Download

Aulacese (Vietnamese) Film: A Tiger that Leaves the Mountain Faces Challenge - P2/4 (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (130MB)    MP4(176MB)  
Today’s Enlightening Entertainment will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai.

Filmmaking was introduced to Âu Lạc (Vietnam) at the end of 1890s. It began to thrive in 1923 with the first movie co-produced by the French and the Aulacese based on the masterpiece “The Tale of Kiều” by literary great Nguyễn Du.

Embracing the modern technology of our world's civilization and combining it with a diverse artistic foundation inherent in the country's traditions, Aulacese filmmaking nowadays continues to develop to enhance the nation's cultural landscape.

On Enlightening Entertainment, Supreme Master Television is pleased to introduce different forms of arts from Âu Lạc (Vietnam), as well as from other countries in the world, in order to share the beauty and cultures of the peoples on our planet.

The film “A Tiger That Leaves the Mountain Faces Challenges” chronicles a young man’s experience on the path of spiritual practice for eternal liberation. The story also offers counsel for renunciates to build strength on the protective power of the spiritual community and the guidance of the respected master while on the noble journey of the soul.

We now invite you to enjoy part 2 of the film “A Tiger that Leaves the Mountain Faces Challenge,” written by the Venerable Thích Chân Tính and produced by Hoằng Pháp Temple, with performances by Bhiksu Tâm Khải as Head Monk, Bhiksu Tâm Hải as Discipline Monk, Thiên Bảo as Hùng, Thanh Điền as Hùng’s Uncle, Kinh Quốc as Brother Hai, Công Ninh as Foreman, Dương Cẩm Lynh as Hà, Hoàng Mập as Plump Novice, Hoài An as Thủy’s mother, Lý Nuôi as Skinny Novice, Bích Vân as Thủy, Châu Kha as Thúy, with the participation of respected monks in Hoằng Pháp Temple and other artists.

While Hùng was in the midst of wealth and success, his mother suddenly passed away. This made him realize that the world is ephemeral and full of suffering due to the cycle of life and death. After the funeral service, Hùng gave the tenant farmers all of his lands and fields. He also sold his family’s home, determined to become a monk to study Buddha’s teaching.

Thank you for watching today’s Enlightening Entertainment. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television. Up next is Words of Wisdom. So long for now.

Let bygones be bygones, son. Don’t let your mind wander anymore, or you might end up getting sick.

I don’t think aimlessly. I’ve considered it thoroughly. I plan to take all my possessions with me when I die.

Can one take along his possessions after death? Are you okay, Hùng? How do you take them with you?

I have a way. Simply by giving away all my properties.

Are you out of your mind?

No, I’m of sound mind. Yesterday, I invited the farmers who worked on our land all this time, and I’ve transferred to them all the rights to use our land.

Are you insane, Hùng? Your parents spent all their lives working hard to build up an estate for you. Why did you give it all away as soon as your mother passed away? Are you crazy?

Respected Uncle, please calm down. By giving it away, I think I’ll still have it. That’s how I can take it with me. That’s the best way to keep my possessions.

You’re certainly insane! You drive me crazy too the more you talk. I’m going insane.

Respected Uncle, I wish to ask something of you today.

Speak up!

Will you help me sell this house and all the assets? I want you to use that money for charity.

What? You want to sell this house? You’re going to live on the street?

No. I’ll lead a monk’s life in the temple.

Becoming a monk?

Your Venerable, please allow me to become a monk.

What is your reason?

My mother passed away all of a sudden. Thanks to the Buddha’s teaching, I have realized the ephemeral nature of life and the human body. I wish to follow the Buddha’s path, to find truth about life, death and reincarnation.

Very good! You’ve built good merit for many lives to know about Buddha’s teaching and take the vow of monkhood now. However, being a monk is difficult. You’re going against the world’s current, doing things people deem hard to do, enduring things people deem hard to endure. Do you think you can pursue the Buddhist path to the end?

Yes, Your Venerable. I’ll try.

Buddhist practitioners must go through many hardship and challenges. Only those with high ideals and aspirations could make it. I hope you have enough patience and perseverance to overcome all tests to realize your goal.

Thank you, Your Venerable.

Good man. Good deeds. Perceiving the ephemeral nature of life, Renouncing the mundane life Gaining immeasurable merit. Simple and Pure Earth Maha Bodhisattva be praised! Now, virtuous man! The hair on your head has been formed from time immemorial due to accumulated rebirths and afflictions, which can’t be eradicated by yourself, but can only be erased with the help of the sangha (spiritual community). Now, I’ll shave your head for you.

It’s done. You’re more good-looking and brighter now with your head shaved.

Thank you.

A bhikshu when his hair is shaved,

First, upholding the ten precepts

First, upholding the ten precepts

Then upholding the bhakti’s precepts.

Then upholding the bhikshu’s precepts.

Today we’ll continue from the sentence “First we learn about the precepts.” Get ready to write it down.

O Hùng!

She’s Nhất Tâm’s girlfriend.

Really? So beautiful!

But he still left her to become a monk.

You marry her then!

Fine!

Someone is looking for you over there.

Wait for me in the guest house.

How long does the class last?

It’s almost over.

Okay, I’ll wait for you in the guest house.

Hùng dear!

You shouldn’t address a monk by his worldly name.

What should I call you if not by your name?

To a novice, you call him brother; to a long-time practitioner, you call him master.

So, how are you, brother?

Thank you, Miss. I’m fine.

My God, why did you call me Miss, dear? Oh, I’m sorry. Brother, why did you call me Miss?

It’s being courteous. You shouldn’t call yourself a sweet term when speaking to a monk.

Goodness! What should I call myself then?

I find that lay Buddhists refer to themselves as “children” when speaking to the masters.

What about for a novice like you?

I have no idea. You may call yourself by your name. But I’ve already had a new name.

What’s your new name?

It’s Nhất Tâm.

But why should you change your name when living here?

Anyone who becomes a monk is given a new name.

The atmosphere seems so stuffy here. Can we go outside to talk? It’s more relaxing.

No, I can’t. The rules here are very strict. One may only receive visitors in the guest house, and time is also limited.

What kind of practice that’s so harsh?

Buddha be praised! Master calls you, brother.

Buddha be praised! I’ll be right there.

Hurry up! He’s waiting for you!

Buddha be praised! I’m sorry Thúy. See you at another time.

Wait, dear! I have a gift for you.

Just put it on the table. The rules don’t allow me to take it from your hands.

Why is it so difficult? All the hurdles are against me.

Please understand. See you some other day.

I’m going now. Take care, dear.

Dear, dear, all the time!

Ouch! Ouch!

Ouch!

Good monks, today you all practiced very well. Time is up now. Let’s take a rest. Amitabha Buddha be praised!

How is their progress?

Amitabha Buddha be praised! Your Venerable, the monks’ study here is good.

Take good care of them. They are the future of Buddhism.

Yes, I know.

How is Nhất Tâm’s study?

Amitabha Buddha be praised! Your Venerable, his practice is very good, but he is quite inattentive to his study.

Can you find out exactly why is it so?

Amitabha Buddha be praised! I think he seems to be more interested in meditation. Every time in the classroom, he always closes his eyes to meditate. After class, he’d be in his room to recite Buddha’s name and doesn’t contact anyone at all.

That’s a good case. But… not good enough.

Amitabha Buddha be praised! Your Venerable, I think he’s still very young. When one enters monkhood, he must first learn the precepts well before focusing on the practice.

You’re right. He was shocked upon his mother’s sudden death. Finding that human life is impermanent, he’s determined to devote to spiritual practice. You should find out more, and tell him the duties of a renunciate.

Yes, Your Venerable.

Tomorrow morning, tell him to come see me.

Buddha be praised! Yes, Master!

Hi, brother.

Buddha be praised!

Do you know where Nhất Tâm is?

No, I don’t. Please come to the guest room. It’s over there. Buddha be praised!

Wait! Miss, Miss… Amitabha Buddha be praised!

Buddha be praised!

Amitabha Buddha be praised! You come here to look for Nhất Tâm, right?

Yes.

Kindly go to the guest room. This is the monks’ area. Lay people are not allowed to enter. Don’t you see the sign over there? Here is the forbidden sign, Miss.

I’m sorry. I didn’t see it. But if I’m not mistaken, I met you once in the guest room the other day, right?

That’s right. I’m the only special one in this temple. Anyone who sees me once will never forget me.

O brother! How long have you been a monk?

Over three years.

But why do you want to be monk?

Why? Because I like to.

O God! Spiritual practice is arduous, and you said you like it?

Who said a spiritual life is hard? It’s a real joy!

But what do you eat to become so fat?

I eat rice.

I know that. What I meant is what do you eat with rice?

With bean sauce, fermented tofu, tofu, and cucumber.

Really? Have you ever had something else as supplements?

What are supplements?

Like once in a while, you’d pretend to eat some meat or fish.

Buddha be praised! This temple is 100% vegetarian. No mixed breed at all. Don’t think up wrong ideas! Buddha be praised!

But how come you’re so fat being a vegetarian?

It’s just my body composition. If your body is not picky, you’d gain weight with any little food.

Really? I thought you must have consumed elephant’s milk.

You have a good sense of humor. I must get back to work. If my master sees me chatting with you too long, he’ll scold me.

Wait! Brother!

What is it again?

Please do me a favor by calling Nhất Tâm for me.

You can go to the guest room and ask the reception monk to help you.

But I’ve waited since this morning. Please help me.

Since this morning? And you haven’t seen him?

No.

All right, sit on that rock and wait for me. I’ll go find Nhất Tâm for you.

Thank you, brother.

Nhất Tâm is meditating now.

What is meditating?

It’s sitting with crossed legs like this, two hands placed like this, and eyes closed. There! That’s meditating.

But why must one do that?

It’s to fight against the Maya (King of Ghosts).

King of Ghosts? Are there a lot of ghosts in this temple?

A lot! My God, they mess about everywhere!

But I see nothing at all.

How can you? They’re living ghosts, not dead ones.

Living ghosts?

Living ghosts with long hair, wearing white shirts and pants, high-heel shoes, and even carrying a purse. Goodness! They’re all good-looking ghosts!

Who are they?

Those ghosts? Those ghosts (ma) are called Ma-đăng-già (Maatangi).

Maatangi?

Yes.

Who is Maatangi?

If you want to know who Maatangi is, go ask brother Nhất Tâm. He’ll answer you right away.

Let me go in there then. I’ll call brother Nhất Tâm and be right back.

You can’t do that!

But I’ll go out right away after I call him.

You can’t. The rules here are very strict. Women aren’t allowed in the monks’ quarters. Don’t go in there.

But I know that if I go in and call him, brother Nhất Tâm will come out right away,

He’s meditating. How can he come out? He is meditating. He can’t come out. No! He meditates. He can’t come out. Don’t go in!

Please do me a favor. I’ll reward you greatly.

All right, I’ll help you. No need for reward. But next time when you come here, remember to read this sign for me, all right?

Yes, I’ll remember.

What help do you want? Tell me. Any message, I’ll tell Nhất Tâm for you.

Will you give this to him? But never mind. I’ll come back another day. I’ll take leave now.

Amitabha Buddha be praised!

Buddha be praised!

She talked and asked a lot of things. Yet she made no offering and would only do so when brother Nhất Tâm comes out. What an unreasonable person!

What are you looking at? I myself get no offering, much less you. Go back to work.

Buddha! Amitabha Buddha be praised!

Kindly recite in a softer tone, brother.

You can hear me reciting even in your meditation? You do your meditation, I do my study. Why pay attention then be bothered by it? Amitabha Buddha be praised!

Your Venerable, I’ve focused on meditation, neglecting my study and duties as a monk here. Please allow me to repent.

It’s good that you’re aware of it. A renunciate must study the precepts during his first five years, then he can learn the sutras and meditation. Precepts are the foundation for a spiritual practitioner. Precepts are also the foundation for liberation. Because precepts bring concentration, which brings wisdom. Studying other disciplines without the precepts is like building a house without a solid foundation. The house will easily collapse.

Your Venerable, I’ve become a renunciate to solve the matter of life and death. Here I have to do a lot of studying that is not suitable for my aim in spiritual practice. Today, I ask your permission to leave the monk community.

All right. If you think staying here isn’t suitable for you, you may go and learn from other eminent masters.

Your Venerable, I didn’t mean to go look for another master. I just wish to go to a quiet place to focus on my practice alone. I wish to resolve the matter of life and death right in this lifetime. Please allow me.

Look at that tree! After being planted, it’d take time to bloom and bear fruits. You just sowed the seed but you wanted to reap the fruits right away. Is that possible?

I’ve made up my mind. Please allow me, Master.

A renunciate should rely on his master and spiritual community for at least five retreats. He must understand Buddhist precepts and teachings well before leaving his master. The ancient masters said: “A tiger leaving the mountain loses his power; a monk leaving his community heads to his ruin.”

It means that: A tiger that is away from the wild will be vulnerable to being attacked. A monk who leaves his spiritual community to practice alone is prone to violate the precepts and ruin his spiritual life. I don’t agree for you to go practice alone like that. It’s very dangerous. You should reconsider it carefully.

Thank you for your advice, Master.

Amitabha Buddha be praised!
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/9181

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms