Download

Aulacese (Vietnamese) Buddhist Temple: Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (70MB)    MP4(93MB)  
Today’s A Journey through Aesthetic Realms will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

Âu Lạc (Vietnam) is a country in Southeast Asia with a history of over 4,000 years of civilization. Around 300 BCE, under the reign of King Hùng III, Buddhism was introduced to Âu Lạc from India. Since then Âu Lạc has become the birthplace of many venerable monks and nuns.

Among them were great intellectuals, who contributed immensely to the nation’s development. For example, in the 11th century Lý dynasty, there were Zen Master Vạn Hạnh and National Master Nguyễn Minh Không; in the 13th century Trần dynasty, there were Trúc Lâm First Patriarch Trần Nhân Tông and Zen Master Tuệ Trung Thượng Sĩ; and more recently, in the 20th century, the Most Venerable Thích Mãn Giác, who worked tirelessly to disseminate Truth teachings.

Buddhism reached its pinnacle in the Lý and Trần dynasties. An excerpt from “A Collection of Unusual Tales,” written by Nguyễn Dữ, describes: “Those initiated into monkhood or nunhood were as many as half of the general population. Pagodas were constructed, more than 10 in large villages, and about 5, 6 in small villages.”

Pagodas can be found throughout the nation, from north to south. For instance, northern Âu Lạc has the One Pillar Pagoda, built around 1049; Perfume Pagoda, built at the end of the 17th century; and Đậu Pagoda in the 11th century under Lý dynasty.

The Central region has Celestial Seal Pagoda, built in 1694; Từ Đàm Pagoda built at the end of the 17th century; and Heavenly Lady Pagoda, officially built in 1601. The Heavenly Lady Pagoda in the Complex of Huế Monuments was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1993 as a World Cultural Heritage site. Southern Âu Lạc has Sacred Mountain Cave Temple, built in the 18th century, and Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda at the beginning of the 19th century.

From the 20th century till now, Buddhism in Âu Lạc continues to flourish. The number of Buddhists taking refuge in the Three Jewels (Enlightened Master, Truth, Saintly Assembly) have reached nearly 45 million. The entire nation has about 44,498 monks and nuns, with more than 14,775 pagodas, temples and monasteries.

The temple has become an endearing image closely connected to the life of the Aulacese people, who go to the temple not only to study Buddhism and find inner peace, but also to be reminded of their ancestors’ virtues, as stated by the Most Venerable Thích Mãn Giác:

“The temple protects the spirit of the nation, It’s our ancestors’ way of life since time immemorial.”

During a lecture at the Việt Nam Temple in Los Angeles, California, USA on March 24, 1991, Supreme Master Ching Hai expounded on the purpose and significance of a temple.

A temple is an important place. Why is it important? It’s important not because it’s big but because it reminds everyone not to forget his or her spiritual aspiration. Therefore, a temple is a place for you to come to study Buddhism, to stand and walk more dignified. You must find the monks to study Truth teachings so that your mind develops further. But you must protect the temple.

For example, if you’ve been going there for a long time, the temple would inevitably have wear and tear, so you should contribute your effort and material resources to upkeep it. First, the temple represents the long-standing culture of Âu Lạc (Vietnam); it represents a great religion in the world. Second, it’s there so that you can have a refuge for the spirit, and third, for our children to have a place to continue the virtuous traditions of the Aulacese (Vietnamese) people.

We are deeply grateful to Supreme Master Ching Hai for her treasured words and boundless grace for the nation and the righteous and pious people of Âu Lạc.

On the first day of the lunar month, I visit the temple. I go with my mother to buy lotus flowers.
I go to the temple to offer all my soul and sincere reverence to Buddha.
The scent of aloe wood incense permeates the air. In my earnest prayer, I dream of Buddha.
The Most Compassionate appears composedly serene. I dream that Buddha is smiling.
The rhythm of scripture reciting reverberates in my heart, blending with the sounds of tocsin and brass bells.
The love I feel from the Father of old is deeply imprinted in my innocent mind.
I pray to Buddha to bless me so that I can become an obedient child.
From now on, I’ll stop indulging in play. I’m determined and vow to study diligently.
From now on, I’ll stop indulging in play. I’m determined and vow to study diligently.

You’ve just enjoyed “Going to the Temple,” a Buddhist song widely known among the Aulacese (Vietnamese), composed by Dương Thiện Hiền and performed by famed singer Lệ Thu.

“Buddha abounds in love This pagoda is thus named Vĩnh Tràng (Eternal) Monks care for their country Their hearts are like Tiền Giang River.” The above four verses by poet Xuân Thủy are dedicated to a famous ancient temple in southern Âu Lạc, which has been listed as a historical and cultural vestige of national significance: Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda.

Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda is located in Mỹ Tho City, Tiền Giang Province. It was created out of wood by architects and sculptors in the late 19th century, containing carved images which convey a mythical mood and reflect a royal ambience. From afar, the roof of Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda has five majestic towers, which stand out under the blue sky.

Do you know why the Pagoda has five towers?

As far as I know, these five towers symbolize the five basic elements which are metal, wood, water, fire and earth. According to Eastern philosophy, everything in the universe originates from the five basic elements.

In the past, the pagoda was only a simple hut built in about the early 19th century under the reign of King Minh Mạng. In 1849, when the Venerable Thích Huệ Đăng came to preside over, he rebuilt it into a large pagoda named Vĩnh Trường, implying good wishes for the pagoda to be “eternal like mountains and rivers, everlasting like Heaven and Earth.”

Later, due to local pronunciation, people became accustomed to calling it Vĩnh Tràng. Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda was built in a grand, sophisticated and architecturally diverse manner, combining European and Asian styles. There are features of the European Renaissance, the Roman dome, the French motley marbles, and Japanese enamel tiles.

From afar, it looks like the ancient Angkor Wat of Cambodia. In the front of the pagoda, there are two triple door gates, built very skillfully in the style of ancient castles by the craftsmen from Huế.

Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda’s triple door gates are unique in the art of grafting porcelain pieces into mosaic pictures with harmonious colors, illustrating Buddhist legends, folk tales, themes such as four precious plants (apricot, orchid, chrysanthemum, and bamboo) and four sacred beings (dragon, unicorn, tortoise, and phoenix), and images of flowers.

Parallel verses, also embossed with glistening colorful porcelain pieces, are truly spectacular. Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda has 4 connected compartments. The front hall, the main hall, the patriarch hall, and the back hall are all built from cement and precious wood with vibrant architecture and sculptures. Inside the temple is a sparkling golden color, generated by the gilding on embossed images and statues of Buddhas.

Most notable are the pairs of large, round dragon pillars in the main hall. The main hall is solemnly decorated with many treasurable statues made out of bronze, wood, and terra cotta; all are brightly gilded.

In the center are the altars of Shakyamuni Buddha, Amitabha Buddha, Quan Yin Bodhisattva, and Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva. On both sides are two statues of Dharma Guardians, the Ten Kings of Hades, and the Earth-store Bodhisattva.

On two walls of the main hall are the altars of the 18 Arhats. These life-like statues of the Arhats are carved from precious and rare wood. Each Arhat has his own treasure symbolizing the senses which are called the six sense organs in Buddhist teaching, including the eyes, the ears, the nose, the tongue, the body, and the mind.

Thư, come take look at these Arhat statues!

Are they the 18 Arhats?

Yes. These were Buddha’s 18 disciples who attained Arhathood and gained six miraculous powers.

I saw them being worshiped at many temples.

It’s because they remain in the world to guard the True Teaching and benefit sentient beings.

The bronze statue of the Jade Emperor is life-size, but unlike the past tradition, the Jade Emperor here has no Southern and Northern Hemisphere Deities holding the register of birth and death; instead, there are Good and Evil Deities. In addition, the pagoda has many meticulously carved pieces such as that of the Eight Fairies riding animals, the Sun Deity and Moon Deity; all were created by local craftsmen in about 1907-1908.

I heard that the Eight Fairies are enlightened spiritual practitioners, but why do they have the Sun Deity and Moon Deity here?

I think we Aulacese, since ancient times, have realized that the Sun and Moon are beings of high spiritual level; therefore we worship them.

The lacquered boards and parallel verses in the pagoda were sculptured with embossed letters. Also, the pagoda still keeps more than 20 valuable watercolor paintings characteristic of Aulacese culture, such as images of “apricot, orchid, chrysanthemum, bamboo” and idyllic sceneries.

It’s beautiful! But I wonder what spiritual meaning this precious set of “apricot, orchid, chrysanthemum, bamboo” has in order for it to be placed here.

For sure it has meaning. These four plants symbolize the four qualities of a noble person; for example, apricot symbolizes elegance, orchid for modesty, chrysanthemum for honesty, and bamboo for patience.

I see. A spiritual practitioner needs to possess these virtues.

Connecting the main hall and the patriarch hall is a rock garden in the middle. This rock garden portrays effervescent scenery characteristic of Âu Lạc, conveying the ancestors’ wish to bring nature inside each abode. Looking out from the rock garden toward the back of the main hall, at the front of the patriarch hall one can see the Roman style of architecture with lines of French motley marbles decorated on the roof and ceremonial cement pillars.

Around the pagoda is a garden with many rare plants, scented flowers and century-old shade-giving trees, creating a wonderful harmony between the natural setting and the structure, making the pagoda more antique, solemn, and majestic.

In the front of the pagoda, there is a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha meditating under the bodhi tree. On the right are the lotus pond and Quan Yin Bodhisattva statue. On both sides, there are many ancient towers of the late Venerables. At the back of the pagoda are the meeting hall and bookstore.

Recently, two more towering statues of Amitabha and Maitreya Buddhas were constructed. The Amitabha Buddha statue is 24 meters high, standing majestically in the middle of the spacious garden, portraying Lord Buddha taking care of sentient beings in all realms.

The Maitreya Buddha statue is 20 meters high; underneath is a large and airy space with lighting and decorative lamps designed with a very Zen ambience. These two Buddhas are also the most worshipped in Asian countries because of their compassionate vows.

In 1984, Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda was recognized by Âu Lạc as a nationally historical vestige. In May 2007, Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda was recognized by the Aulacese Book of Records as the first temple in Âu Lạc to have combined European and Asian architectural styles.

Today, Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda has been further enhanced. It is a solemn place for Buddhists to come to worship and be reminded of the boundless love of the Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Saints who continuously bless and elevate all beings.

Thank you for watching today’s program introducing Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda, a famous ancient temple in southern Âu Lạc. May you be graced with peace, wisdom and virtue always. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television. Coming up next is Vegetarianism: The Noble Way of Living, right after Noteworthy News. So long for now.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/9326

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples