(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ medium-sized onion (diced)
2 cups celery (diced)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 package Soyrizo or 2 patties of vegan burger or other textured vegetable protein (TVP)
1 can (15 ounces) chili beans
1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained and washed)
1 can (15 ounces)pinto beans (drained and washed)
2 cans (30 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces)tomato paste
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (7 ounces) diced green chili peppers
1 can (15 ounces) vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat a frying pan, add in a tablespoon of canola oil. Spread that around. Use medium heat.
- Remove the package of the Soyrizo and put them on the pan, and let them brown.
- Saute ½ of diced onion with 2 tablespoon of canola oil until they are translucent. Stir that around, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Add in the diced celery, let it soften up. This may takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the green bell pepper, the red bell pepper.
- Add in the black beans, the pinto beans, and the chili beans.
- Add in 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 small can of tomato sauce.
- Add in 1 can of chopped green chilies and 1 can of tomato paste.
- Add in 2 cups of vegetable broth, and stir them around.
- Add in a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper, and 2 teaspoon of turbinado sugar.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaves, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 2 teaspoon of oregano leaves and 2 tablespoon of chili powder.
- Add in the Soyrizo.
- Stir around and let them cook for at least 40 minutes on low heat.
- Stir it for every 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture gets the right consistency, which is kind of thicker, then the chili con amor is ready to be served.
- This chili can be served with some French fries, some chips, and also some vegan hot dogs.
- Just pour the chili right on top of all that.
- Add some minced onions or some shredded vegan cheese on top of it (optional).