Good People Good Work

SMARTER Brunei - Changing the Lives of the Autistic (In Bahasa Melayu)      
Today’s Good People, Good Works will be presented in Bahasa Melayu and English, with subtitles in Arabic, Aulacese (Vietnamese), Chinese, English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Mongolian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Thai.

Autism is not a mental illness or having a handicapped brain; it’s not a condition of a naughty child that does not want to listen. It’s not because parents don’t know how to teach their child, not a behavioral problem and not a disability or handicap; it’s only a state of being different.

Hallo, loving viewers, and welcome to today’s Good People, Good Works. Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that affects how a person’s brain functions and often leads to lifelong developmental disabilities.

There is no known prevention or cure for autism, but early diagnosis and intervention can significantly improve the lives of patients. Globally, approximately 67-million people are affected by autism, and more children are diagnosed each year with the condition than with diabetes, cancer and AIDS combined.

On today’s program we introduce the Society for the Management of Autism Related issues in Training, Education and Resources Brunei or SMARTER Brunei, a non-profit organization that serves as a support group for families with autistic members and provides education and skills training to autistics with the ultimate goal of making them independent and productive members of society.

In Brunei, one in 150 people has autism, the same number as in the United States. The high-quality, professional educational environment provided by SMARTER Brunei to those with the condition has been recognized by many international organizations, such as the World Autism Organization, the Asia-Pacific Center for Disability, the Autism Program Quality Indicator New York, Autism-Europe and the UK’s National Autistic Society.

Smarter Brunei was founded on September 9, 2001 after my son Syed Mohd Faud Azim was diagnosed with autism. It was then, with the intention to help other families that have the challenge of autistic children, I founded it and this center has functioned since 2003. When my child was diagnosed with autism in 2001 he was three-plus years in age. At that time, it was very shocking news that made my four daughters and my wife feel sad.

Even prior to his son’s diagnosis, Malai Haji Abdullah knew of autism. While living in the UK in the 1970s, he studied mental illnesses and disabilities and received a diploma in the field and had the opportunity to work with autistics.

The symptoms of autism include problems in communication, social interaction and behavior. There are three symptoms. Autism is a process of development that is slow and this results in an individual having problems in sight, hearing, talking and feeling. When the process of development is slow, it will affect an individual in his social development, training development, education development and emotional development.

One of the symptoms experienced by most individuals with autism is that they do not want to look into the eyes of people during interaction. Their concentration span is too short, sometimes only paying attention for one minute. After that, he will start to shift his concentration to other places or be easily distracted. And it is very difficult to interact with others.

Another symptom that is obvious is called echolalia, or repetition of people’s words. If we say, “How’re you?” The answer is “How’re you?” “Where’re you going?” The answer is “Where’re you going?” Whereas the answer should be “I want to go to the shop,” or something like that. We say, “Come here.” He will say, “Come here,” instead of responding.

And echopraxia, or imitation of our actions. If we stand on one leg, he will imitate by standing on one leg too. With intervention or earlier care, all children or individuals with autism have a chance to lead a better life and be more productive.

The majority of people in Brunei practice Islam and Malai Haji Abdullah believes the sacred rituals that are a part of the faith aid in the development of autistic children.

Children who have autism need structure and self- discipline. By using and practicing the Islamic way of life, they gain a way of living that’s disciplined and structured. Islamic structure involves reciting prayers five times a day, which teaches time management.

It’s true that all individuals with autism are trained and taught in the way to pray, first by means of following or imitating only. We believe that the children that are given to us are God’s gift. The Islamic religion gives me strength to handle this challenge. I am very fortunate to have been chosen by God.

So for this center, with the president, we start developing the program for our kids, we arrange the curriculum, the programs that are suitable in their areas of need, the needs of our children. So here my role includes arranging things for the teachers and therapists, teaching, lesson planning and designing the curriculum, the programs.

Being the manager of this center, coincidently my background is that of a teacher, a language teacher, so I apply my experience to providing services at this center as a volunteer. Of course with SMARTER, my son progress very well. We can see his development, especially my second one, Adip, the second son. Because he has followed the SMARTER programs since the beginning. We’re the pioneers.

SMARTER Brunei has two centers for children and one for autistic adults and currently serves 88 students. These facilities offer speech, language, and vocational training as well as classes in mathematics, computers, swimming, cooking, and family relations. In addition, SMARTER Brunei organizes fun activities for students such as family camping outings, trips to the cinema, and window shopping.

It’s hoped that through events like these autistic individuals can learn to better adapt to society, develop their interests and learn social skills. Some autistics are already highly gifted in an area and thus truly excel in the field.

One of the advantages of individuals with autism is that they have artistic skills or advantages such as playing music or painting or in math or numbers or in computers, in mechanics; whatever they want can be turned into an advantage. Individuals with autism or individuals who have autism have advantages like being musicians or painters, like drawing and sketching, Okay? And they may also be athletes.

So what do you like to do in SMARTER? What’s your favorite subject in SMARTER? (Maths) Maths. What else? (Art) Art. What do you like to do in art?

Drawing and coloring.

Drawing and coloring. Just now you said you like maths. Are you good in maths? (Yes.) What do you like to do?

Multiplication (multiplication) and addition.

And addition. If I ask you, can you answer my question? (Yes.) Okay, let’s try: five times five. (It’s 25.)

What about six times six? (It’s 36.) Wow, Mei, you’re so good!

What about addition? 20 plus 15. (It’s 35.)

Wow, that’s good, Mei. So you learn a lot from SMARTER, Mei? You learn a lot from SMARTER? (Yes.)

So, you enjoy going to SMARTER? (Yes.) Yes.

SMARTER has a very good community adaptation program. My daughter now learns to go for walks, exercise and then she follows those programs with my caregiver going everywhere and she enjoys it. She has gone for a boat ride, visited Kampong Ayer, gone to supermarkets, and many places. She also follows the program; even though my daughter is not that good at speaking, I’m happy that she can attend the school here and read. At least she has some friends. She has sort of a daily routine that she can follow.

The classes at SMARTER Brunei have helped many autistic children to start expressing their love and concern to their family members and thus enhanced their bonds.

She’s a most caring person. Do you love mommy? (Yes.)

Yes. Mommy’s sweet. (Mommy’s good?)

Yes.

Yes, very good. Does Mommy take care of you? (Yes.)

Yes! Can you tell Mommy that you love her? (Yes.)

What do you say? What do you say?

What did you say to Mommy?

I love you, Mommy. (Oh…)

One day I was very sick, I was terribly sick because of a cold. At that time, I felt very cold in my room. Suddenly he came into my room, knocked on my door, then took a blanket and gave it to me. At that time I felt so touched.

Then, that evening, he brought me food and drink. After that he helped... sat beside me, spoon-fed me little by little, although spilling here and there, I felt sad and happy at the same time. He helps me a lot... he is definitely part of my life.

In addition to its classroom curriculum, SMARTER Brunei has also established a parent-and-family support group, so that family members of autistics can exchange information and learn more about the condition.

The role of this Society is to advocate for families and individuals with autism. People won’t understand about autism if we parents don’t have awareness programs for them. So that’s the way to make sure that this country and society are autism friendly, through collaboration and full cooperation, yes, among all parties.

My friends asked me why my brother was like this. It was hard for me to tell them that my brother is autistic. In the beginning they were very afraid of my brother, but when I got closer with SMARTER, with the SMARTER family, I began to know autism more deeply.

Now, it’s easier to tell people about SMARTER. Since he got into SMARTER, there are profound changes; he has discipline, wants to be independent, is good at adapting himself, doesn’t need my parents to help him, like with bathing, eating; even sometimes he’s good at cooking by himself.

What does the future hold for SMARTER Brunei? Malai Haji Abdullah gives us some perspective.

So our ambition or strategic future plan is to obtain a bigger building to accommodate the enrollment of new members, and to make sure that we obtain jobs, by opening our own companies; I will open five companies; i.e., color-servicing, furniture, a furniture repair shop, cleaning services and office equipment. All these will be opened to give job opportunities to individuals with autism and give them a chance to be shareholders in the company.

With this, we’ll be able to guarantee that children or individuals with autism have financial security. Our first step is to open a SMARTER charity shop where we’ll sell second-hand items. And when we have a building later, God willing, all individuals with autism will be able to enjoy the financial security that has been dreamed of. And we want them to lead a life where all is pragmatic, affordable, timely, holistic and sustainable.

Finally, Miguelangelo Q Dimanlig is a child with autism who loves to paint and has a rich imagination. He painted a picture to express his thanks for Supreme Master Television’s visit to SMARTER Brunei’s autism center.

Our sincere appreciation, Malai Haji Abdullah bin Haji Malai Othman and other SMARTER Brunei staff for providing tender care and love to autistic children and adults. May Allah continue to bless the noble work of your organization so that all those with autism in Brunei can lead ever more peaceful, happy, and productive lives.

For more details on the SMARTER Brunei, please visit www.SmarterBrunei.org

Loyal viewers, we enjoyed your company on today’s program. Coming up next is The World Around Us, after Noteworthy News. May your life always be blessed by Divine light.

The Alola Foundation: Embracing the Women and Children of Timor-Leste 
 Global Veg Efforts: Lighting the Path to Survival 

Most popular
 Irish Aid in Zambia: Our Lady’s Hospice and Umoyo Day Center for Orphans
 Al-Manarah: Nazereth’s Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired (In Arabic)
 Dr. Habiba Sarabi: Afghanistan’s Peacemaking Governor (In Dari)
 Chantal Cooke's Passion for the Planet
 Step Right Up to See the Sustainable Living Roadshow!
 The Santa Shoebox Project: Celebrating the Giving Spirit of Christmas
 Ancient Ways and Nhimbe for Progress: The Spirit of Working Together
 Coloring Hope: Six-Year-Old Dmitri Rosescu Draws to Save Baby Emma
 For India's Deserving Youth: El Shaddai Children’s Rescue & Living Hope Children’s Home (In Hindi)
 Dr. Louise Pascale: Helping Afghan Children through Song (In Dari)