Download

Specialty Food & Traditional Cuisine from Âu Lạc (Vietnam) – The Making of Rice Noodle & Vegan Royal Noodle Soup (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (68MB)    MP4(93MB)  
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

SONG Longing for Perfume River and Ngự Mountain (Hương Bình Lưu Luyến) Music & lyrics: Dương Thiệu Tước Vocals: Thanh Thúy Dance: Our Association members from Central Âu Lạc (Vietnam) Here is Huế’s Perfume River flowing leisurely Nam Bình melody evokes a love tale of old High walls, moss-covered, weather-worn I listen to the singing as my boat sails To the endearing ancient capital city One morning, beautiful sunlight wove a sweet dream A thousand flowers are inferior to a purple dress Gliding on the bridge, adorning the land

O tender tresses that embrace delicate shoulders Nestling in coconut-tree’s shade, I gaze at a boat’s reflection on the Perfume River How I adore the singing from the ferry! Dreamy souls coyly hide under poetic hats Away from Huế, I feel a deep longing for Ngự Mountain and Perfume River Central Âu Lạc holds dearly forever Vestiges of Huế, a weathered capital city.

HOST: You’ve just enjoyed the song “Longing for Perfume River and Ngự Mountain” by composer Dương Thiệu Tước, with vocals by Thanh Thúy and dance accompaniment by our Association members from Central Âu Lạc.

“Longing for Perfume River and Ngự Mountain” are heartfelt words by someone away from Huế, pining for the poetic beauty of the ancient capital city where there are long dresses with conical hats on the Tràng Tiền Bridge and hò singing echo from the leisurely flowing Perfume River.

Âu Lạc, a beautiful country situated in Southeast Asia, with sub-tropical climate, is graced by Mother Nature with green plants and sweet fruits, all redolent and delectable throughout the four seasons. Depending on the weather conditions and culinary preferences of each region, the local people have skillfully created many savory dishes. In our program about Aulacese traditional cuisine, we are pleased to introduce the specialty foods of a land known for its freshness and abundance. Indeed, at a public lecture in the United States in March 1991, Supreme Master Ching Hai especially praised the rich natural resources of Âu Lạc.

Excerpt from lecture by Supreme Master Ching Hai The Six Buddhist Perfections Houston, Texas, USA March 1, 1991 (In Aulacese/Vietnamese) Video 156 B “Âu Lạc is among the most enriched nations in this world: there are mines of gold, silver, uranium, lead, zinc, and tin. Âu Lạc has everything. There are morals, piety, harmony, and four thousands years of civilization. It is one of the most ancient countries in the world. Our land has always had abundant foods and fruits.

I remember when I was a student there, there was a great variety of fruits when I went to Bình Dương and Long Thành. And rice! Aulacese indigenous rice, called Tám Thơm, is the most famous in Southeast Asia and in the world. There are also other products, dried or fresh, that are most popular in the world.”

HOST: We are deeply grateful to Supreme Master Ching Hai for her treasured words and boundless grace for the nation and people of peace-loving Âu Lạc.

HOST: In Aulacese cuisine, rice noodle is a round, stringy food, white and soft, made from rice flour. As a raw material and a main ingredient in many dishes which begin with the word “noodle,” this is one of the most popular foods in Âu Lạc, just after dishes served with steamed rice.

In today’s program, we’ll find out how to make the rice noodle and vegan royal noodle soup, a food specialty from the nation’s ancient capital. [A rich man slept on the backyard’s hammock; he dreamt of a girl bringing him a cup of tea] Young woman – our Association member (f): Please have some tea,

Father!

Rich man – our Association member (m): May I ask...

who are you?

[Young woman disappeared, a piece of paper flew down at his feet, on it written the words] My name is Hiền.

I dwell in Thủy Phương Village.

[In the countryside, the rich man walked by Hiền’s eatery, he tripped; Hiền came to help him up] Hiền’s brother – our Association member (m): Are you all right, Elder?

Hiền – our Association member (f): Respected Elder, where are you going all by yourself?

[Seeing Hiền’s face, the rich man remembered the girl in his dream] Please have some tea, Father!

Rich man: I’m looking for a relative and lost my way, please help.

Hiền: It’s getting late already. How about you rest here in our house tonight?

Rich man: Oh, that’s very kind! I thank you very much.

[At night, Hiền prepared a bowl of noodle soup for the rich man] Rich man: What is your name? And whom do you live with here?

Hiền: My name is Hiền.

[The rich man remembered his dream when he held a paper that read] My name is Hiền. Rich man: (thinking) The person I’m looking for, indeed!

Hiền: And over there is my younger brother.

Rich man: Thank you, dear!

This noodle soup you made is delicious!

Hiền: That’s the vegan royal noodle soup, Elder!

Rich man: The soup has a very unique flavor.

Hiền: It’s a blend of lemongrass, vegan fish sauce and green onion. The lemongrass is especially very aromatic. This lemongrass, I don’t just put in the soup stock but also mince and stir-fry it with tofu and fresh mushrooms.

Rich man: Even the rice noodle itself is very tasty!

Hiền: My father taught me how to make it while he was still alive.

[Scene of Hiền’s father taught her to make rice noodle] Hiền’s father – our Association member (m): Grind the rice finely, then sift it to obtain smooth flour. (Yes.)

When the water boils, squeeze the flour into the pot, wait for the noodle to be cooked, then remove it from the pot.

Hiền: Yes.

The hot noodle looks so appetizing, Dad!

[At night, the rich man was sleepless] Rich man: Heaven gave me a filial and kind-hearted son.

I regret that I haven’t found for him a virtuous wife.

[The rich man went to the backyard; he saw Hiền playing the lute, wearing a necklace] Rich man: (thinking) Very strange!

It so resembles my son’s necklace!

(to Hiền) May I ask... where did you buy that necklace?

Hiền: Respected Elder, this necklace belongs to a regular customer of ours.

[Student & his attendant came to eat at Hiền’s eatery; they couldn’t find their money; the student removed his necklace] Student – our Association member (m): O Miss!

May I give you this?

I’ll bring money to pay in a few days and take it back.

Hiền: Oh, no need to do that.

Rich man: (thinking) My son went this far to eat!?

Hiền: But it’s been a month he hasn’t come so that I could return the necklace.

Rich man: (thinking) He has been studying day and night for the exam this whole month!

[In the garden] Daughter – our Association member: So, did Grandma return the necklace to Grandpa, Mom?

Mother – our Association member: He gave it to your Grandma for good!

Daughter: You learnt the vegan royal noodle soup from Grandma, didn’t you?

Mother: Yes. Grandma cooked very well.

But nowadays, many vegan proteins are available, so we can make even more delicious vegan royal noodle soup, dear.

Daughter: How about you show me, Mom?

Mother: Sure!

I’ll show you tomorrow!

Mother: To make vegan royal noodle soup we need fresh rice noodles, carrots, white radish, and chayotes.

Soak vegan beef slices, shiitake mushrooms, and fried soybean sheets until soft.

We need vegan ham, sliced pineapple, thinly sliced onions, chopped lemongrass, and finely minced lemongrass.

Cut the roots [NFT: carrots, white radish, chayotes] into small pieces and boil them in water.

When the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer until the broth is naturally sweetened from the roots.

Help me squeeze dry the vegan beef slices. I’ll marinate them.

Daughter: How do you marinate it, Mom?

Mother: Put in crushed garlic, onion, cooking oil, vegan seasoning, 1 tablespoon fermented soybean, and sugar. Remember to add minced lemongrass. (Yes.)

Mix vegan beef slices and fried soybean sheets thoroughly. Wait 15 minutes for the mixture to absorb the spices, then stir-fry in low heat. Now, we’ll make the seasoning sauce. Stir-fry crushed garlic and onion until they turn golden, then add lemongrass and 2 tablespoons chili powder. A little spicy taste will make the vegan royal noodle soup delicious.

Daughter: Yes.

Mother: Add a few tablespoons annatto seed oil, stir evenly, and turn off the stove. Now, we’ll cook the soup stock. Help me fry the shiitake mushrooms.

Daughter: Let me, Mom.

Mother: After frying the shiitake mushrooms, put them in the soup stock. Add sliced pineapple and crushed lemongrass. Cook 10 minutes for the lemongrass to give off aroma. Add seasoning, salt, sugar, some vegan fish sauce, a tablespoon annatto seed oil, and seasoning sauce. It’s done now.

Daughter: It smells so good! I’ll go prepare vegetables and invite Dad to enjoy your cooking.

HOST: The main spices in vegan royal noodle soup are lemongrass and vegan fish sauce. It’s better to select the middle part of a fresh lemongrass plant because it’s both aromatic and rich in essential oil. The root part is often strong and acrid while the top part is less aromatic and can easily turn the soup green in color due to the lemongrass leaves. The lemongrass essential oil gives the soup stock a mild aroma and pervasive scent.

[Next morning, Hiền was preparing noodle soups for her customers – the rich man was watching from afar] Rich man: (thinking) Graceful, kind-hearted and hard-working... (to Hiền) My dear, do you want to meet the owner of the necklace?

Hiền: You know him, Elder?

Rich man: Don’t worry. I have a way to help you. Just come to my house first so that I may requite your kindness. We’ll set out tomorrow, all right? (Yes.)

[The whole family enjoyed the noodle soup; the daughter brought a plate of noodle to the dining table] Daughter: O Mom, Grandma made her own rice noodles before?

Mother: Yes. But now we can buy the fresh or dry noodles in the supermarkets.

Father: I heard that Vân Cù Village makes excellent rice noodles, doesn’t it?

Mother: That’s right.

HOST: The making of rice noodle at Vân Cù and Bao Vinh is a long-standing tradition. In these two villages, every house has a noodle-making facility. The rice noodles at Vân Cù and Bao Vinh Villages reach the high standards of fresh and ivory-white noodles which are soft, sweet, chewy, and moderately sized. We’ll now visit a village to observe an expert making rice noodles.

for video reference only – do not put his name - Nguyễn Văn Trai (m): To make beautiful, white rice noodles, we mainly need 10 kilograms glutinous white rice and 5 kilograms finest white flour. First, soak the rice in water for 24 hours, take the rice out, pour in clear water, and continue to soak for about 24 hours. Take the rice out to grind together with 300 grams of salt, then pour it into a cloth bag and set aside for 3 hours.

It will become a mass of flour. Put this mass of flour into a pot of boiling water, cook for about 15 minutes. Then put in a pounder and pound for about 30 minutes. Pour boiling water in until the mixture thickens, then filter it through a cheesecloth. After that, place filtered flour in a cloth mold. The flour will run into the pot of boiling water and become rice noodles which will be well-done in about 3 minutes. Rinse rice noodles once or twice, then drain them.

[The rich man took Hiền to his living room] Rich man (to Hiền): Wait here a moment!

[The rich man called the attendant] Attendant – our Association member (m): Yes, yes...

Rich man: (to his wife) You’ll soon enjoy the wonderful vegan royal noodle soup from our future daughter-in-law!

Attendant (to the student) Young master, you have a guest.

Student: I have a guest?

[Student walked into the living room, saw Hiền] Student: Oh, Miss!!

[Hiền turned to student, then turned and saw the rich man and his wife smiling at her] HOST: Rice noodle is used in many unique dishes that are popular in the whole country, such as vegan riêu noodle soup, savory fermented soybean noodle soup, bamboo shoot noodle soup, thang noodle soup, roasted soy meat noodle, spring roll noodle, or the vegan royal noodle soup we were introduced to previously.

Depending on the type of dish or taste, people would select either small or big, round or flat, soft or more chewy type of noodle. Nowadays, fresh noodles are readily available. Dry noodles can be saved for a long time, are very convenient and sold in almost all supermarkets in Âu Lạc and in many countries in the world. Rice noodles help make vegan dishes more diverse and creative. OUTRO (IN AULACESE):

Thank you for watching our program featuring the making of Vegan Royal Noodle Soup. Please tune in to Supreme Master Television for more on Aulacese specialty food and traditional cuisine in future broadcasts.

Coming up is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, after Noteworthy News. So long for now.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/8837

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples