気候変動のビデオ

IPCC Chief Pachauri : Go Veg. Be Green. And Save Our Planet.   

( 6.51 MB )

SupremeMasterTV:  From Supreme Master Television, my question is for Dr. Pachauri. You once made a plea saying “Please eat less meat; meat is a very carbon intensive commodity.” Please can you explain to our global viewers, how eating less meat will help to curb global warming?

Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, Chairman of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Well if you look at the entire commercialized meat cycle, let’s start with the killing of the animal itself. It has to be preserved, in a cool environment, and today this is a global business, we not only need refrigeration at source, we also need refrigeration at transportation. And then all the meat is stored in warehouses, from where it goes to retail outlets. And in retail outlets it’s kept again under refrigeration.

People buy meat, they buy a whole lot of it, take it home. Refrigerators have larger and larger freezers now. Why? Because you need to preserve meat. And I am not even talking about clearing of forest for pasture land! So if you were to take into account the entire chain, the entire cycle of meat production and consumption, it’s hugely intensive in terms of carbon dioxide emissions. And therefore, I always say that if you eat less meat you would be healthier and so would the planet!

VOICE: Dr. Pachauri later granted Supreme Master Television an interview, further sharing his advice.

Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, Chairman of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: I think it would help the global community enormously, if we consume less meat. But I am only highlighting the fact that the entire meat cycle is very very intensive, in terms of carbon dioxide emissions. I would say Go Veg, Be Green and save our planet! And I'd like to say this to Supreme Master Television: Best wishes for your endeavors towards a sustainable world. Thank you.

VOICE: Thank you Dr. Rajendra Pachauri and all caring leaders of the future of our climate and our world environment. May we all rise to the task of reducing our carbon footprints by turning to healthier plant-based diets.

関連リンク

PLANET EARTH:OUR LOVING HOME HOME Dr. Rajendra Pachauri,Chief of UN IPCC on a Win-Win Situation for the Planet: Go Vegetarian!

HEALTHY LIVING Introducing a Climate Friendly Diet: An Interview with Dr. Annika Carlsson-Kanyama

PLANET EARTH:OUR LOVING HOME From CO2 to Climate Change: In-depth with David Archer, PhD in Geophysics - Part 1