(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
Vegan Orange Flan
1½ liters fresh orange juice
1 cup demerara sugar
2 cups demerara sugar
1 cup water
- Make 1½ liter juice from oranges.
- Pour the juice into a pan, and cook it. Set aside a portion of juice to be mixed with the corn starch.
- Add in a cup of demerara sugar and keep stirring it until the juice boils.
- When the juice already boils, lower the heat, add in the corn starch juice mixture, and continue stirring.
- Let the mixture cook for another 5-7 minutes while keep stirring.
- Turn the heat off, let it cool down a little bit before putting it into the mould. It will be refrigerated for at least 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel sauce by mixing 2 cups of sugar with 1 cups of water.
- Put the sugar water mixture on the stove with low heat without stirring it.
- Let the sugar melt by moving the pan slowly.
- Let it cook until the sugar becomes dark and the water evaporated.
- Let it cool down.
- After 5 hours, take out the flan and serve it with the caramel sauce.