Download

Peace One Day: How a Global Day of Ceasefire and Nonviolence was Created - P1/2    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (36MB)    MP4(49MB)  
In July 1998, I decided to make a film about peace. Then I realized there was no day of peace. That was it. I was going to try and establish the first ever annual peace day, a day of global ceasefire and non-violence, a day for everyone to become involved in the peace process. If I failed, the film could make a profound statement about a world unwilling to change. If I succeeded, well, that was almost inconceivable.

When will they ever learn?

September 21 is the annual United Nations International Day of Peace, also known as the World Peace Day. On this day, a global ceasefire and non-violence is observed by all 192 member states of the United Nations. Imagine, all weapons are laid down for 24 hours, in honor of peace.

Even more remarkable, however, is the story of how World Peace Day really came to life. It was approved by the leaders of the United Nations and supported by many more, but it all began with one determined individual. Mr. Jeremy Gilley, award-winning British filmmaker, is the founder and chair of the non-profit organization, Peace One Day.

Mr. Gilley’s mission has been to document on film his amazing 10-year journey to establish the World Peace Day and the remarkable achievements made thereafter.

I came up with the idea for Peace One Day because I am a filmmaker. And I wanted to see if I could use the form of film in a constructive way. Can I use it to make a difference? Could I use it to answer fundamental questions for myself, like is humankind fundamentally evil? Is the destruction of the world inevitable? Should I have children? Is that a responsible thing to do?

I’m deeply concerned about what’s going on in the world and I thought, well, through my work, through the making of a documentary, maybe I can answer questions for myself and therefore for the viewers as well.

As I was thinking about peace, I was realizing where is the starting point for peace? And then of course I thought, there isn’t a starting point for peace. There isn’t a starting point for global unity. There isn’t a starting point for a sort of moment of intercultural cooperation, on a scale that humanity has never known before.

In fact, there was no Peace Day. And that was it. Could I make a film about trying to establish the first-ever Day of Peace on the planet? The first day of a ceasefire, non-violence day with a fixed calendar date?

With this specific goal in mind, Mr. Gilley set out around the world and especially into areas of conflict such as Burundi, Somalia, Gaza in Palestine, and Sri Lanka. He also met with government leaders, United Nations officials, and humanitarian workers to discuss with them the idea of having a global peace day. At the time, the United Nations already had a 1982 resolution for an International Day of Peace but it had never been observed.

We need something to grab, we need to grab hold of a concept. It’s still too up in the air, it’s still too lovey-dovey. The cynics will say, “Jeremy Gilley, the tree-hugger. Crazy man, has crazy ideas. World peace, give me a break.” But you know that the same people who are calling me the tree-hugger are saying the same thing about the building that we are in, right? And that is the whole point.

We need to stop people from believing that these things aren’t possible. This is the United Nations International Day of Peace, which has not been observed, and the resolution has never been supported. I’m not being rude, I am just saying, there’s a lot of people out there that I come across that are like, you know, “UN, okay, yeah right. We’re still at war.”

Good luck!

Through time, I think it will be more and more effective. What do you think?

To come to 100 %, you need a lot of time. (Yes.) But I think the great thing is, at least, we have done something for the next generation. (Yes.)

If there is a cessation for a day, then it gives us an opportunity to move supplies safely through places that are otherwise difficult.

This is my suggestion: When you go around the world and find a group of people who do what you do, but in their country, then go to another country and do the same thing. So that would make everything more powerful. (Yeah.)

How old are you? (Sixteen.) So you are about to leave school soon? (Yeah.) Will you do it for me?

I was traveling around, speaking to people, saying, “Is this a good idea?” Going into areas of conflict, talking to humanitarians, and saying, “Look, could this day have any real practical benefit to individuals?” And the answer was yes.

If you have a day of peace, you can immunize children, you can move aid. People won’t be killed because they won’t be fighting. Children in schools can be inspired and empowered because they’ve got a starting point for their actions for a more peaceful world. So there were lots of benefits to a peace day, a day that unites the world.

When return, we will learn how Mr. Gilley’s efforts bore fruit and the International Day of Peace was finally established. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television.

Welcome back to Enlightening Entertainment and our program on Peace One Day and how one concerned citizen and dedicated filmmaker worked to establish the first-ever day of ceasefire and non-violence in the history of humankind.

I visited Gaza, I visited the West Bank. I saw Shimon Peres, because I asked all Nobel Laureates for a statement about peace. Peace One Day is not saying who is right and who is wrong. In our hearts, we know if someone dies, it is wrong. The Arab League has an incredible opportunity to demonstrate to the world its commitment to peace by calling for ceasefire and nonviolence on the first ever United Nations ceasefire day.

I honestly come here for you to make history. I ask you to lead the world and I will document that journey. I thank you so much for this opportunity.

Eventually, Mr. Gilley received support from Nobel Peace Prize Laureates such as His Holiness The Dalai Lama, former Costa Rican President Óscar Arias Sánchez, and Israeli President Shimon Peres, as well as from officials of the United Nations and the League of Arab States. Many of them saw the practical benefits of having a globally agreed day of no violence.

The day could be the beginning of a deeper process. It has the practical impact of allowing access of humanitarian aid, access of information, freedom of movement, relief from the pressure and tension of not knowing where the next bomb or bullet may come from. That, to me, is an idea whose time has come.

Although we may not live, we may not enjoy that brighter future, but doesn’t matter. This is the matter for humanity, matter for world. So, no matter how limited the effect, we must make every effort for the promotion of peace and inner values. So, I fully support.

I also wish to state, categorically, that we do support the Peace One Day program. This is a step forward in international relations.

The final step forward to establishing the Peace Day came when the filmmaker and self-made peace ambassador received an invitation to meet with United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Very nice to meet you. Mr. Secretary General. Do you support the creation of the first global ceasefire day in the history of humankind?

Oh absolutely, I think it’s a great idea. Any moment, whether it’s a day or a week, that we can give the combatants to pause to think and reflect on what they are doing to their own people and to the environment will be a great achievement. And I will support it 100 %.

Secretary General Kofi Annan, he helped because he believed in it. And he gave permission for me to be able to tell the story and visit areas of conflict to be able to understand the benefits that the day could have. He was inspirational to the success of the campaign.

And he was inspirational to me, that I had the opportunity to sit with him and hear his words and be encouraged by him. That sense of the importance of the individual is very important to him. That each and every person has a role to play. I’m grateful to him.

To see Ban Ki Moon, the new Secretary General, now, is obviously as well a great honor. He too knows the importance of individuals’ place within the peace process.

At long last, in September 2001, the United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution establishing an annual day of global ceasefire and nonviolence. It would be observed every year on September 21, the United Nations International Day of Peace.

So the world now has a Peace Day. It’s September 21. It’s a day of ceasefire and non-violence. It’s an opportunity for you as an individual to make a commitment to a more peaceful and sustainable world.

And over the last few years we’ve been traveling the world, orchestrating practical activity in areas of conflict such as Afghanistan, where my ambassador Jude Law has been traveling with me going into Afghanistan, which has led to millions of children now over the last few years being vaccinated on that day because the humanitarians can get to them because they are guaranteed not be killed.

But also in the schools it’s been working. So the day works. It saves lives, it empowers people, it inspires people. And it’s a wonderful opportunity for our world to come together on the most fundamental issues we face, which of course, is the protection of each other and the protection of our environment.

No wars will stop us singing Our voices will stay strong Even through the darkest nights We will sing a song No fear will stop us dreaming Our dreams will light the sky Even when all hope is gone Our dreams will not die

Thank you for having joined us today for part 1 of our two-part program on the occasion of the United Nations International Day of Peace. Be sure to join us again tomorrow, September 21, as we find out about the tremendous response of World Peace Day and the special films created by Mr. Jeremy Gilley as a testament to humankind’s yearning for peace. Now, please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television for Words of Wisdom, after Noteworthy News. May your heart be filled with loving kindness.

On Peace Day, September 21, there will be activities all over the world: Immunization campaigns, football matches, children singing, families making up. You can find out all this information on You can also use this site to make your own commitment which we really hope you do. Many thanks.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/8361

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples