Download

Aulacese (Vietnamese) Chèo Traditional Opera: Heavenly Affinity - P2/3 (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (130MB)    MP4(178MB)  
Today’s Enlightening Entertainment will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai.

Âu Lạc (Vietnam) is a nation that has a long-standing traditional culture. Aulacese music is very rich; since ancient times, there have been many musical instruments that move the soul with a wide variety of sounds like those of the copper drum, gong, lithophone, bamboo xylophone, cymbals and panpipe. In 2003, Elegant Music, a form of Huế royal music, was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as an intangible cultural heritage of the world.

Âu Lạc’s music represents the unique features of each region, for example, Quan Họ folksongs in the North, Huế tunes in the Central, and cải lương (modern folk opera) in the South. In addition, there are many other forms of music, including hò (work songs), lý (village songs), ceremonial songs, Aulacese classical opera, chèo traditional opera, Hồ Quảng opera, and so on.

Indeed, music has been deeply instilled in the hearts of people in this beautiful country, and has been cultivated until this day. Northern Âu Lạc has a folk art called xẩm singing that is very popular in the northern plains and midland. This genre, in the old time, was performed by minstrel bands.

In a gathering with a small group of our Association members some years past, Supreme Master Ching Hai was inspired to spontaneously compose and sing in the xẩm style a poem she had written in her late 20s in Germany. The poem was originally written in English which the poet herself translated into Aulacese.

We now invite you to enjoy an excerpt of the xẩm singing “We Don't Live More Than One Hundred Years!” composed and sung by Supreme Master Ching Hai.

I mean tonight I was nuts! But so what: Aren’t the rest of us!... Otherwise how could we carry on living, For life isn’t worth a thing!?

You know that I am still in love with you! But that has nothing to do... I cannot please everybody, So I will please me! That doesn’t mean you are not right; We all have only one life!

On Enlightening Entertainment, Supreme Master Television is pleased to introduce different forms of arts from Âu Lạc (Vietnam), as well as from other countries in the world, in order to share the beauty and cultures of the peoples on our planet.

Chèo traditional opera is a folk theater art which originated from the regions near the mountains and from the plains of northern Âu Lạc. There are varied opinions about the beginning of chèo traditional opera: the earliest time is believed to be in 4th century BCE and the most recent is 14th century, at the end of the Trần dynasty. Chèo is a narrative genre of folk theater, recounting stories through a combination of music, singing and dance.

One of the unique features of chèo is a skillful portrayal of subtle gestures and movements. During festivals, people in the plains of northern Âu Lạc often look forward to watching chèo traditional opera. The lyrics are infused with folk poetry and proverbs; tragedies are usually counter-balanced with satires. Chèo is replete with the pure simplicity of the common folk, yet equally profound in meaning.

The Aulacese chèo traditional opera “Heavenly Affinity” is based on the legend of the smart and beautiful Princess Tiên Dung during the reign of King Hùng III and Chử Đồng Tử, a poor but very filial and compassionate young man.

This is a famous Aulacese love story which conveys spiritual meanings, upholds altruism, and reveals the senselessness of placing import on transient outer forms. Saint Chử Đồng Tử is also considered one of “The Four Immortals” in the Aulacese pantheon. To date, many places in the country still worship Saint Chử Đồng Tử and Princess Tiên Dung.

We now invite you to enjoy part 2 of the Aulacese chèo traditional opera titled “Heavenly Affinity” by playwright Nguyễn Thị Hồng Ngát,

with performances by Mr. Mạnh Huấn as Saint Chử Đồng Tử, Ms. Vân Quyền as Princess Tiên Dung, Mr. Xuân Vượng as King Hùng, Mr. Trần Hải as Minister, Ms. Thanh Mạn as Miss Nguyễn, Mr. Thanh Tùng as Court Clown, Mr. Ngọc Kình as the Fairy, Mr. Tuấn Cường as Handsome Nobleman, Mr. Khắc Bình as the Minister’s Nephew, Mr. Đỗ Vinh as Old Nobleman, Mr. Vũ Ngọc as Young Nobleman, and other artists.

In the last episode: King Hùng decreed the selection of a prince consort for Princess Tiên Dung; however, she had yet to find her kindred soul. To find solace, the Princess went sightseeing along the Nhị Hà River and stopped by a beautiful sandbank. Dwelling at this place was a young man named Chử Đồng Tử.

He was very poor and did not even have enough clothing to cover himself. Thus, upon seeing a group of young women approaching, he buried himself under the sand to hide. As fate arranged it, Princess Tiên Dung met Chử Đồng Tử. They loved and respected each other right from their first encounter.

Thank you for watching today’s Enlightening Entertainment. Please stay tuned to Supreme Master Television. Coming up is Words of Wisdom. We wish you and your cherished ones peaceful and happy days in Heaven’s loving protection.

An intelligent and good-looking nobleman asked for the Princess’ hand in marriage?

Yes.

Fine, fine. Send him in right away! Now, Minister! (Yes.) Who knows? This could be the one I need to meet.

Yes, that’s right! Summon the nobleman here!

Send him in!

Respectful greetings, Your Majesty! Greetings, Minister!

Nobleman, may I ask who are you? Where are you from?

Me? No one knows who I am. Only upon learning of the King’s choosing a successor, I’ve crossed forests and streams to be here. As a man leading a nomadic life, I wander far and wide to my heart’s content. I enjoy my life with the birds and animals.

Nobleman, I’m pleased with your looks already, I just regret that my daughter is on a sightseeing trip, but she should be back soon. Your Majesty, I’ve obviously missed a good opportunity. My home is in a nearby mountain district. Though a latecomer, I still would like to be Your Majesty’s son-in-law.

Your Majesty!

What is it? You have news of my daughter?

Your Majesty! Upon Her Highness’ order, I’ve hastened back to report to you. Her Highness has found a virtuous husband.

Princess Tiên Dung has found a virtuous husband? Royal maid! Who is it that the Princess has decided on so quickly?

He is Chử Đồng Tử who makes a living along the river.

Oh no! This news is like thunder striking by my ears. My insides are entangled, my eyes blurred, my head dizzy. My son-in-law is a commoner living by the river? O Tiên Dung! You’re like a jade leaf and gold branch. Why do you choose to ruin yourself? You’re a royal Princess. Why do you want to endure the wind and fog? I’ve brought you up with great expectations. O Tiên Dung! I’ve brought you up with great expectations. What causes you to go against my wish? You have the heart to betray my love.

Your Majesty, what’s wrong with a commoner’s son who is good? It’s better than thousands of wealthy but ill-mannered ones.

That’s right, Your Majesty. Chử Đồng Tử is an amicable young man. He’s gentle, pious, and very handsome too.

Your Majesty, please stay calm. I’ll go there immediately. I believe I can bring Princess Tiên Dung right back.

Very good! In that case, I’ll go there with you. Soldiers! (Yes.) Harness the horses for me to leave with this nobleman. (Yes.)

Your Majesty!

I’ve made up my mind already. Carry out my exact order!

Is this your house?

You see, this is my living condition. How can I think of...

It’s not that. I think this place is wonderful, with forest wind, mountain moon, and vast mulberry orchards. The Nhị Hà River stretches far, and the moon shines brightly above us. The most unique site I have ever seen.

I wonder why poverty is inflicted on my family, from my grandfather to my father and now to me. But I am blessed with two strong hands. I believe I will make my way in life one day.

I’ll help you build a successful and prosperous life here.

In what way? You can’t remain at this place.

What if I can?

You’re a noble Princess. I have no heart to let you suffer a hard life.

O darling, once in love, we must accept all challenges. We’d cross nine rivers and swim ten seas, as long as we can be together. Later, I’ll sit and sew your shirt. As many threads there are, that much I love you. I’ll sew your shirt in the thatched hut. As many threads there are, that much I love you. This thatched hut is wind-swept day and night. As I gaze at you, I become more enamored with you. Parted from you for a moment, I pine for you evermore. Together in a loving bond, I care not for wealth and luxury.

Tiên Dung, I thank you for your love. Since I met you, I felt as if given more vigor. I can’t forget the time when father and son had just one piece of loincloth. There are still some sweet potatoes inside. Would you care to have a simple meal with me?

Sweet potato? (Yes.) It’s the first time in my life I get to know its taste.

Try it, sweetheart! What do you think?

Very good, and different too.

Oh, that means you can live here. But eating potato everyday, it’ll be very boring.

It’s all right, as long as I can be with you.

But what if your father the King won’t let you stay here?

Well, will you go to the capital with me?

No, I’m not used to living in the capital. Besides, a boat goes along with its helm, a married woman follows her husband – it’s a custom.

I think it’ll be better for you at the capital.

Oh, no. I can’t leave this place.

I understand how you feel, my love. I’ll stay with you forever.

So will I, Tiên Dung. I’ll be with you always. Tiên Dung, my precious! Our love is immense like the sea and sky.

Our love is immense like the sea and sky. Tempests or strong waves may rise, we’ll never part from each other. We’ll be together for life.

Together we share one thatched hut. We love each other and don’t mind poverty. With compatible ideas, we will create prosperity. Thanks to Heaven that I have you.

Your Highness, please hide right away! His Majesty is enraged. He wants to disrupt your relationship. He and the handsome nobleman will be here any moment.

Who is the handsome nobleman?

He’s someone in a nearby district who desires to be the King’s son-in-law.

I’m sorry but it’s too late. I’m now a married woman. My beloved, please stay by my side.

Long live Your Majesty!

Be at ease!

You’re already excused by the King. Oh my, he looks very handsome and bright. His only woe is poverty, he’s bare to the bone.

Tiên Dung! (Yes.) Is that the man?

Yes, Father.

I’m very clear now. I don’t understand why you’d degrade yourself to love someone who doesn’t even have a mere loincloth to wear.

Respected Father, a marriage is destined by fate. I think this probably is Heaven’s will.

You mean my will is inferior to that of God?

Father!

Tiên Dung! Do you see that handsome nobleman? He comes to bring you back for a wedding.

Greetings, Princess!

I’m sorry, I haven’t had the honor to know you.

Please forgive me, Your Highness. I came a little late, but it’s better late than never. May I ask you to think of your jade form and allow me to serve you for life?

I thank you, nobleman. But regretfully, I am a married woman. Please forgive me, sir.

Tiên Dung, you can’t speak like that! Who permitted you to wed that you call yourself a married woman?

Respected Father, a vow of troth is worth more than many outward ceremonies.

You over there! (Yes.) Release my daughter! (Father!) Or else don’t blame me for not forewarning you. How dare you, a moldy chopstick, presume to sit in a lacquer tray? (O Father!)

Your Majesty, please don’t look down upon this humble subject as a moldy chopstick. May I ask you: As a ruler of this country, why do you let many people live in misery? As a human, who wouldn’t want lots of silver and gold? Who would want to lead a poor and wretched life? Tiên Dung, please think it over for your sake. I’m empty-handed, while that nobleman is ready with gold and silver.

No, once a vow is made, I’ll never go back on it.

Your Highness, please reconsider. How could a King’s daughter be married to a...

Be quiet! Don’t you offend my husband!

Don’t you realize that what you are doing also offends us? There are many worthy noblemen but you didn’t choose. Instead, you picked a poor, shirtless guy. His house is open to the sky. His furniture is but earthen bowls and chipped pots. And the wedding bed will be a bamboo bench.

Hush! You’re such an imprudent and arrogant person.

Tiên Dung, I advise you to return to the royal palace.

Yes, Father, but with one condition: I must be able to wed him.

No! That will never happen.

In that case, I’d like your permission to remain at this place.

Is that what you want?

Yes, respected Father.

All right, but one thing: You’re never allowed to return to the palace and will never see me again.

O Father! Please do not force me to make a choice. Love and filial piety, I wish to fulfill both, O Father.

Impossible! If you have him, you won’t have me. If you have me, you can’t have him.

O Father, I beg you to have mercy. Pity your young child who is entangled in the red thread of love. I’ve pledged a lifelong commitment. O Father, I beg you! I’ve pledged a lifelong commitment to stay with him in richness or in poor. Please pity my plight, O Father. Please pity my plight. I wish to fulfill both love and filial piety. How can you have the heart to sever our bond?

Tiên Dung, please go back to the palace with your father. Forget what happened here. We must go separate ways.

No, O darling, I love you. I love only you.

Remember, Tiên Dung! From now on, our father and daughter relation is finished.

O Father! I beg you, O Father!

Tiên Dung!

O Father, how have you the heart to abandon the child you most love? O Father! Look, the pathway has receded from view. Father’s image slowly fades from sight.

Tiên Dung, it’s still not too late. Hasten back to the capital city. Don’t be an unfilial child because of me.

That means I will have to be separated from you forever.

Tiên Dung!

No, beloved Chử Đồng Tử. You surely know what is more precious than any treasure in the world. That is the deep love between a couple. Now that I’ve found you, how can I be away you?

Tiên Dung!

Father has disowned me. He’s disclaimed all my title and right to the throne and considers me non-existent.

My precious, sit down here! From now on, we’ll always be together, never again separated.

Gazing at the vast mulberry orchard, I called out until hoarse, yet no one is in sight. How wretched it is for an old man, O God!

Tiên Dung, see who is coming this way.

A ragged, poor old man. He’s probably a beggar.

Anyone home?

Yes, elder. Please come in to have some drink. We’re poor; our thatched roof is leaking, but we do have a few sweet potatoes that you are welcome to have.

I’ve heard that you are a filial son. Now I’m here and find that it is indeed so.

O Elder, please come in here.

Come in here, Elder.

Who is that beautiful girl?

Is she Princess Tiên Dung?

Yes, Elder. Please come inside.

Please have a seat.

Sit down here, please.

Have a drink, Elder.

Thank you, child.

O Elder, we’re poor, so there are only boiled potatoes. Please have some to ease your hunger.

Thank you.

Look, it’s very strange!

He’s probably not an ordinary person.

Let me go get more for you to eat.

It’s all right. That was enough for me.

I just tested you two a little. I’m the Elder Fairy of the Ninth Heaven. In appreciation of your love and kindness, I came down to impart some spiritual knowledge. However, those who do charitable deeds must often undergo ordeals. Such a saying is quite true. If I transmit to you some Truth teachings, you’ll be able to save countless human lives, but one of you must die. Would you accept it?

Respected Fairy, all sacrifices are harsh. But this is quite... Respected Fairy, if death is a requirement, please let me die in his place.

Tiên Dung!

What do you think, Chử?

Respected Fairy, to save tens of thousands of lives, even if I must die, I’m willing to accept it. I only ask that Tiên Dung be blessed with a happy and safe life by her father the King.

No, it’s utterly unfair. How can I live on?

Tiên Dung!

Respected Fairy, why must there always be an exchange? Why is it that happiness must go hand in hand with bitterness? It took me half a lifetime to find him. Having yet to rejoice, why do we have to go our separate ways?

I feel satisfied being loved by you. Even if I must die, I have nothing to regret. Try to help people in misfortune and hardship. Only then, this love will endure forever.

No.

It’s very clear now. Tiên Dung, look here!

O God! O beloved! What happened to you? O darling! What happened to you? Respected Fairy, why must he die? Respected Fairy, if you must have him dead, let me go with him.

O Tiên Dung! Stand up, child! I just tested you a little. I’ve never seen in this world any couple who love each other this much. Look, Tiên Dung! Your Chử is coming back to life.

My darling, you’re conscious again!

Tiên Dung! (My love!)

Tiên Dung!

You’re conscious again.

Tiên Dung!

We’re grateful, O Fairy.

That is also a miracle of this staff. I’ll teach you both and let you keep it. This is the immortal staff. It will help you cure and save good people. Remember that it has to be the good ones. As for the ruthless and heartless, even if you point this magic staff at them, they won’t come back to life.

We’ll engrave your words forever in our hearts.

And this is the magic hat that will protect you from the elements. The gods will help and support you.

We’re deeply grateful to you.

Children, remember what I told you. The cloud carriage is here now. I’m going back to Heaven.

O Clown! (Yes.) It looks like you are the only one willing to keep me company day and night.

Your Majesty, I receive royal favors, thus I must requite kindness with kindness. If I left you, who’d be around to attend to you? Though my insides are churned like pungently sour cabbage, my face must still look all smiling. I must keep entertaining so the King can laugh. When the King tells me to cry, only then am I allowed. If the King tells me to go south and I run north, I’d surely lose my job. That’s why I’m called the Clown.

People have forgotten my real name. They just call me Clown. It hurts me so, O King! Woe is me! When do I ever get a chance to live for myself? I always have to entertain others to earn a livelihood. Day after day, I just hang about, going to and from. If the King loves me, I am happy; otherwise... Alas, the King is too old and weak now!

O Clown! (Yes.) What are you mumbling about?

Nothing at all!

Draw that curtain so I can look outside.

Yes.

Oh my God! Your Majesty! Leaves are falling in the imperial garden. A cool breeze wafts as autumn arrives.

So I’ve been ill for quite a while?

For a long time, yes.

From summer to autumn, the country has been through two seasons. Have there been any changes? Where’s the minister? Summon him here for me.

Where’s the minister? His Majesty calls you.

Yes, Your Majesty, I’m present. How is your jeweled form now?

I know that since I fell ill, all officials have tried your best to cure me. But I still feel unwell...

Oh God! O Minister! How come His Majesty’s eyes are rolling back?

Oh God, he may not make it. I reported falsely so that he wouldn’t panic. In fact, people everywhere are plagued with incurable diseases.

O Minister! His Majesty is stiff all over! O God! What am I to do now? Your Majesty! Royal maids!? (Yes.) Bring ginseng in for His Majesty quickly! Or you all will perish. For God’s sake, hurry up! Your Majesty, please take it. Here’s the ginseng. Please take it.

O Minister, His Majesty’s body is cold already.

Oh God! I don’t know what to do. What a bunch of good-for-nothing doctors! None of them could cure sickness in old age. Go back! (Go back!)

Your Excellency, there is a young woman outside the citadel’s gate. She asked to come in to cure His Majesty.

What? A young woman? You’re not joking, are you?

No, I’m not.

All right, send her in.

My respectful greetings, Your Excellency.

Young woman, who are you to be so self-confident? Dare you think so little of the royal physicians?

I’m Miss Nguyễn, well-versed in family cures. I overheard of His Majesty’s prolonged illness, so I ventured here to find out its cause.

Look, even distinguished doctors with silky silver hair have given up. What can a kid like you do?

Please don’t look down on me, Your Excellency. In my humble opinion, the old have their advantage, the young have their strength. With the right doctor and proper medicine, I believe that all ailments are curable.

Your reason is pretty sound. All right, you’re allowed to give it a try. But if anything should happen to His Majesty, don’t blame me for what will befall you.

But Your Excellency, I’m not used to giving treatment with strangers around.

Even me? This is required as well? What if she works a beauty trap on the King? But what can he possibly do, sickly and bed-ridden as he is? Fine! All may leave to let her treat His Majesty.

O sublime Buddha! Bestow a miracle as you have always done since time immemorial. May the King regain his lucid mind. May he rule for a very long time. Your Majesty, please have this bowl of medicine.

Tiên Dung!

Your Majesty.

Is that Tiên Dung, my child? Tiên Dung, I knew you would come. You can’t stay angry with your royal father.

Your Majesty.

I knew you would return to the capital.

Your Majesty.

Tell me, Tiên Dung!

O Your Majesty!

Isn’t it right that the royal palace is the only place worthy of you? Isn’t it true that only luxurious pavilions and towers are perfect and marvelous? Tell me, Tiên Dung!

O God! The King is still in delirium. He mutters to himself, calling the name “Tiên Dung.”

The King is being blindfolded.

No. My eyes are still clear, my mind still sharp. I’m a king; no one dares look down on me.

Your Majesty!

But I was at fault. I was at fault for disowning you, Tiên Dung.

O Your Majesty!

But I couldn’t have done otherwise, because I’m the King, do you understand, child? Alas, kingship! It’s the most powerful position. No one is allowed to go against my orders, including you, my daughter.

O Your Majesty, please drink this bowl of medicine. It’ll help you overcome the delirium, and return your brilliant and judicious mind. The King ails without recovering. What causes him to become delirious? Is it deep longing for his child that causes the King to fall mentally ill? In repaying a kindness, I’m back to save the royal father on behalf of Lady Tiên Dung. I pray Heaven for the King’s recovery, so I may return to my humble village. Your Majesty, please have the medicine.

It’s magic elixir indeed! The deeper the medicine penetrates, the better I feel. So, you’re not Tiên Dung? Are you a fairy or a Buddha who healed me? Very talented! Very gifted! I’m now back to my stately, dignified self.

His Majesty has recovered! O Minister! His Majesty is healthy again! Where’s everyone? The King has recovered! O Minister, the King is back to health!

Greetings, court officials!
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/7564

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World