Download

Traditional Folk Music from Northern Âu Lạc (Việt Nam) (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (61MB)    MP4(83MB)  
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, (Slovenian,) Russian, (Slovenian,) Spanish and Thai.

Âu Lạc (Vietnam) is a nation with a long-standing traditional culture. Aulacese musical heritage is bountiful; since ancient times, many soul-stirring musical instruments have been created with diverse sounds like those of the copper drum, gong, lithophone, bamboo xylophone, cymbals, and panpipe.

In 2003, Elegant Music, a style of Huế royal court music, was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as an intangible cultural heritage of the world. Âu Lạc’s music represents the unique features of each region, for example, Quan Họ folksongs in the north, Huế tunes in the central, and modern folk opera in the south.

In addition, there are many other forms of music, including hò, lý, ceremonial songs, Aulacese classical theatre, chèo traditional opera, hồ quảng opera, and so on. Indeed, the essence of music is imbued in the hearts of people in this beautiful country, and has been cultivated until this day.

Xẩm singing is an Aulacese genre used by the troubadours in the olden time. According to the Đại Nam National Language Dictionary compiled by scholar Paulus Huỳnh Tịnh Của, the word “xẩm” means “dark” or “blind.” Legend has it that xẩm singing was founded by Prince Trần Quốc Đĩnh, a son of King Trần Thánh Tông in the 13th century. The prince himself became sightless after a calamity which forced him to live among the commoners. He kindheartedly taught xẩm singing to the blind to give them a means to earn a living by performing on the streets.

Therefore, xẩm singing is often associated with blind minstrels. Nowadays, wandering xẩm singing no longer exists, but has become an on-stage performance as a unique traditional art. Besides the main styles such as market, love or ten favors of gratitude, xẩm singers also perform other folk tunes beautifully. Musical instruments which accompany xẩm singing include the two-string lute, two-string vertical fiddle, a thin drum, a set of wooden bells, and sometimes the flute.

In a gathering with a small group of our Association members some years past, Supreme Master Ching Hai was inspired to spontaneously compose and sing in the xẩm style a poem she had written in her late 20s in Germany. The poem was originally written in English which the poet herself translated into Aulacese (Vietnamese). We now invite you to enjoy an excerpt of the xẩm singing “We Don't Live More Than One Hundred Years!” composed and sung by Supreme Master Ching Hai.

SORRY darling if I could wait no more, I am not a nun, and never want to be so. You don’t wish to share your life, So let me go on my way! I know you think I am crazy, But what difference will that be? I live my life as I please No matter what others think. Everyone has

different things! Quan Họ is an Aulacese ancient folk song genre which is very popular in the delta region of northern Âu Lạc. This singing style expresses sweet sentiments; it is rich in tunes and closely associated with activities taking place at the courtyard in the temple or communal house, by the banyan tree or river pier. Quan Họ’s content often portrays the importance of kindness and loyalty in all relations in the family and community.

The lovely smile and charming greeting of the shop owner causes a traveler’s footsteps to linger.

“Opening a shop   to sell goods  Let me be your customer  who is on my way,  stopping by   and coming in.  How curious is the way   romance is kindled   and blossomed, O friends?”  We now invite you to enjoy the Quan Họ folk song “Opening a Shop to Sell Goods,” performed by singers Thúy Hường and Quang Vinh.

Opening a shop to sell goods O Second Brother! I’m coming here opening the shop to sell goods.

Let me be your customer who is on my way, stopping by and coming in. How curious is the way romance is kindled and blossomed, O friends? There is a betel box held and cherished by two persons.

We’re from two different places. O Third Sister! Each of us comes from a different place.

We meet and bond. We stay together for a lifetime How curious is the way romance is kindled and blossomed, O friends? There is a betel box held and cherished by two persons.

Her affection she’s expressed in the singing. O Fourth Brother! Her affection she’s expressed in the singing. You point to Heaven.

We draw on earth. We vow to stay together. How curious is the way romance is kindled and blossomed, O friends? There is a betel box held and cherished by two persons.

If married, let’s stay married till old age. O Fifth Sister!

If married, let’s stay married till old age.

A marriage lasting just a few months would make a laughing stock for everyone. How curious is the way romance is kindled and blossomed, O friends? There is a betel box held and cherished by two persons.

Like drifting water ferns and clouds, will the bird in flight ever return to his old nest? The one who departed is never heard from again, while the one who stays behind is waiting in sorrow.

“Water ferns and clouds   drift to a far place  O beloved,   I am still waiting for you  A tumbling bird,   a diving fish  Silently I’m waiting for news  in all longing and anxiety.  Why haven’t I   heard from you?”  Following, please enjoy a northern Aulacese folk song titled “Drifting Water Ferns and Clouds,” with vocals by Quỳnh Hương.

Water ferns and clouds drift to a far place O beloved, I am still waiting for you A tumbling bird, a diving fish Silently I’m waiting for news in all longing and anxiety. Why haven’t I heard from you? The moon suspends all night long O beloved, the moon has risen overhead Pining for someone, dew falls... Night is closing, the moon is waning Bamboo branches sway in the gentle wind I’m still waiting for you Why haven’t I heard from you?

Gazing at the bird in flight O beloved, I languish from longing for someone O bird, send my words asking: Does the one from afar remember her who sits gazing at the bird, wondering why she hears not from him? Does the one from afar remember her who sits gazing at the bird. wondering why she hears not from him?

In longing, a young woman weaves brocade and embroiders dragon and phoenix images to send to her kindred friend.

“I embroider the bridal   blanket and pillow,  together with   bedding and cushion  I send them   to my kindred friend”  Singer Mai Phương will present the song “Weaving Brocade,” a Quan Họ folk song.

This brocade, my hands weave and embroider This pair of brocades, I weave, O friends! I sit and embroider flowers O love lulling Holding the shuttle I weave then embroider My brocade is beautiful, O friends! It’s all the more charming when you look again. O love lulling I embroider the bridal blanket and pillow, together with bedding and cushion I send them to my kindred friend O love lulling

I embroider the bridal blanket and pillow, together with bedding and cushion I send them to my kindred friend O love lulling Missing my beloved, I go searching for him Yet I couldn’t find him, O friends! On the way, I’m sad and bewildered O love lulling I wait for him today and long for him tomorrow I go searching and calling out for him From the mountain echoes a gibbon’s crooning her child to sleep O love lulling

Singers Thúy Hường and Quang Vinh who performed the song “Opening a Shop to Sell Goods,” and singer Mai Phương who performed the song “Weaving Brocade,” participated previously on Supreme Master Television’s Aulacese traditional folk music programs. They were presented with gifts and well-wishes from Supreme Master Ching Hai.

Thank you for watching our program today. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television for more Aulacese traditional folk music programs in future broadcasts. Coming up next is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. So long for now.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/7735

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples