Download

"Children's Health & Sustainable Planet" Jeju International Conference P6/8 September 21 2009 Jeju Island, S. Korea    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (139MB)    MP4(205MB)  
You are watching Words of Wisdom Rebroadcast of Live Videoconference with Supreme Master Ching Hai 『Children's Health & Sustainable Planet』 Jeju International Conference Jeju Island,S. Korea - September 21,2009

Grace (f): And now, worldwide viewers and

Supreme Master Ching Hai, we have a special surprise for you. The NGOs in Jeju have started something very important and meaningful.

Callie (f): Let's now hear the exciting news from Mr. Lee Yong-Jung, Policy Chairperson of the Jeju Coalition for Children's Health. Mr. Lee,would you share the news?

Mr. Lee Yong-Jung (m): Yes. Nice to meet you. During this conference, we have once again confirmed that people want us to take more proactive action. Last April, the National Assembly passed the Diet Education Assistance Act. It will take effect in November and we are going to make regulations. And last September 4th, we declared that we would have an organic vegan day once a week according to the IPCC recommendation.

And in May next year, we will have local elections as well. Therefore, with these 3 changes, I think we need to move forward into a brighter future. For the sake of Jeju Island and to unite with the global community, I think it is an obligation that should be kept in our hearts. In December, we are preparing for a large scale civil-society agreement. It aims at ensuring both children's health and agricultural community revival.

In the agreement, we need to make sure we practice eating a vegan meal at least once a week. For the local elections next year,we will need to work 10-20 times harder than we did in 2004 in order to have candidates for gubernatorial governor, superintendents of schools,and provincial governors come up with policy ideas that address children's health problems,revival of agricultural communities, and global warming issues. In 2004,our efforts bore fruit when they passed the School Meal Assistance Act. We all have to make efforts for these things.

Grace(f): Amazing.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Beautiful, beautiful news! I like this kind of surprise every day. Thank you, thank you,thank you, Jeju,thank you!

Callie (f): Yes indeed, it is great to see Jeju setting a shining example of becoming more vegan for the whole world to follow. And the quickest solution for climate change is for all of us to adopt a vegan diet; so the courageous NGOs here in Jeju are helping to save our planet.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Yes.

Grace (f): Yes,history is being made here this evening by the 49 noble NGOs of Jeju.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Thank you, thank you so much. All the NGOs of Jeju, thank you. God bless you.

Grace (f): Callie,would you like to introduce these 49 amazing organizations to the world?

Callie (f): I'll be honored to. First,educational NGOs, we have: Community Mothers' Society; National Chamgyoyook Parents Association, Jeju Branch; Society of Chairs of School Steering Committees; Jeju Network of National Study Room; Jeju Ecology Nurturing Association; Jeju Nursery Federation; Jeju Foster Care Center; The Korean Federation of Teachers' Association, Jeju Branch; The Korean Teachers & Education Workers' Union,Jeju Branch.

And for environmental NGOs,we have: Gotchawal People; Korean Federation for Environmental Movement,Jeju Branch; People's Solidarity for Participatory Environment, Jeju Branch; Jeju Island Agenda 21; Teachers' Solidarity for the Environment and Life; EM Environmental Center; Green Jeju Institute.

And for health NGOs, we have: Public Service Union for Medicine,Jeju Branch; Jeju Coalition for Environment-friendly Domestic Agricultural Product School Meals; Korea Consumers' Cooperative Federation, Jeju Branch; Jeju Natural Healing Society; The Korean Dietetic Association,Jeju Branch; NORIRO.COM; Korean Pharmaceutical Association,Jeju Branch; HANSALIM Organic Cooperative Union, Jeju Branch.

Now,moving on to agricultural NGOs,we have: Jeju United Eco Agricultural Organizations; Korean Women Peasant Association, Jeju Branch; HEUKSALIM Organic Farming Association, Jeju Branch; Korean Agriculture Farmers Federation, Jeju Branch; National Farmers Federation,Jeju Branch; Korean Catholic Jeju District `Save Agriculture' Movement Headquarters; Agricultural Cooperative Eco Working Council, Jeju Branch; Jeju Agriculture Research Institute.

And last but not least, the remaining organizing NGOs,we have: Korean Cooperation of Trade Unions, Jeju Branch; Jeju YWCA; Citizens' Coalition for Economic Justice, Jeju Branch; Jeju Cultural Forum, Women's Association; Jeju Young Korean Academy; New Intellectual Association,Jeju Branch; Jeju Association for Women's Rights; Community Chest of Korea; Jeju Council on Social Welfare; Coalition of Economic Independence for The Disabled; Jeju Inhabitants Autonomy Coalition; Korean Federation for The Disabled,Jeju DPI; Tamrha Autonomy Coalition; Jeju Differently Abled Federation; Jeju Alternative Institute Community.

Callie (f): These are the NGOs who organized today's conference and have taken initiatives in creating a green planet for our children.

Grace (f): Viewers and the audience, let's give our warmest applause for these absolutely beautiful NGOs who are helping to save the world!

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Thank you,thank you. God bless you.

Callie (f): And Mr. Lee Yong-Jung here on this stage has played a major role in implementing the vegan initiative.

Grace (f): And he has a question for Supreme Master Ching Hai. Mr. Lee, please ask your question.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Welcome.

Mr. Lee Yong-Jung (m): Today,scientists and experts came together and discussed various aspects. I wonder whether Supreme Master Ching Hai could share with us what you think is the current condition of the Earth. Also,I wonder whether you could share with us the brightest news and the most serious news among the most recent updates about climate change.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Hallo,Mr. Lee. Thank you for what you have been doing, you and all the NGOs, for this conference, as well as all the NGOs in Jeju who have helped to save our planet. I am very touched by your obvious dedication to children's health through your profession and that you seek to bring them the highest level of vitality and happiness through the vegan diet. As we have mentioned early already,this is the best and most effective way to heal the planet, so this work that you do on behalf of the future generations is already smiled upon by Heaven and thanked by the Earth.

Since you ask about how I see the current situation of our planet, I have to tell you honestly that I do see it as being very,very urgent. I am sure you will agree. I am sure many others will agree. And I,of course, agree with the esteemed scientists who so generously gave their time to speak today about the impacts of climate change, as well as the solutions for it. As Dr. Pachauri reminded us,the effects of global warming are already being felt on a daily basis by the vulnerable throughout the world, the poor and the helpless already, the children in every corner of our planet.

So it is an urgent situation indeed. In fact,some scientists are now saying that without more ambitious,courageous, and unprecedented emission stopping goals than what many nations currently have in place, our globe will soon exceed a two-degree temperature increase, which means disaster for life on Earth. Regarding your question about updates,Mr. Lee, I would say that the most serious one is the frightening prospect of runaway global warming, the frightening aspect that nations will not do enough to stop it.

This has been described by scientists as the conditions that will trigger out-of-control climate change effects, thus spiraling the world into the catastrophe of massive greenhouse gas release. This runaway warming of the climate could easily be caused by melting permafrost, which is the frozen soil extending across the vast expanse of the Arctic tundra. As the permafrost melts, it releases methane stored underground. Since 2007, scientists have seen more and more evidence of methane from permafrost melt, with recent discoveries of pure methane gas bubbling up from the bottom of the Arctic lakes in both northern Canada and Russia.

This situation is so alarming that six national laboratories in the US are now evaluating it,along with Russian scientists and the UN Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change, where Chairman Dr. Pachauri has referred to the potential for 『abrupt,irreversible climate change』 from the melting permafrost. This irreversible effect, we want to avoid at all costs,Mr. Lee, especially since it may not be as far away as we would like to think. But let's end with the other update you asked about, the most hopeful one.

I would say the most hopeful is that more and more people are becoming aware of the real solution, which is to be veg. You have heard some of the scientists today such as Dr. Pachauri and Mr. Joop Lohuis also talk about the importance of doing so. The more people who eliminate meat and,indeed, all animal products from their lives,the more we have a chance to save the planet and not only that, to actually restore our earthly home to her original grace and beauty and even more so, more than what we have known, more beautiful, more abundant, more peace, more gladness than what we have known up to now.

And there will be more incredible inventions to come if our Earth restores itself, leading a life of compassionate,merciful and peaceful existence with all beings on this planet. So please, be a part of the solution and join in first by being vegan yourself and helping to spread this message as much, as quickly as possible: Be Veg, Go Green, Save the Planet. And please regularly check out www.SupremeMasterTV.com for updates on the current climate situation.

You see,there's no need to ask me about my intuition or what I see inside through meditation. We can determine the knowledge about our climate problem as well as the future of our Earth by studying the facts,the data and the evidence from the scientific standpoint. But Mr Lee,I still have much hope,Mr Lee. I have a very positive hopeful feeling. I still have it. I don't give up on our home yet. I feel that the world is changing. I feel that the leaders are listening. I feel that the people of the planet want to save their home.

I feel that they love their children. I feel that they will do something to save their children. I am working with you and everyone else who cares about the planet to bring this hope into realization. I don't have children per se,but I love all the children. And my positive feeling doesn't leave me yet. Although I see the change,it's too slow for my liking, but I still have very great hope,Mr. Lee. Please pray with me, pray with us so that the whole planet's people wake up in time to save everybody. Thank you,Mr. Lee, thank you. I'm sorry, I'm quite emotional.

Grace (f): Thank you, Supreme Master Ching Hai, for this very touching response.

Callie (f): Yes,and we also share your compassion. Our next question is for Dr. Greger. And this question is from Reverend Kim Sang-Geun, the President of Jeju Consumer's Cooperation, and Director of Jeju Alternative Institute Community.

Grace (f): It will be answered by Dr. Michael Greger.

Callie (f): Reverend,please share your question.

Rev. Kim Sang-Geun (m): Right now, swine flu is a big problem around the world. We also worry new diseases may occur in addition to swine flu. So,I think there is not much we can do to protect ourselves from the diseases except strengthening our immune system. Especially our children, who have a weaker immune system than adults, they desperately need protection from these diseases. What is the best way to strengthen the immune systems of children? And what is your advice for families,NGOs, as well as the government? Thank you.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Thank you.

Grace (f): Thank you for the timely question, Reverend Kim. Dr. Greger has specially answered it. Let's watch it now.

Dr. Greger (m): Well,to prevent future pandemics we must end the industrial production of animals for food. Or even better, as a recent editorial in the official journal of the largest organization of public health professionals on the planet advised, cease eating animals altogether. And in terms of protecting ourselves during the current pandemic, we've known for 20 years that the immune function of those eating vegetarian is actually superior to those eating meat.

First published in 1989, research at the German Cancer Research Center found that although vegetarians had the same number of these immune system white blood cells, compared to meat eaters the white blood cells of vegetarians were twice as effective in destroying target cells, either cancer cells or virus infected cells. So,eating a plant-based diet, a vegan diet, may protect us not only for the future pandemics, but the current pandemic as well.

Callie (f): Thank you,Dr. Greger. It was a very informative and inspiring response. Our next question is for Dr. Hwang Seong-Soo. And the question is from Ms. Ji Geum-Sook, Vice-Chairperson of Jeju Kindergarten Association.

Ms. Ji Geum-Sook (f): Nice to meet you. Recently,children's health is in danger due to foods contaminated with agricultural chemicals, endocrine disruptors, food additives,etc.,and the number of children who are suffering from ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is rapidly increasing. Please tell us how to prevent these diseases caused by dietary habits and introduce us to natural treatment methods if there are any. Thank you.

Dr. Hawng Seong-Soo (m): Yes,I think it is definitely a big concern if you have children or babies. Our human body has the ability to adapt; therefore,however harmful the cause,we will feel uncomfortable in the beginning, but if it's repeated, we won't feel it so seriously later on or won't feel anything about it at all later on. That is one of the characteristics of our body. This characteristic is not very advantageous to us because it helps us adapt to bad things. But it is also good in that it helps us to adapt to good habits as well.

We call our habits 『second nature.』 According to my understanding, it means our habit is very difficult to change. All of us know that the various additives that you mentioned earlier such as MSG, endocrine disruptors, change our children's behavior and thoughts considerably. I think there is no remedy to prevent these except to avoid them and not eat them. Then,we should continuously educate our children to help them understand the harmful effects of those foods and restrict them.

In order to do that ,we need to educate not only children but also parents on an oNGOing basis about how harmful those foods are. In addition,I think we also need some measures or we need to put on some pressure to prohibit the production of these foods fundamentally so that children have no access to harmful foods, or at least reduce the chance of having access to these harmful foods.

Everyone would agree that those substances basically destroy the growing generation's health; therefore,it will cause serious problems for them later in maintaining their health. I wish people could understand that it causes many more problems than we think,but they do not understand why ; therefore,it is very pitiful. I think the only way to solve the problem is for everyone to realize it and work together to prevent it from home, at school,in society.

Callie (f): Thank you, Dr. Hwang Seong-Soo, for providing your expertise,and also to Ms. Ji Geum-Sook for raising a concern shared by many parents.

Grace (f): And our next question is for Supreme Master Ching Hai.

Callie (f): And it comes from Mr. Jua Yong-Cheol, the award-winning journalist of Jeju Sori. Mr. Jua?

Mr. Jua Yong-Cheol (m): Recently, the Korean movie 『He-un-de』 about a mega tsunami enjoyed great popularity in Korea. The movie has a warning message about natural disasters due to global warming. In reality,off the screen, I think we are also facing very serious disasters from climate change, so it's time for citizens and governments to wake up and tackle the problem head-on. Please,help list the top five ways to cope with global warming that we can carry out in daily life. And please advise on the role of the press and the media.

Supreme Master Ching Hai: Nice to meet you. Thank you for your question. Thank you for coming to this beautiful event. Congratulations on your media award which you truly deserve. He has many,many awards. He's an award-winning journalist. He's a very famous journalist. So I congratulate him. Nice to hear of your commitment as a media member in the matter of global warming,which is, indeed,very important. You have a unique opportunity to be able to make a positive difference in people's lives as a journalist.

As you have asked, I can surely list the top five priorities in facing climate change. Beginning with the most important,they are: Number 1 - be veg and preserve all life, including the environment. This means a lifestyle free of animal products. Eliminating meat and dairy, and consuming only plant-based food, it's the biggest and most significant change anyone can make to address global warming. And it works. It really works.

Especially now that the scientists are saying that the methane and other gases from livestock raising are responsible for more than 50% of all global warming. So if we want to stop the most contributor of all global warming, then we have to stop meat production. It's very simple and logical and scientific. Besides that,we also know from science that methane traps something like 72 times more heat than CO2 in the atmosphere.

But the good news is that methane is shorter lived, so if we stop producing it, this gas will disappear quickly from the atmosphere, unlike carbon dioxide, which can last for thousands of years. Besides stopping 50% - I mean even more than that, this is just a very conservative estimate - there are many more other crucial benefits.

It solves our water scarcity problem, our world hunger crisis, and land degradation and pollution problem. If you compare to a vegan diet, a meat diet uses up to 17 times as much land, 14 times as much water, and 10 times as much energy. Imagine? We produce enough cereals to feed the entire human population over, abundantly. Yet,1 billion people are hungry,and 10.9 million young children die every year - that's one child dying every 5 seconds while we have abundance of food to feed all the world population and more, two times over even.

On the other hand, about 1 billion people suffer obesity and related diseases, from eating too much or too much meat. Korea has to import pig's feed,costing hundreds of billions of won (that is hundreds of millions of US dollars) each year. This is not to talk about the suffering of the 10 million pigs and several millions of cows in Korea each year as well. So there are many,many practical reasons to be veg,aside from the compassionate nature that is cultivated by preserving all life. This is important,too. But if people just start with the vegan diet, the care for all life will also come by the way.

Number 2 - be green. These are actions to protect the environment such as planting trees, developing sustainable energy,and driving hybrid cars,etc. Of course,this includes the green diet, the vegan diet.

Number 3 - be frugal, meaning don't use more than what we need and appreciate what we have. The resources nature has given to us are precious and limited. We can't abuse it because only when we spend wisely will they last.

Number 4 - do good deeds. This means being considerate, thinking about and doing things for others, which make them happy, and being kind to both humans and animal co-inhabitants.

Number 5 - pray, pray fervently. This is also very important. Pray to Heaven, to all the Buddhas, to gods,to all the angels who are helping to awaken us. Pray to all the animals that we have harmed and tortured directly or indirectly by consuming meat - pray for their forgiveness. Pray for Heaven's protection and forgiveness as well. Pray all the gods to help awaken us on time to save our home. We have to pray sincerely and act swiftly. We truly cannot do this by ourselves alone. We must repent for all the harm done to the Earth and her inhabitants and ask again and again for forgiveness.

And we have to reverse our action. And the best way to repent is to make an effort to change. Turn around, do what is good. Refrain from all what is bad. Mr. Jua,these things are so easy to do! Truly they are easy, even children can do it. And they are sure to make a difference. I have mentioned many times in the past how impressed I am with the Korean people's strength and sincerity.

If all the brave-hearted Korean people join in and just follow number 1, be veg,your country would be transformed in no time. All the anxiety about global warming would fade, because you would be assured of protection and would also be free of the dangerous hormones that are transmitted through meat eating for yourself and for your tender,fragile children. These potent hormones, like adrenalin,are present in the flesh of all the animals because,like us, they panic upon knowing they will die. When adults or children ingest it,they feel restless,anxious,afraid. To eliminate this element from Korean life would immediately have a calming effect, I guarantee you.

So Mr. Jua please, tell as many people as you can through your profession and otherwise to be veg, to do good,and be good, and save our planet. Be a fine example for the world. This is exactly the role the media should have, like that of a true,honest friend to human society: warning everyone of any harmful situation; bringing new connections and data to light, like the urgent link between meat and global warming; giving chances for people to choose a better way of life; and being a brave voice, a heroic voice especially for the voiceless, including animals who suffer so much,so much, because we are all related and affected. The world needs the media's noble service and leadership.

So please,again, once more I ask you and all the courageous journalists to do what you do best, tell the truth about how we are to save the planet. Thank you. God bless you. And by the way, if you ever need any more up-to-date info and you're too busy to get on the internet, please check out our website, www.SupremeMasterTV.com/SOS for the latest facts and figures. God bless you.

Grace (f): Thank you, Supreme Master Ching Hai, for those 5 priorities: Be Veg, Go Green, Be Frugal, Do Good Deeds, and Pray.

Callie (f): And it's strongly advised to put those 5 priorities into action at once.

Song Dae-Jin President,Jeju Children's Health National Solidarity Beyond my expectations, Supreme Master Ching Hai's words and the audience's feedback were really great. And I felt that a pure heart really works,indeed. I felt the warm interaction of sincere hearts during the conference.

Lee Seok-Moon Co-chairman,People's Coalition for Children's Health Lee Seok Moon(m): The future of Jeju and agriculture is destined to be organic farming, especially when the future of humanity is connected with global warming and climate change. A meat diet has a lot of problems associated with it,such as the destruction of nature to create livestock farms. Furthermore, the amount of grain it takes to raise cows can be fed to thousands of humans. We should make the vegetarian diet the main focus of school meals. Hallo,Supreme Master Television viewers! Together,you and I and everyone on the planet, we can share the information that a plant-based diet is the correct way of life. Let's do it together for the future of humanity.

Im Jae-Teak Chief of Korean Society for Eco Early Childhood Education Chairman of Korean Eco-kid Educational Institute Professor of Department of Early Childhood Education,Pusan University Yim(m): Today's international conference on children's health and saving our planet seems to spread a significant message to the world,especially Supreme Master Ching Hai's concept of respect for Heaven and Earth, and all beings.

I really agree with her. We heard a lot about the benefits of vegetarianism before, but today's conference made it more concrete, that vegetarianism saves the lives of all beings, it saves the planet,and also the whole universe. We are trying to have our children exercise and also have an 『eating movement,』 like giving them brown rice,multi grains, and soy paste soup with kimchi and vegetables. And now,we are thinking of turning it into a plant-based movement. We have our children grow vegetable gardens. We also have meditation programs. Additionally,we have children's programs on communicating with animals and plants.

Lee Byung-Woo Secretary General of Coalition for Children's Health I had a chance to meet Supreme Master Ching Hai two years ago at an international conference. Today,she was the same as before, very pure in her concerns about our children, the future,and our planet. I have always been thankful and have a deep respect for her. With this conference as a starting point, I suppose your organization has a lot of things to do. What directions do you plan to take? Eco-friendly school meals, extending to the vegetarian and the life and peace movement. And also our children's problems, like atopy,ADHD, computer game addiction, and obesity. I will bring this issue to next year's self-governing education election.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/6629

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples