Download

Aulacese (Vietnamese) Chèo Traditional Opera: Heavenly Affinity - P3/3 (In Aulacese)    
email to friend  E-mail this to a Friend   If you want to add this video in your blog or on your personal home page, Please click the fallowing link to copy source code  Copy source code     Download:    WMV (135MB)    MP4(183MB)  
Today’s Enlightening Entertainment will be presented in Aulacese (Vietnamese), with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai.

Âu Lạc (Vietnam) is a nation that has a long-standing traditional culture. Aulacese music is very rich; since ancient times, there have been many musical instruments that move the soul with a wide variety of sounds like those of the copper drum, gong, lithophone, bamboo xylophone, cymbals and panpipe. In 2003, Elegant Music, a form of Huế royal music, was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as an intangible cultural heritage of the world.

Âu Lạc’s music represents the unique features of each region, for example, Quan Họ folksongs in the North, Huế tunes in the Central, and cải lương (modern folk opera) in the South. In addition, there are many other forms of music, including hò (work songs), lý (village songs), ceremonial songs, Aulacese classical opera, chèo traditional opera, Hồ Quảng opera, and so on.

Indeed, music has been deeply instilled in the hearts of people in this beautiful country, and has been cultivated until this day. Northern Âu Lạc has a folk art called xẩm singing that is very popular in the northern plains and midland. This genre, in the old time, was performed by minstrel bands.

In a gathering with a small group of our Association members some years past, Supreme Master Ching Hai was inspired to spontaneously compose and sing in the xẩm style a poem she had written in her late 20s in Germany. The poem was originally written in English which the poet herself translated into Aulacese.

We now invite you to enjoy an excerpt of the xẩm singing “We Don't Live More Than One Hundred Years!” composed and sung by Supreme Master Ching Hai.

I mean tonight I was nuts! But so what: Aren’t the rest of us!... Otherwise how could we carry on living, For life isn’t worth a thing!?

You know that I am still in love with you! But that has nothing to do... I cannot please everybody, So I will please me! That doesn’t mean you are not right; We all have only one life!

On Enlightening Entertainment, Supreme Master Television is pleased to introduce different forms of arts from Âu Lạc (Vietnam), as well as from other countries in the world, in order to share the beauty and cultures of the peoples on our planet.

Chèo traditional opera is a folk theater art which originated from the regions near the mountains and from the plains of northern Âu Lạc. There are varied opinions about the beginning of chèo traditional opera: the earliest time is believed to be in 4th century BCE and the most recent is 14th century, at the end of the Trần dynasty. Chèo is a narrative genre of folk theater, recounting stories through a combination of music, singing and dance.

One of the unique features of chèo is a skillful portrayal of subtle gestures and movements. During festivals, people in the plains of northern Âu Lạc often look forward to watching chèo traditional opera. The lyrics are infused with folk poetry and proverbs; tragedies are usually counter-balanced with satires. Chèo is replete with the pure simplicity of the common folk, yet equally profound in meaning.

The Aulacese chèo traditional opera “Heavenly Affinity” is based on the legend of the smart and beautiful Princess Tiên Dung during the reign of King Hùng III and Chử Đồng Tử, a poor but very filial and compassionate young man. This is a famous Aulacese love story which conveys spiritual meanings, upholds altruism, and reveals the senselessness of placing import on transient outer forms.

Saint Chử Đồng Tử is also considered one of “The Four Immortals” in the Aulacese pantheon. To date, many places in the country still worship Saint Chử Đồng Tử and Princess Tiên Dung.

We now invite you to enjoy the conclusion of the Aulacese chèo traditional opera titled “Heavenly Affinity” by playwright Nguyễn Thị Hồng Ngát,

with performances by Mr. Mạnh Huấn as Saint Chử Đồng Tử, Ms. Vân Quyền as Princess Tiên Dung, Mr. Xuân Vượng as King Hùng, Mr. Trần Hải as Minister, Ms. Thanh Mạn as Miss Nguyễn, Mr. Thanh Tùng as Court Clown, Mr. Ngọc Kình as the Fairy, Mr. Tuấn Cường as Handsome Nobleman, Mr. Khắc Bình as the Minister’s Nephew, Mr. Đỗ Vinh as Old Nobleman, Mr. Vũ Ngọc as Young Nobleman, and other artists.

In the last episode: King Hùng decreed the selection of a prince consort for Princess Tiên Dung; however, she had yet to find her kindred soul. To find solace, the Princess went sightseeing along the Nhị Hà River and stopped by a beautiful sandbank. Dwelling at this place was a young man named Chử Đồng Tử. He was very poor and did not even have enough clothing to cover himself. Thus, upon seeing a group of young women approaching, he buried himself under the sand to hide.

As fate arranged it, Princess Tiên Dung met Chử Đồng Tử. They loved and respected each other right from their first encounter. Upon learning that Princess Tiên Dung chose a commoner as husband, King Hùng immediately set out to find her. Seeing that Chử Đồng Tử was from a very humble background yet the Princess was still determined to be married to him, the King was displeased and severed their bond after many failed attempts to convince her.

Touched by the couple’s faithfulness and kindness, the Elder Fairy gave them a magic hat and staff as well as imparted spiritual knowledge so that they could save the good-hearted people. Meanwhile, at the royal palace, King Hùng fell seriously ill. Thanks to Miss Nguyễn, fortunately His Majesty was healed.

Thank you for watching today’s Enlightening Entertainment. Coming up is Words of Wisdom. Please tune in to Supreme Master Television next Thursday for the Aulacese classical theater “Legend of a National Mother” by playwright Nguyễn Sỹ Chức. We respectfully bid you farewell.

Long live His Majesty the King!

O virtuous officials! Did you see the young lady who cured my illness?

She disappeared, Your Majesty.

What? She left already?

Yes, she’s gone.

O God! I hadn’t yet a chance to ask her name.

Your Majesty, I don’t know where her hometown is. I just know her name is Miss Nguyễn.

Miss Nguyễn? (Yes.) Go find Miss Nguyễn and bring her back for me.

Go search!

Go bring her back for me!

Go find Miss Nguyễn quickly!

O Miss Nguyễn! Your Majesty, I saw her walking out the door. She’s gone already.

She left for good? (Yes.) O God! It’s like a dream. Obviously this is me, yet it seems I’m no longer myself.

Your Majesty, you’re definitely yourself again now. May you enjoy great health as before.

Your Majesty! (Yes?) Your Majesty, a very strange thing has happened.

What is it?

There’s a city emerging from a hat and a staff after a rainy night.

Isn’t it just a tall tale?

No, it’s not. I saw it clearly with my own eyes. Last night when I patrolled the southeast area during a big rainstorm, suddenly lightning flashed repeatedly and thunder struck intermittently, then a castle rose up majestically with shining silver and a gold plated roof. The castle has the shape of a conical hat. We found out that it is Princess Tiên Dung’s castle.

Princess Tiên Dung’s castle? (Yes.) Very bizarre! When I disowned her, I didn’t give her even a silver bracelet. Chử Đồng Tử had not even a loincloth to wear. How could they amass wealth so quickly in such a short time?

They’re said to be celestial beings, from the Buddha’s realm.

It’s very possible.

Your Majesty, the Princess must have secretly plotted against her King father, so she built her own territory. Your Majesty, it’d be best if you let me lead troops there to stamp them out in advance.

No, we can’t do that. That will lead to total chaos.

That’s right.

Your Majesty, it can’t be a total chaos. This definitely stems from your son-in-law’s humiliation, so he has secretly schemed against the King father. Your Majesty, it’d be best if you dispatch troops there to quash them in advance.

Your Majesty, there’s another rumor. The Princess and her husband have a thriving business, making that area very prosperous. Now the Natural region is busy with trading activities, on boats and off deck, helping people escape poverty and misery.

Your Majesty, we can’t believe that.

Yes, it is so.

It’s possible, Your Majesty.

Oh God! My child, Tiên Dung!

Your Majesty!

My hands hold up this sheet of rose-hued silk. As it floats about at the marketplace, I know not in whose hands it will end up.

My beloved Chử and other men have returned from their harvest!

O village girl, come harvest the rice with us!

O village man!

Harvesting rice in October

Harvesting rice in October

We gather them quickly

Let me ask: who will carry the rice plants with me?

Is the rice from Đoài or Đông Village?

Carrying the rice of Đông Village, you and I will carry it together.

You and I will carry it together. Who is perspiring? The sun paints your cheeks a bright pink shade.

Why be caught by the silken thread of love to feel a tender longing? Why be caught by the silken thread of love to feel a deep longing?

That’s the way it should be. Hard work really makes a difference. Also, knowing how to best cultivate, we help people develop in agriculture. Everyone is kept warm and well-fed.

I’ve just returned from showing sisters in the village how to weave. This is a piece of tussore that they gave me to make a shirt for you.

What a beautiful piece of tussore! At this rate, people will surely do well. Plenty makes dainty.

And this is the hat I knitted for you myself. Come near, let me put it on you. My, you look just like a prince.

No, I’m not any prince. I’m just your beloved Chử.

O love, the merchant boats have begun to arrive. They’re enthralled with the tussore and silk. The trading business really brings a profit of four times the capital. The advice “One can’t get rich without engaging in trading” is so true. Now we have everything, my love!

I’m also glad that God is just. Our love has moved Heaven. Our hard work has been rightly rewarded with a sheltering home. Oh, no! An actual castle! O precious, it feels like a dream. I still remember that rainy night of old. The sacred hat and magic staff have turned into a kingdom with our wondrous hands.

The rain and wind of yore, the sacred hat and magic staff. Things have changed so much in life. I feel like in a dream. Our life together, our love and our wondrous hands have built our new existence today. Mulberry orchards stretch far, river pier crowded with visiting boats. We, as King Hùng’s offspring, join efforts to help build our country.

Since I came to live with you, there have been many amazing changes.

Look, aren’t you surprised, love?

It’s a surprise, yet I’m not surprised.

What do you mean?

We’ve done our best for the world, so the Fairy and Buddha are touched and rewarded us.

How about the merchant boats docked out there? They’re also from the Fairy and Buddha, you would say?

That’s right. Humans and their possessions, Heaven can bestow and can also take back. We’re just sojourners on Earth, fated to return Home upon death.

You talk rather strangely today. O love, we haven’t heard from Miss Nguyễn for a long time. I wonder if my father the King is cured.

Tiên Dung, please stay calm and have faith in Miss Nguyễn’s skill. I believe that the King will recover.

Come, everyone! Let’s come in here, everyone!

Greetings, Elders!

Greetings, Elders!

Greetings, Princess and Mr. Chử!

Respected Elders, what makes you come here today?

O Mr. Chử, don’t you remember? Today is the 15th of January. People bring the early season’s crops to the temple as offerings. Will you two lead the ceremony to pray for favorable weather?

For this year’s harvest to be more bountiful than last year’s.

Oh, how could I forget such an important event? O Chử Đồng Tử! Let’s get ready to leave right away.

All right. Let’s go, Elders.

Let’s set out now.

May the trees be laden with sweet fruits. May the fabrics of love be made with good material. We pray to Heaven for favorable rain and wind.

The rumor is indeed true. This place is surrounded by luxurious palaces and resounding elegant music. I was away from home for just a few days, yet I can’t recognize it on my way back. The once desolate area now becomes a populous and wealthy village. Horse and wheels crowd the roads, people bustle from boats to pier. How miraculous is the celestial power! Gone is the forlorn river pier of the old days. Gone is the forlorn river pier. Coming back, I feel like in a dream. The river of yore is now busy with sailing. Whose boat is gliding on the waves? Where is it going? There is no more sight of poverty in my homeland. All is like a dream to me!

O there you are, Miss Nguyễn! (Sister!) How is my father?

O Sister, the King has recovered from his illness.

The King has recovered? My father is back to good health? O, Chử Đồng Tử!

Tiên Dung!

My father the King has recovered. You’ve done me a great favor.

Our deep gratefulness, Miss Nguyễn.

O Sister, when in delirium, the King kept calling your name.

He called my name? I knew it. My father would never forget me. O Father!

Tiên Dung, that is an auspicious sign. It’s time for harmony between father and child, King and subject. This is definitely Miss Nguyễn’s merit.

But don’t rejoice so soon, benefactors. The small threat hasn’t yet passed, a great danger is already looming.

What do you mean by that?

It’s all because of this castle.

What’s wrong with it? I don’t understand.

O Sister, the King is sending an army here to besiege this castle.

What?

Because he thinks that you dare establish your own kingdom. Thus I hastened back here to inform you.

O God! My King father has misunderstood me. What shall we do now, beloved?

Tiên Dung, please stay calm. Miss Nguyễn, you must be tired from a long trip. Hurry home lest your aged mother waits long for you.

Yes.

O beloved, the King has misunderstood me. A great upheaval will soon befall us. What shall we do now?

Tiên Dung, please stay calm. All this time, we’ve only wished to lead a life in happiness and prosperity built by our own hands. We’ve done our best to help the people and save their lives. Yet our Royal Father misunderstands that we are against him. It’s quite a difficult matter to clarify. The worst thing is people will suffer bloodshed because of us. Alas! What good are the castles and palaces? I suddenly miss the sand bank of old where we met. O river pier of the past... I wish we could return to the river bank of old. A simple life in a thatched hut, yet we’d always have each other. We’d stay together till our ripe old age.

Chử Đồng Tử! Tiên Dung! O children, in the Ninth Heaven, I was touched by your compassion, so I came down again to give advice. If you wish to avoid the bloodshed and escape the mundane world to be with me, quickly retrieve the staff. Return with me to the celestial realm.

We’re very grateful, O Fairy.

O Chử Đồng Tử! We have no choice but to leave.

Please wait! Please wait!

Please re-consider. Don’t abandon us to quickly return to Heaven.

We humbly beg you. If you leave, how shall we carry on our lives?

If the King comes here, we’ll report the truth so he can understand and lessen his wrath.

Please don’t go!

Your love for us is very much appreciated. But if we remain here, we’ll commit filial impiety toward the King once again. It’s an ill-fated family when children act against their father. It’s best that we withdraw early. Then you all will be safe.

That’s right. When we’re gone, there won’t be any fighting. My Royal Father will understand me eventually.

Sister Tiên Dung!

Miss Nguyễn! (Sister!) O Miss Nguyễn! Stay back to ask my father to forgive us.

Sister!

I’ve made many mistakes to trouble and worry you.

O Sister, we’re soon separated. I’m lost for words at this moment of farewell.

We must go.

We must go.

For villagers to live in peace.

O virtuous friends! We will miss you much. When will we meet again? We’re ever awaiting our reunion.

Farewell, beloved village!

Sister Tiên Dung!

Strange! There were resplendent castles at this site recently. How come? Where are the soldiers? (Yes.) Why is it like this?

I have no idea.

Go find out quickly! His Majesty has arrived.

Long live the King!

Minister. (Yes.) Where are the castles? Show me.

Your Majesty, there were splendid palaces here recently. I’m presently at a loss.

Your Majesty.

Be quiet! (Yes.)

You heard of my daughter’s building her own kingdom, right?

Yes, I did.

Alas! Sky-high anger engulfed me when I left, yet it vanished now all of a sudden. Love for my daughter is overflowing. Tiên Dung, my child! Where are you now?

You Majesty, a young woman asks to see you.

Send her in! (Yes.)

Respectful greetings, Your Majesty.

So this is the young woman who healed me. But you left without saying goodbye. You didn’t even care for my reward. Why?

Your Majesty, I cured your illness to repay a favor, not because I needed the King’s reward.

Whom did you wish to repay a favor?

Your Majesty, they are Princess Tiên Dung and Mr. Chử Đồng Tử. They saved my life and the lives of the villagers here.

It’s truly so.

So, you were sent to me by Princess Tiên Dung. But, where is my daughter Tiên Dung now?

It’s too late, Your Majesty.

Why? Is something wrong?

Your Majesty, just yesterday, there were magnificent castles at this place. Suddenly heavy rains and wind rose and swept the castles as well as Princess Tiên Dung and Chử Đồng Tử back to Heaven.

O Tiên Dung, my child! I was oblivious of your immense magnanimity, of your love, as beautiful as the brightest moon. Coming here today, I’ve now seen and heard it through. I’ve given too much credence to the false reports and caused father and child to part ways. When I regret, it’s already too late. Tiên Dung, do you know my torment?

Look there, Your Majesty! A pair of white cranes are soaring at the far horizon. They are Princess Tiên Dung and Chử Đồng Tử.

Tiên Dung! Tiên Dung!

That ancient time reverberates till this day. The legend of Tiên Dung and Chử Đồng Tử lives on forever. A beautiful couple turned into a pair of white cranes. On moonlit nights, their tale of love tugs at our hearts and never fades for thousands of years.

Supreme Master Ching Hai lovingly sent gifts to the artists and professionals contributing to the chèo traditional opera “Heavenly Affinity,” aired on Supreme Master Television. They shared their thoughts and expressed their appreciation of Master’s magnanimity.

Playwright Hồng Ngát:

I’m very surprised and also very touched upon learning that Supreme Master Ching Hai watched the opera “Heavenly Affinity” and remembered us. From the bottom of my heart, I’m very happy and very grateful to Master, because that gift of the spirit is very significant.

Also, there are DVDs about the music, poetry and paintings created by Master. Her consideration is very precious and highly appreciated. I wish Master good health, everlasting beauty and may Master be able to carry out many things beneficial to the world in general and to Âu Lạc in particular.

Director and actor Tuấn Cường, who performed in the role of the Handsome Nobleman:

I’m director Lê Tuấn Cường. I played the Handsome Nobleman in the opera “Chử Đồng Tử” 14 years ago. I’m very grateful to Supreme Master Ching Hai for your concern of the artists in performing folk art. I thank Supreme Master Ching Hai for your very good contribution to Âu Lạc, introducing our country to the world , about what we can do. That is very precious.

I hope there are many people in Âu Lạc, who have such hearts for goodness. When we do good, many good things will come to our lives. Chèo traditional opera is very unique to Âu Lạc. One may say that it is highly esteemed in the world. I performed in many countries and people very much admire Aulacese performing folk art, especially chèo, which is praised as a very exquisite art of the Aulacese, reflecting Truth, goodness and beauty. Artists are people who always strive for perfection.

On this occasion, I’d like to wish Supreme Master Ching Hai abounding health, all the happiness and peace in life. Thank you, Master! I would like to dedicate to Supreme Master Ching Hai and viewers the song “Folk Verses for You and Me” by An Thuyên.

Cleaving the moon in halves, I will be a small ferry boat Splitting a verse in two, I will sail over the waves Take me back to my beloved We’ll go together singing folk tunes Let me live amid warm affection, Amid simple love of the countryside At summer noon, we’ll call each other across the green bamboo grove We’ll walk to the field in our ponchos We’ll keep wearing them though the sun blazes Let our devotion neither dwindle nor fade Once in love, we offer not our shirts to anyone else My love boat drifts on endlessly Carrying my adoration for a country girl Her muddy feet I thought the fairy’s heels...

Director Phạm Thị Thành:

First, I wish very much to thank Supreme Master Ching Hai, whom I highly respect. The pictures here only speak a fraction of Master’s life and talents. Even so, Master has already done a lot. I cherish Master very much.

Opera actor Mạnh Huấn who played the role of Chử Đồng Tử:

First, I feel very touched and very honored when Supreme Master Ching Hai shows her loving concern for me as well as other artists of the chèo company. I also feel very proud because Master is from our homeland Âu Lạc. As for the opera “Heavenly Affinity,” 13 years ago upon graduation, I had the honor to play the role of Chử Đồng Tử. It has been aired many times on Radio the Voice of Vietnam (VOV) in Âu Lạc as well as abroad, and it was especially watched by Master, because Chử Đồng Tử is one of the Four Immortals of Âu Lạc.

I sincerely wish Master abounding health and new joys, and for her to accomplish many humanitarian works. My respectful gratitude to Master. I wish to dedicate to Master and everyone a song that I have just composed in a chèo tune called “Spider Spinning Webs.”

For years I’ve wandered in four directions
Motherland, I’ve kept in my heart
For years I’ve wandered in four directions
I miss my childhood, flying kites and playing coin games
Swimming in the full river and eating simple rice
O motherland, brimming with love and gratefulness
I walk home now with light footsteps
O motherland, brimming with love and gratefulness
Returning home, I’m speechless and overcome with emotion

My respectful gratitude.

Outstanding opera actress Vân Quyền, in the role of Princess Tiên Dung:

I’m Vân Quyền, Outstanding Artist. I’ve performed in many places within our country and abroad. All the roles and shows that I participated in have been supported and encouraged by a great number of audience members.

Supreme Master Ching Hai has sent gifts and her love to the artists. I’m very touched and would like to send Master best wishes for her health and my sincere gratitude. Although I haven’t met Master, I’m very moved and hold in high esteem a person who has such a magnanimous heart. With sincerity, I wish to dedicate to Supreme Master Ching Hai and viewers a short song in the chèo style, as an expression of my appreciation.

Lo! A boat has just arrived in paradise
Love melody conveys affection
Herder plays the flute in harmony
O beloved, my cherished!
At home, I’m contented with weaving work
My hands weave the red threads
You comment on literary work late at night
Holding a delicious drink, I offer to you
At the front door apricot flowers blossom
The eaves, the thatched hut, our home.

Opera actor Ngọc Kình, in the role of Fairy:

I’m Nguyễn Ngọc Kình. In Âu Lạc, there are many kinds of traditional folk arts such as chầu văn, trù singing, xoan singing of Phú Thọ, and folk songs of Nam Định. This art of chèo only exists in Âu Lạc. According to researchers, this art originated in the 10th century, under the Lý dynasty. The content of the chèo traditional operas in general has educational value about ethics.

Today I received the gift and feel very touched by Master’s compassion for all beings; your magnanimity is immense. I wish Master abounding health always and may your wishes be fulfilled. I thank you, Master, very much.

Today, this world has been developing very robustly, including science and technology. But the other side of that development is its consequence, which is environmental pollution. Forest fires and natural disasters such as storms, floods, etc. The icebergs in North Pole are melting now. And the situation in which the sea water encroaches on land in many places in the world is real.

Even in Europe, landslides have caused people in many places to become homeless. Or like the earthquakes in Haiti or in Chile recently. I just want to say that every country or every one of us must all be aware of protecting the environment and the common home that we’re dwelling in.

In fact, Master’s solution about how we live kindly with the environment, that is very meaningful. On this occasion, I’d like to read a poem among those Master wrote. That is “Love in the Rain.”

Sending a love message into the nil
Hoping to find you it will Through the evening chill.
Till then, nothing will heal My heart!
Aching pains. Dark nights. Come the wind and cold rain!
My heart beats the blue Longing for you.

Opera actor Khắc Bình, in the role of the Minister’s nephew:

I’m Văn Khắc Bình. I’ve watched some film clips through which I realize that Master has a very compassionate and generous heart, caring for the unfortunate people in the whole world. And today Master even sent gifts to the artists. I sincerely thank Master. I’d like to sing an excerpt of a chèo tune:

I miss your eyes, shiny black and gentle like a pigeon’s
Eyes that are sweet like ripe fruits of wild rose myrtle
Clouds change shape everyday
Your gazes, all lovely and endearing.

We sincerely thank the playwrights, directors, artists and professionals who contributed your talents and efforts to bring about valuable chèo traditional operas. Thank you for your endeavors to preserve chèo, a performing art in Aulacese traditional culture. We wish you and your families all the goodness, upliftment, and happiness in life.
trackback : http://www.suprememastertv.tv/bbs/tb.php/download/7602

Download by Subtitle

Scrolls Download
  MP3 Download

Listen Mp3Listen  Words of Wisdom
Listen Mp3Listen  Between Master and Disciples
  MP4 download for iPhone(iPod )
  Download Non Subtitle Videos
  Download by Program

A Journey through Aesthetic Realms
Animal World
Between Master and Disciples