Download

God, the Animals, and Us: Dr. Rainer Hagencord and the Institute of Theological Zoology - P1/2 (In German)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (40MB)    MP4(53MB)  
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in German, with subtitles in Arabic, Aulacese (Vietnamese), Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

Greetings, benevolent viewers. Today we would like to introduce Reverend Dr. Rainer Hagencord, a theologian, natural scientist, and co-founder of the Institute of Theological Zoology in Muenster, Germany. The Institute of Theological Zoology is a one-of-a-kind organization that scientifically approaches the appreciation of animals within the field of theology.

Dr. Hagencord, you are a theologian and biologist. What led to this combination?

Initially, I studied theology and then have been working in the community as a priest. And after this time I looked for a new orientation for me and came back to my old interest, the field of biology. And I really noticed, what relevance behavioral biology has, the findings of behavioral biology have, for a theological consideration of human, of the role of human in the creation.

The big questions: What does man have, what do animals not have? Because of this, I revisited anew theological literature to ascertain: Are the animals mentioned at all? Or does theology still argue like humans have been fallen from the skies… in spite of the clarification of behavioral biology that thinking, feeling, self-awareness, ability to build a culture, all that, is well present in the animal kingdom.

Charles Darwin said: The differences between human and animal are quantitative, but not qualitative. And for me, this is basically one of the greatest insights that is relevant for anthropology, but of course also for ethics. For me, as a theologian, as a man of the church, these are two important fields in which I see enormous need for action, also within the church.

In the year 2004, Rev. Dr. Hagencord’s thesis, “The Animal: A Challenge for Christian Anthropology – Arguments for a Change of Perspective from a Theological and Behavioral Biologist’s View,” was accepted by the faculty of Roman Catholic Theology at the Westphalian Wilhelm's University of Muenster. This thesis has been published in the fourth edition as a book with the title, “On This Side of Eden: Arguments for a New Perspective on Animals from a Theological and Behavioral Biologist’s View.”

This shows the popularity and up-to-dateness of Dr. Hagencord’s thoughts. Dr. Hagencord bridges the gap between newest insights from behavioral biology in respect to the thinking, feelings, and actions of animals in biblical scriptures. At the same time, for him it is about the true nature of animals and the role of humans in the natural world. What does the term “theological zoology” mean?

In terms of meaning, it may become clear that it is about a theological appreciation of the animal. That is the goal. What can we, as theologians, say about the dignity of the animal, about the animal kingdom, zoology? With this term I also had an allusion in mind, because most people for sure are familiar with the term “theological anthropology.”

So humans are the crown of creation, or humans are an image of God or have an immortal soul – whatever. Because I think theology has a lot to say in respect to the biblical appreciation of the animal, also in respect to acknow- ledgement of the animal. My interest is, also to take seriously the findings of zoology and to get into trans- disciplinary dialogue with theology, ethics, anthropology, to lay a good scientific foundation for this project of appreciation of the animal.

The Bible says, God is blessing us through creation, also through the animals. And therefore if we bless animals, it has to be an expression of the fact that we humans want to be a blessing for the animals. And then, it is not possible to bless the ones and to throw the others onto the barbecue… So, this cannot be. Here it is important to me to say, if blessing means I take my responsibility as a human earnestly – I want to be a blessing for the animals – then I can agree with that, and can support it.

When Dr. Rainer Hagencord, together with colleague Dr. Anton Rotzetter, founded the Institute of Theological Zoology in Germany, the opening ceremony took place in December 2009. Among the guests was Dr. Dame Jane Goodall, eminent primatologist and United Nations Peace Ambassador. Dr. Hagencord is very inspired by this extraordinary personality and feels very connected to her work, especially in respect to raising the awareness for our co-inhabitants on this planet.

There are species on this planet, that are still existing only because of Jane Goodall. Jane Goodall is one of the great women of the present day. She has founded the Jane Goodall Institute 30 years ago. She has brought to live the project Roots and Shoots. It functions in 90 countries around the world. Roots and Shoots, in this project, children, young people, students can engage in a certain project, and for that they are supported by the Jane Goodall Institute.

And there Jane Goodall realizes, first: It is about education, it is about a change of consciousness on the planet, to save the habitats for the animals, to protect them. And secondly: Jane Goodall has a great hope that the spiritual forces and that spiritual-minded people of whatever confession still are able to make a difference on this planet. That unifies us very much.

And oftentimes Jane Goodall says to me during discourses, some of the things I say she did not hear yet in that way, and she says it is good that my way has an impact on the church, to work it out there, to try to start pilot projects, the same way she does within her context. And that is why we are very much connected.

Dr. Hagencord wants to show the relationship of human and animal and doing so he wants to overcome anthropocentrism, which he found to be untenable biblically. Humans, like the animals, are part of creation and have their place allocated by the Creator. This imposes responsibility on them for their fellow creatures.

To the biblical authors, the division of human as animate and animal as soulless is absolutely unfamiliar. That is a strong message that also has been overheard in the last centuries, because it is always said animals would not have a soul, only man has a soul and that is why animals are machines without soul. The Bible says very clearly human and animal are lively souls. That means the animal is like every living thing and, like man, a creature from the hand of God, and the soul is what unites us all.

The language still makes it clear, at least the old Latin, because “animal” – the animal, and “anima” – the soul, are related, meaning the animal reminds me, human, of my soul, of my inner self, of my being created. Sometimes that which we say about the animals in the industrialized nations is even being secured by philosophy, theology. “Animals would not have a soul” – it is an affront to the biblical, to the Jewish-Christian statement about human and animals.

Modern behavioral biology amazes people with evermore astonishing insights about our animal friends. To say the least, they have an idea about their habitat, use tools, and are aware of themselves. But apart from that, we also find in them behavioral patterns like, for instance, altruism and affection.

In your book, “On This Side of Eden,” an example is mentioned among many for altruism among animals. You talk about Arabian Babblers. Could you tell us something about these incredible birds?

Yes, the pheno-menon of altruism is one of the most exciting in biology, in behavioral biology. Those Arabian Babblers, so to speak, invented being a guard. One knows of that also from other animals that live socially, for instance, geese. If you happen to see a flock of greylags on a meadow, you will notice that one or two look around, so being a sentinel is not our invention, but it also exists in the animal kingdom, Arabian Babblers also have it. But one should keep in mind that those animals of course expose themselves to danger, because the sentinels will be caught most often. Altruism.

So this Arabian Babbler does this con-sciously, has the inner attitude, “Now I am standing here as guard and for my fellow species, I am on guard.” And we will never know what is going on in such an Arabian Babbler. But what becomes clear is that in animals who live in social communities, there is such a task sharing and that there is also an individuality. Every animal has a unique role, has a role in a social system, and it learns this role.

May I add a quote from your book, it is the following: “Indeed, where children and animals meet those meetings have another character, which is beyond any intellectual categorization and sheds an illuminating light on the function as role models that children have in Jesus’ preachings; and in that they become a prototype of those who return.“ What can we learn from the children?

Children and animals have something what we as grown-ups have lost. I will refer again to the picture of “On This Side of Eden,” this life in the garden of Eden. And I will quote someone – one will not have in mind here – Friedrich Nietzsche. Friedrich Nietzsche says in a text, looking to a herd of cows, that “the animal lives without history.

Look at this flock, grazing and resting, not asking for tomorrow, not asking for yesterday, this cow is tied to the post of the present,” says Nietzsche. If I ask myself, “How is my spirituality? How do I want to live?” Then I realize I want to live as a grown-up man, I want take on responsibility, I want to plan ahead what will be tomorrow, etc.

But still I always want places, moments, in which I do not have to do this, but instead have trust. And with that, children and animals do help me. Every morning I go for a stroll through this countryside and I am happy, if a cow shows up, or a horse like over there, or if I discover only one blackbird. I still remember hearing the first chaffinches this year and robins, how my soul rejoiced, the animals are back. And they have that which I have to struggle for again and again, this trust, this being present at the moment, this simple being here.

I want to learn that more and more and that is why children and animals are role models for me. And I understand more and more what Jesus wants to say in the sermons, putting the child in the center saying: “If you cannot become so small like this child, you are not ready for the Kingdom of Heaven.” And at the same time

pointing to the birds of the skies and to the lilies of the fields saying: “Learn from the birds of the sky!” It’s about that actually.

Rev. Dr. Rainer Hagencord’s book On This Side of Eden is available at For more information about the Institute of Theological Zoology, please go to Gentle viewers, thank you for your presence today on our program.

We will find out more interesting things about our animal co-inhabitants and their life near God, when our 2-part interview with Dr. Rainer Hagencord continues next Sunday, November 28, on A Journey through Aesthetic Realms. Now, please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television for Our Noble Lineage, next after Noteworthy News. Wishing you a happy life blessed by God.

Gentle viewers, thank you for your presence today on our program. We will find out more interesting things about our animal co-inhabitants and their life near God, when our 2-part interview with Dr. Rainer Hagencord continues next Sunday, November 28, on A Journey through Aesthetic Realms

. Now, please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television for Our Noble Lineage, next after Noteworthy News. Wishing you a happy life blessed by God.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/8701

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples