. This shows the life that people live.

Does the white color being on top mean that it always wins over red and black?

Yes, yes.

Does it mean that a pure and clean heart is the best of the best one can have? (Yes.)

During our reporting at the 2010 Mongolian Deel Festival, we were fortunate to meet the grand prize winners. Let’s found out what they are wearing.

We are very delighted about winning the first prize. I think this is in appreciation of our traditional costumes and the generous blessings of my fellow Mongolian people. The costume we are wearing belongs to the 13th century and the period of Genghis Khan.

This deel was made by Ms. Lhagvaa. She designed the color, button points and collar according to how it would have been suitable to that type of person. This is the most likely version of design in those days. Mongolian costumes are not only worn by us but also by foreigners, and I am very pleased with the fact that they are also appreciated by them.

My deel was designed by Ms. Tungalag, an artist who painted the portrait of Genghis Khan, and was made by Mr. Ganaa. This part facing west means to obtain wealth. I am very pleased that I won first place in this festival.

Could you explain in detail about your deel? Why does it have such patterns?

This deel has a meaning behind it. It has no buttons. In ancient times, deels had no buttons. This is to keep the deel loose so that it is airy and the sunlight can penetrate it to give energy to the body. This is to receive energy from Heaven and from nature.

The graceful and practical, traditional Mongolian clothes reflect a life in harmony with nature. Please join us for part 2 tomorrow, where we will find out about ethnic varieties of Mongolian costumes and the influence of the exquisite apparel on other parts of the world.

Righteous viewers, thank you for your company on today’s episode of A Journey through Aesthetic Realms on Supreme Master Television. Please stay tuned to Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. May the heavenly sound stream uplift your soul.
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Mongolian, with subtitles in Arabic, Aulacese (Vietnamese), Aulacese (Vietnamese), Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.

Pure-hearted viewers, welcome to A Journey through Aesthetic Realms on Supreme Master Television. Today to conclude our two-part series on traditional Mongolian clothing, we will look at the diversity of these costumes among various Mongolian ethnic groups, and how this cultural treasure has influenced other parts of the world. We will hear from distinguished Mongolian scientist Dr. Dulam Sendenjav, fashion designer Uyanga Tsembel, and participants of the 2010 Mongolian Deel Festival.

A Mongolian costume is very abundant, thus it constitutes many kinds of details. In Mongolia, there are more than 20 ethnic groups; all those have about 400 kinds of deel, 20 kinds of hats and belts, as well as 20 or 10 kinds of boots. According to the many ethnic group differences, like, their way of living, the characteristic of the territory, traditions of the ancient times, the differences in age, gender, as well as their title or position, all ethnic groups garments differ from one another.

First, let’s look at the costumes of the Khalkh, the largest ethnic group, which represents over 80% of the total Mongolian population.

I came from Dornod Province to participate in this Mongol Deel Festival. Very recently I also attended an Eastern regional trade fair of traditional clothing and won the Grand Prize for my costumes. I am wearing a costume of a married woman of the Khalkh ethnic group. I made this myself. After retirement, I started engaging in the making of traditional clothing. I wear it often and feel so proud of being a Mongolian.

Why does the upper part of this Mongolian deel face this direction?

It has a meaning. We say “Khurai” by hand like that.

This is called “Khurai,” meaning “harvest” or “to keep within.” We offer to our ancestors and receive their blessings, and when we get presents we put them into our chest pocket. That is why it is on this side. When we receive presents we make a gesture clockwise to express our thankfulness.

Could you please explain now about the costume you are wearing?

My deel is called “Khaj magnag.” This embroidery made around the dragon is an ancient traditional Mongolian art called coin knitting. This is made with coin knitting. I made this costume purposely for this festival. And I put on a belt worn by Mongolian men. We say the body is inside the belt, inside the body exists the soul.

This means that the belt protects the body and the body protects the soul. Mongolians keep the belt tight, which means keeping your soul strong. The reason why I wear a hat is that there are no Mongolians without hats. The head is inside the hat, and inside the head exists the world. Ancient Mongolians respected their hats.

Could you explain to us about your hairstyle?

This is called the third eye of ancient Mongolians. The third eye is hidden behind the hair. It means not to lose anything of yours, but harvest it within.

The Kazakh people are a Muslim ethnic group which account for about 4% of the country’s population. Their clothing features elaborate embroideries and a characteristic women’s headdress and short-sleeved overcoat.

We are attending from Songino Khairkhan District with traditional costumes of Kazakh nations. Our traditional costume has a long history. This embroidery is handmade and by sewing machine. This is all handmade. This was made by my wife. This is a silver belt. Same as Khalkh Mongolians, we also have a tradition of wearing silver belts. This is a knife. This is called a “Chinjaal” knife. This in the back is called Ekse.

What is it used for?

This is a belt. These are used for hanging other appliances and hand tools.

This white cloak is worn by elderly people. This is one kind of decoration which is used to keep women’s hair nicely and it is called “Bursh Dama,” but we ourselves name it as “Kasal keste.” We did all these decorations including this “Kasal keste.” This is included in all our decorations. I spent two months to make all my clothing, handmade by needle.

What do these decorations of the Kazakh costume mean?

This is called “goyo-todrek.”

Todrek is made for decorative purposes. It was made in olden time. Wearing traditional Kazakh clothing makes you feel proud of your culture and heritage.

Besides Khalkh and Kazakh, other Mongolian ethic groups include Dorvod, Bayad, Buryat, Dariganga, Zahchin, and Urianhai. Each can be identified by the distinct variations in their costumes. The beginning of Mongolian rich clothing heritage can be traced back to more than 2200 years ago, before the era of Khunnu.

It originated in the Stone Age. And then it became more developed during the period of Khunnu, where the Mongolian deel with collar originated, which has either a right or left barter. There were special instructions to wear Mongolian garments in the Khunnu period.

The generation and development can be divided in 4 categories: First, ancient times; second, Middle Ages or the 13th century, third, later time or up to the 17th -19th centuries; and finally, modern times or up to the 21st century. So it has evolved and changed over a long time.

One of the features of our traditional clothing is that it is closely linked to state rituals and religion. For instance, it is said that the hat represents blooming state, deel represents expanding state, outer deel for strong state, belt for fulfilling state, and shoes for supporting state. At the ancient time, Mongolians used to show the culture of symbolism of Mongolian customs during state events, ritual, and ceremony.

Sometimes these are even reflected in oral and written laws and regulations. Specially, during official, state high-level diplomatic visits, state attendants and officials strictly followed the rules of wearing special clothing and performing rituals. Even ordinary citizens followed a clothing code during festivity and ceremony including the Lunar New Year, etc.

Through centuries of cultural blending, many elements displayed on Mongolian costumes can also be found on the clothing designs of neighboring countries.

Mongolia was a great empire in the ancient times. Yes, since after the dependency of Manchurian Empire, our Mongolian national costume became reliant on the costume of Manchurian Empire. Thus the Manchuria took the style of our Mongolian costume style, extended and spread it over Southeast Asian countries throughout history.

While studying the clothing style of Bogd Khan Jebtsundamba, who is a spiritual head and monarch of Mongolia, I discovered reflections of much symbolism related to Indian, Tibetan, and Mongolian history.

So, the deel of a Mongol king had 9 dragons described. But Manchurian kings had 5 dragons described on their clothing. As Mongolians worship the number nine, they described nine dragons on the outer deel. So, from laymen to noblemen, Mongolians have reflected their belief in the decorations of their deel.

Today, traditional costumes play an indispensable role in presenting the magnificent Mongolian culture to people from all over the world.

The Mongol deel is a part of our identity and Mongolians are increasingly appreciating their national culture and traditions, wearing deels more often. I am very proud of it. Also foreign tourists are very interested in our national costumes and they are often seen wearing them.

What do you think about Mongolian traditional deel?

I like it a lot. That’s why I very much want it. And I bought one and also have made one several months ago, because I want to have a real nice deel which also reflects my work which is with water in Ulaanbaatar, so it is the blue color of the water and I like this a lot. It feels comfortable to wear.

Could you please share with us your impressions?

I am very happy to participate in this event together with foreigners who came from overseas.

You have participated together and won this prize?

Yes. We won it together.

What ethnic group does your costume belong to?

This is a costume of the Zakhchin ethnic group.

I’ve been in Mongolia for almost three years. So I have started to feel little bit like Mongol, and that’s why I have participated of course.

Please come and join us in the Mongol Deel Festival. And wear Mongol deel.

I would like to encourage all children to wear the Mongol deel.

I would like to tell modern youths to be more conscious about their ancestors’ customs and culture and be compassionate for our world and love our world.

We sincerely thank Professor Dulam Sendenjav, Ms. Uyanga Tsembel, and participants of the Mongolian Deel Festival for introducing the fascinating traditional Mongolian costumes. From the dazzling colors, elegant motifs, lavish ornaments, and practical designs, we appreciate evermore the continuing pursuit of truth, virtue and beauty of a noble people. May the rich cultural heritage of the great nation of Mongolia flourish in Heaven’s abundant blessings.

Honorable viewers, thank you for being with us today on A Journey through Aesthetic Realms on Supreme Master Television.

Coming up next is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. May Heaven’s grace bring joy to your loving heart.

Ullambana – Remembering the Divine Love that Saves Humanity 
 Al-Muwahhidūn al Dururz: A Religion of Peace 

Most popular
 Meeting Babaji, the Great Immortal Saint
 One Pillar, Bút Tháp, & Vĩnh Nghiêm Pagodas in Northern Âu Lạc
 Miracles on the Path: "Surviving the Shock" & "Taking Care of the Family"
 How I Became Veg - Inspirational Real Life Stories
 Aulacese (Vietnamese) Churches: Phát Diệm Cathedral, La Vang Holy Land, & Đức Bà Church
 Miracles on the Path: “At the Hair Salon” & “Overcoming Addiction”
 Miracles on the Path: “To Breathe Again” & “Dropping the Butcher’s Knife”
 Miracles on the Path: “The Golden Hand” & “Ancient Buddha in the Sky”
 Niska: Painter of the Soul
 The 18th Supreme Master Ching Hai Day: Enduring Love & Light