Light and Sound Meditation in Religion   

( 164 MB )

The Bahá’i Faith

It is an axiomatic fact that WHILE YOU MEDITATE YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH YOUR OWN SPIRIT. In that state of mind you put certain questions to your spirit and the spirit answers: THE LIGHT BREAKS FORTH and the reality is revealed.

~ Paris Talks, Page 174

If the faculty of meditation is BATHED IN THE INNER LIGHT and characterized with divine attributes, the results will be confirmed.

~ Paris Talks, Page 176

The meditative faculty is akin to the mirror; if you put it before earthly objects it will reflect them. Therefore if the spirit of man is contemplating earthly subjects he will be informed of these. But if you turn the mirror of your spirits heavenwards, THE HEAVENLY CONSTELLATIONS AND THE RAYS OF THE SUN OF REALITY WILL BE REFLECTED IN YOUR HEARTS, AND THE VIRTUES OF THE KINGDOM WILL BE OBTAINED. Therefore let us keep this faculty rightly directed—turning it to the heavenly Sun and not to earthly objects.

~ Paris Talks, Page 176

Buddhism

Ananda, if all your sense organs are rooted out, your INNER LIGHT WILL APPEAR, all transient sense data as well as the changing conditions of the material world will vanish, like ice melted by boiling water, and YOU WILL REALIZE SUPREME BODHI INSTANTLY.

Bodhi means awakening.

~ The Surangama Sutra

Thereupon Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva rose from his seat, prostrated himself with his head at the feet of the Buddha and declared: “I still remember that long before numbers of aeons countless as the sand grains in the Ganges, a Buddha called Avalokitesvara appeared in the world. When I was with Him, I developed the Bodhi Mind and, for my entry into Samadhi, I was instructed by Him to PRACTICE MEDITATION BY MEANS OF THE ORGAN OF HEARING.” 

Samadhi means the internal state of imperturbability achieved through meditation.

Bodhi means awakening.

~ The Surangama Sutra

At first by directing the organ of hearing into the stream of meditation, this organ was detached from its object, and by wiping out (the concept of) both sound and stream-entry, both disturbance and stillness became clearly non-existent. Thus advancing step by step both hearing and its object ceased completely, but I did not stop where they ended. When the awareness of this state and this state itself were realized as non-existent, both subject and object merged into the void, the awareness of which became all-embracing. With further elimination of the void and its object BOTH CREATION AND ANNIHILATION VANISHED GIVING WAY TO THE STATE OF NIRVANA which then manifested.

Nirvana means the highest paradise.

Tathagata means Buddha.

~ The Surangama Sutra (Speech by Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva)

World Honored One, as I (followed and) made offerings to the Tathagata Avalokitesvara, He taught me to use my illusory hearing and sublimate it to realize the Diamond (Vajra) Samadhi which gave me THE SAME POWER OF MERCY OF ALL BUDDHAS AND ENABLED ME TO TRANSFORM MYSELF INTO THIRTY-TWO BODILY FORMS FOR THE PURPOSE OF VISITING ALL COUNTRIES IN SAMSARA (to convert and liberate living beings). 

Samsara means cycle of reincarnation.

These are my thirty-two transformation-bodies in response to (the needs of) all countries in samsara, achieved by means of the uncreated sovereign power of Samadhi realized in my practice of sublimating the faculty of hearing. World Honored One, I also use this uncreated sovereign power of Diamond Samadhi, derived from sublimating hearing, to share with all living beings in the six realms in the ten directions the same plea for compassion, and to bestow upon them fourteen kinds of fearlessness which emanate from my body and mind.

Samadhi means the internal state of imperturbability achieved through meditation.

When I first realized the hearing mind which was most profound, the Essence of Mind (i.e. the Tathagata store) disengaged itself from hearing and could no longer be divided by seeing, hearing, feeling and knowing, and so became ONE PURE AND CLEAN ALL-PERVADING PRECIOUS BODHI.

Bodhi means awakening.

Because of my meditation by means of the (organ of) hearing, which resulted in my disengagement from the six sense data, like a sound going through a wall without hindrance, I can, with each appearance and with the aid of each mantra, bestow fearlessness upon (suffering) beings in countries as countless as dust in the ten directions in which I am regarded as the Giver of Dauntlessness.

As the Buddha now asks about the best means of perfection, my method which consists in regulating THE ORGAN OF HEARING SO AS TO QUIET THE MIND FOR ITS ENTRY INTO THE STREAM OF MEDITATION LEADING TO THE STATE OF SAMADHI AND ATTAINMENT OF ENLIGHTENMENT IS THE BEST.

I now submit to the World Honored One

That ALL BUDDHAS IN THIS WORLD APPEAR

TO TEACH THE MOST APPROPRIATE METHOD

WHICH CONSISTS IN USING PERVASIVE SOUND.

THE STATE OF SAMADHI CAN BE

REALIZED BY MEANS OF HEARING.

Thus was Avalokitesvara freed from suffering.

Hail to the Regarder of sound

Who, during aeons countless as Ganges’ sand,

Entered as many Buddha lands to win

The power and comfort of his independence

And bestow fearlessness upon all living beings.

~ The Surangama Sutra (Speech by Manjusri Bodhisattva)

O you who have achieved the SOUND PROFOUND,

THE SEER OF SOUND, OF SOUND THE PURIFIER,

Who, unfailing as the SOUND OF OCEAN TIDES, SAVES ALL BEINGS

IN THE WORLD make

Them secure, ENSURE THEIR LIBERATION AND ATTAINMENT OF ETERNITY.

Reverently I declare to the Tathagata

What Avalokitesvara said:

When one dwells in quietude,

Rolls of drums from ten directions

Simultaneously are heard,

So HEARING IS COMPLETE AND PERFECT.

The eyes cannot pierce a screen,

But neither can mouth nor nose,

Body only feels when it is touched.

Mind’s thoughts are confused and unconnected,

But voice whether near or far

At all times can be heard.

The five other organs are not perfect,

But HEARING REALLY IS PERVASIVE.

Tathagata means Buddha.

Absence of sound is not the end of hearing,

And sound when present is not its beginning.

THE FACULTY OF HEARING, BEYOND CREATION

AND ANNIHILATION, TRULY IS PERMANENT.

Even when isolated thoughts in a dream arise,

Though the thinking process stops, hearing does not end,

For the faculty of hearing is beyond

All thought, beyond both mind and body.

In this Saha world

Teaching is by voice.

Living beings who cognize not hearing’s nature,

Follow sound to continue transmigrating.

Saha means our world of birth and death.

Listen, Ananda, listen closely,

In the name of Buddha I proclaim

The Vajra King of Enlightenment,

The inconceivable understanding that illusions

Are unreal, the true Samadhi that begets all Buddhas.

You may hear of esoteric methods

From Buddhas countless as the dust,

But if you cannot eradicate

Desire, to hear much causes errors.

TO HEAR YOUR VERY SELF, WHY NOT TURN BACKWARD

THAT FACULTY EMPLOYED TO HEAR BUDDHA’S WORDS

HEARING IS NOT OF ITSELF,

BUT OWES ITS NAME TO SOUND.

Bodhi means awakening.

Ananda and all you who listen here

SHOULD INWARD TURN YOUR FACULTY

OF HEARING TO HEAR YOUR OWN NATURE

WHICH ALONE ACHIEVES SUPREME BODHI.

That is how enlightenment is won.

Buddhas as many as the Ganges’ sand

Entered this one gateway to Nirvana.

All past Tathagatas

Have achieved this method.

All Bodhisattvas now

Enter this perfection.

All who practice in the future

On this Dharma should rely.

Avalokitesvara did not practice

It alone, because through it I also passed.

The Enlightened and World Honored One

Has asked about the best expedients

FOR THOSE IN THE DHARMA ENDING AGE

WHO WISH FROM SAMSARA TO ESCAPE

IN THEIR SEARCH FOR NIRVANA’S HEART.

IT IS BEST TO CONTEMPLATE ON WORLDLY SOUND:

All other methods are expedients

Used by Buddha in particular cases

To keep disciples from occasional trouble.

Nirvana means the highest paradise.

Tathagatas means Buddhas.

Bodhisattvas means spiritual practitioners.

Dharma means true teaching.

‘Tis good for teaching Ananda

And those of the Dharma ending age

Who should USE THE HEARING ORGAN

WHICH SURPASSES ALL OTHERS

AND WITH THE TRUE MIND ACCORDS.

Monk, we also don't know where Brahma is or in what way Brahma is. But when signs appear, light shines forth, and a radiance appears, Brahma will appear. FOR THESE ARE THE PORTENTS OF BRAHMA'S APPEARANCE: LIGHT SHINES FORTH AND A RADIANCE APPEARS.

~ Tipitaka, Digha Nikaya: Kevatta Sutta

With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the divine ear-element. He hears — by means of the divine ear-element, purified and surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine and human, whether near or far.

~ Tipitaka, Digha Nikaya: Samaññaphala Sutta

Christianity

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the word was God.

~ John 1:1, Holy Bible

IN HIM WAS LIFE, AND THAT LIFE WAS THE LIGHT OF MEN. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

~ John 1:4-5, Holy Bible

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'MAN DOES NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD.' "

~ Matthew 4:4, Holy Bible

He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, "'though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.' This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear…”

~ Luke 8:10-12, Holy Bible

Take the HELMET OF SALVATION and the sword of the Spirit, WHICH IS THE WORD OF GOD.

~ Ephesians 6:17, Holy Bible

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.

~ 1 John 1:1, Holy Bible

Gnosticism

Lighting, then, our torch at the source of that light, by the passionate desire which has it for its object, and striving as much as possible to be assimilated to it, we become men full of light.

~ Theodotus: Excerpta Ex Theodoto
http://www.gnosis.org/library/excr.htm

AND LET OUR FACES SHINE IN HIS LIGHT, and LET OUR HEARTS MEDITATE IN HIS LOVE, BY NIGHT AND BY DAY.

~ The Odes of Solomon, Ode 41:6

AND LIGHT DAWNED FROM THE WORD THAT WAS BEFORE TIME IN HIM.

~ The Odes of Solomon, Ode 41:14

Hinduism

He who thus KNOWS THE UDGITHA (OM) AND MEDITATES ON IT – his life shall be the most excellent in this world and likewise in the other world, yea, the other world.

~ Chhandogya Upanishad, Part 1 Chapter 9:4

ONE SHOULD MEDITATE ON THE UDGITHA (OM) as the sun who gives warmth. When he (the sun) rises he sings the Udgitha for the benefit of all creatures.

~ Chhandogya Upanishad, Part 1,Chapter 3:1

This is the Udgitha (Om), the most excellent; this is endless. He who, knowing this, MEDITATES ON THE UDGITHA OBTAINS THE MOST EXCELLENT LIFE AND WINS THE MOST EXCELLENT WORLDS.

~ Chhandogya Upanishad, Part 1,Chapter 9:2

They (i.e. the knowers of Brahman) SEE EVERYWHERE THE SUPREME LIGHT, which shines in Brahman, which is all-pervading like the light of day and which belongs to the primeval Seed. Perceiving the higher light in the sun – which is above the darkness of ignorance – as the higher light in the heart, PERCEIVING THE SUPREME LIGHT WHICH IS HIGHER THAN ALL LIGHTS, WE HAVE REACHED THE HIGHEST LIGHT, THE SUN, THE MOST LUMINOUS AMONG THE GODS, yea, we have reached the Highest Light, the Sun, the most luminous among the gods.

Brahman means Supreme Self.

~ Chhandogya Upanishad, Part 3, Chapter 17
http://sanatan.intnet.mu/upanishads/chhandogya.htm

The Yogin being in the Siddhasana (posture) and practicing the Vaishnavi-Mudra, should ALWAYS HEAR THE INTERNAL SOUND THROUGH THE RIGHT EAR.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 31

The SOUND WHICH HE THUS PRACTICES MAKES HIM DEAF TO ALL EXTERNAL SOUNDS. Having overcome all obstacles, he enters the Turya state within fifteen days.

Turya means a name of the Transcendental Brahman, which both transcends and pervades the three states of waking, dream, and deep sleep.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 31

IN THE BEGINNING OF HIS PRACTICE, HE HEARS MANY LOUD SOUNDS. THEY GRADUALLY INCREASE IN PITCH AND ARE HEARD MORE AND MORE SUBTLY.  At first, the sounds are like those proceeding from the ocean, clouds, kettle-drum and cataracts; in the middle (stage) those proceeding from Mardala (a musical instrument), bell and horn. At the last stage, those proceeding from tinkling bells, flute, Vina (a musical instrument) and bees. Thus he hears many such sounds more and more subtle.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 33-35

WHEN HE COMES TO THAT STAGE WHEN THE SOUND OF THE GREAT KETTLE-DRUM IS BEING HEARD, HE SHOULD TRY TO DISTINGUISH ONLY SOUNDS MORE AND MORE SUBTLE. He may change his concentration from the gross sound to the subtle, or from the subtle to the gross, but he should not allow his mind to be diverted from them towards others.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 36-37

The mind having at first CONCENTRATED ITSELF ON ANY ONE SOUND fixes firmly to that and is absorbed in it. It (the mind) becoming insensible to the external impressions, becomes one with the sound as milk with water and then becomes rapidly absorbed in Chidakasa (the Akasa where Chit prevails).

Akasa means ether or atmosphere.
Chit means awareness.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 38-39

Being indifferent towards all objects, the Yogin having controlled his passions, should by continual practice CONCENTRATE HIS ATTENTION UPON THE SOUND which destroys the mind.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 40

HAVING ABANDONED ALL THOUGHTS AND BEING FREED FROM ALL ACTIONS, HE SHOULD ALWAYS CONCENTRATE HIS ATTENTION ON THE SOUND and his Chitta becomes absorbed in it. Just as the bee drinking the honey (alone) does not care for the odor, so the Chitta which is always absorbed in sound, does not long for sensual objects, as it is bound by the sweet smell of Nada and has abandoned its flitting nature. The serpent Chitta through listening to the Nada is entirely absorbed in it and becoming unconscious of everything CONCENTRATES ITSELF ON THE SOUND.

Nada means subtle or inner sound.

Chitta means one of the four aspects of the human mind.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 41-44(a)

THE SOUND PROCEEDING FROM PRANAVA WHICH IS BRAHMAN IS OF THE NATURE OF EFFULGENCE; THE MIND BECOMES ABSORBED IN IT; THAT IS THE SUPREME SEAT OF VISHNU.

Pranava means sacred sounds.

Brahman means Supreme Self.

Vishnu is a Hindu god.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 46(b)-47(a)

Many myriads of Nadas and many more of Bindus – ALL BECOME ABSORBED IN THE BRAHMA-PRANAVA SOUND.

Nadas means subtle or inner sounds.

Bindus means seeds.

Brahma-Pranava means Om.

~ Nada-Bindu Upanishad, 50(b)-51(a)

http://www.advaita.info/Nada-Bindu-Upanishad.html

Quick of hearing are mine ears; mine ears hear what is good –

Fain would I hear a pleasant sound.

Let not good hearing and overhearing fail the Eagle's eye, the undecaying light.

Thou art the couch of the Rishis. Let worship be paid to the divine couch.

~ Artharva Veda

Gods, may our ears hear that which is auspicious, may our eyes see that which is good, ye holy!

~ Hymns of the Samaveda, Part Second, Book IX, Chapter III: IX Indra. All-Gods

Now with our ears we catch the sound of the press-stone that rings afar.

The very Strong hath gained the waters by himself, the strong gained many a resting-place.

~ Rig Veda, The First Book, Hymn CXXXIX: Visvedevas

Eternal Law hath varied food that strengthens; thought of eternal Law, removes transgressions.

The praise-hymn of eternal Law, arousing, glowing, hath opened the deaf ears of the living.

~ Rig Veda, The Fourth Book, Hymn XXIII: Indra

A firm light hath been set for men to look on: among all things that fly the mind is swiftest.

All Gods of one accord, with one intention, move unobstructed to a single purpose.

Mine ears unclose to hear, mine eye to see him; the light that harbors in my spirit broadens.

Far roams my mind whose thoughts are in the distance. What shall I speak, what shall I now imagine?

~ Rig Veda, The Sixth Book, Hymn IX: Agni

This God, as he is flowing on, speeds like a car and gives his gifts:

He lets his voice be heard of all

Praised by the sacred bards, this God dives into waters, and bestows

Rich gifts upon the worshipper.

Away he rushes with his stream, across the regions, into heaven,

And roars as he is flowing on.

~ Rig Veda, The Ninth Book, Hymn III: Soma Pavamana

International Society of Krishna Consciousness

When one leaves the physical body by controlling all the senses; focusing the mind on God, and the bioimpulses (Pranas) in the cerebrum; engaged in yogic practice; meditating on Me and uttering OM – the sacred monosyllable sound power of Spirit – one attains the Supreme Abode.

~ The Bhagavad Gita 8.12-13

But, you are not able to see Me with your physical eye; therefore, I give you the divine eye to see My majestic power and glory.

~ The Bhagavad Gita 11.08

Islam

O Allah I place light in my heart, light in my tongue, place light in my hearing, place light in my eyesight, place light behind me, and light in front of me, and place light above me, and light below me. O Allah! grant me light.

~ Hadith, Sahih Muslim, Book 4, #1682

Say: Tell me, if Allah were to make the night to continue incessantly on you till the day of resurrection, who is the god besides Allah that could bring you light? Do you not then hear? Say: Tell me, if Allah were to make the day to continue incessantly on you till the day of resurrection, who is the god besides Allah that could bring you the night in which you take rest? Do you not then see?

~ Holy Qur’an, 28:71-72

And one of His signs is your sleeping and your seeking of His grace by night and (by) day; most surely there are signs in this for a people who would hear. And one of His signs is that He shows you the lightning for fear and for hope, and sends down water from the clouds then gives life therewith to the earth after its death; most surely there are signs in this for a people who understand. And one of His signs is that the heaven and the earth subsist by His command, then when He calls you with a (single) call from out of the earth, lo! you come forth.

~ Holy Qur’an, 30:23-25

Jainism

Here, the follower of the commandment, the wise, the passionless, he who exerts himself before morning and after evening, always contemplating virtue and hearing (the merit of it) will become free from love and delusion.

~ Akaranga Sutra, Book I, Fifth Lecture: Essence of the World

The characteristic of Soul is knowledge, faith, conduct, austerities, energy, and realization (of its development). The characteristic of matter is sound, darkness, luster (of jewels, etc.), light, shade, sunshine; color, taste, smell, and touch….He who verily believes the true teaching of the…fundamental truths, possesses righteousness.

~ Uttaradhyayana, Twenty-Eight Lecture: The Road to Final Deliverance

Judaism

[…] and what shall a man understand without knowledge and without hearing […] […] insight, the impulse of [our] heart with great intelligence, he uncovered our ears that we [might hear…] […] He created insight for all those who pursue true knowledge and […] […] all wisdom is from eternity, it may not be changed […] […] He locked up behind the waters, so that [not…] […] the heaven above heaven…

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Book of Secrets, Frag. 8

[…And You,] my [Go]d, have helped my soul, and You have exalted my horn on high. I shine forth in sevenfold light, in l[ight which] You have [esta]blished for Your glory. For You are as an [eter]nal light for me, and You establish my foot upon the level gr[ound…]

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, Thanksgiving Hymns (The Thanksgiving Scroll), Hymn 20

[…] the judgment passed on Korah, and because He has opened your ear [to the secret of the way things are…

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Secret of the Way Things Are, 4Q423 Frag. 5

His era that God opened the ears of those who understand the secret of the way things are […] [And] you, O enlightened one, when you observe all these things […] […] weigh your deeds with the era […] […] Whatever is left with you, guard carefully…

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Secret of the Way Things Are, 4Q418 Frag. 123

He has opened their eyes to see His ways and their ears to hear His teaching.

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, In Praise of God’s Grace (Barki Nafshi)

And now, O discerning one, listen to me, and devote your heart to [the] w[ords of My mouth…] obtain knowledge for your innermost part and with [your] bo[dy] meditate […] with righteous humility utter [your] words.

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Blessings of the Wise, Frag. 14 Col. 2

[May you receive the blessing of] the greatest of all gods forever, and may he shine his light upon you, and tell you his great name so that you may truly know him. For he is the God of the ages, and Lord of everything that is done, and ruler of all people, doing with them whatever he pleases.

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Last Words of Kohath, 4Q542 Col. 1

He deliv[ered…my soul] shall see by (His) light. Behold, a[ll…] a man, two times, three times, to br[ing back… in the ligh]t of life.

~ The Dead Sea Scrolls, An Aramaic Translation of the Book of Job, 11Q10 Col. 23

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that MAN DOES NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF THE LORD.

~ Devarim 8:3, Holy Torah

No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

~ Devarim 30:14, Holy Torah

Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders. My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.

~ Psalms 119:27-28, Holy Torah

As for God, his way is perfect; THE WORD OF THE LORD IS FLAWLESS. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

~ II Samuel 22:31, Holy Neviim

Sikhism

In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name,

and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 8

The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums.

Shabad means Sound.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 13

I DWELL UPON THE ONE WORD OF THE SHABAD. You are mine-what else do I need?

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 17

WE MEET WITH OUR BELOVED, THE SOURCE OF JOY, WHEN WE LISTEN TO THE WORD OF THE GURU'S SHABAD.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 17

Without the Fear of God, how can anyone become fearless? Become Gurmukh, and IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE SHABAD.

Gurmukh means Truth seeker.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 18

CONTEMPLATE THE ONE WORD OF THE SHABAD, and abandon other hopes.

WITHOUT THE WORD OF THE SHABAD, PEACE DOES NOT COME.

WITHOUT THE WORD OF THE SHABAD, PEOPLE WANDER LOST IN REINCARNATION.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 19

The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. ATTUNED TO THE SHABAD, HONOR IS OBTAINED.

The True Guru is found in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. Day and night, praise the Word of His Shabad.

O Nanak, THEIR FACES ARE RADIANT; the Music of the Shabad, the Word of God, wells up within them.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 22

Make good deeds the soil, and let the Word of the Shabad be the seed; irrigate it continually with the water of Truth.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 24

THROUGH THE WORD OF THE GURU'S SHABAD, the mind is conquered, and ONE ATTAINS THE STATE OF LIBERATION IN ONE'S OWN HOME.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 26

ONE WHOM THE LORD MERGES INTO HIMSELF IS MERGED IN THE SHABAD, and remains so merged.

Shabad means Sound.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 27

Attuned to the Word of the Shabad, they are immaculate and pure. I am forever a sacrifice to them.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 27

Without the Shabad, this pollution is not washed off; through the cycle of death and rebirth, they waste away in misery.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 29

O Nanak, those who are attuned to the Shabad are dyed in the Color of the Lord's Name.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 29

The faces of the Gurmukhs are RADIANT AND BRIGHT; they reflect on the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

Gurmukhs means Truth seekers.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 30

Within the home of their own inner being, THEY OBTAIN THE MANSION OF THE LORD'S PRESENCE, reflecting on the Guru's Shabad.

Through the Guru's Teachings, the heart is illuminated. Through the Shabad, the Name of the Lord is received.

O Nanak, the One Light has two forms; through the Shabad, union is attained.

The Word of the Guru's Shabad abides within the mind, and THE BODY AND MIND BECOME PURE.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 32

Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, remain dead while yet alive, and THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL COME TO DWELL WITHIN THE MIND.

~ Holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 33

By Guru's Grace you shall be saved. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, you shall cross over the terrifying world-ocean of poison.

If one dies through the Shabad, then SALVATION IS OBTAINED, and ONE FINDS THE DOOR OF LIBERATION.

O Nanak, those who are attached to the Naam are saved; through the Shabad, their ego is banished.

Naam means the Name of the Lord.

Shabad means Sound.

Through the Shabad, the Word of the Perfect Guru, WE MEDITATE ON THE LORD. Serving the Shabad, PEACE IS FOUND.

Swedenborgianism

Once when I was MEDITATING ABOUT THE LORD'S SECOND COMING, there suddenly appeared A FLASH OF LIGHT which forcibly struck my eyes; and I therefore looked up, and lo, the whole heaven above me appeared luminous, and there from the east to the west in a continuous strain a Glorification was heard…

~ True Christian Religion, by Emanuel Swedenborg
http://www.sacred-texts.com/swd/tcr/tcr13.htm

Theosophy

He who would HEAR THE VOICE OF NADA, "THE SOUNDLESS SOUND," and comprehend it, he has to learn the nature of Dharana. Having become indifferent to objects of perception, the pupil must seek out the rajah of the senses, the Thought-Producer, he who awakes illusion.

Dharana means unbending concentration of mind.
Rajah means king.

~ The Voice of the Silence

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/voice/voice1.htm

WHEN HE HAS CEASED TO HEAR THE MANY, HE MAY DISCERN THE ONE – THE INNER SOUND which kills the outer. Then only, not till then, shall he forsake the region of Asat, the false, TO COME UNTO THE REALM OF SAT, THE TRUE.

Before thou set'st thy foot upon the ladder's upper rung, THE LADDER OF THE MYSTIC SOUNDS, THOU HAST TO HEAR THE VOICE OF THY INNER GOD (the Higher Self) in seven manners. The first is like the nightingale's sweet voice chanting a song of parting to its mate. The second comes as the sound of a silver cymbal of the Dhyanis, awakening the twinkling stars. The next is as the plaint melodious of the ocean-sprite imprisoned in its shell. And this is followed by the chant of Vina. The fifth like sound of bamboo-flute shrills in thine ear. It changes next into a trumpet-blast. The last vibrates like the dull rumbling of a thunder-cloud. The seventh swallows all the other sounds. They die, and then are heard no more. When the six are slain and at the Master's feet are laid, then is THE PUPIL MERGED INTO THE ONE, BECOMES THAT ONE AND LIVES THEREIN.

Dhyanis means Great Buddhas.

Tibetan Buddhism

Have you prepared and lit your lamp?

Should it not be ready,

MEDITATE ON THE "GREAT LIGHT".

~ Sixty Songs of Milarepa

PRACTICING MEDITATION IN SOLITUDE IS, IN ITSELF, A SERVICE TO THE PEOPLE.

~ Sixty Songs of Milarepa

The Bardo of Dream-and-Sleep is best

To convert habitual thinking into Wisdom;

Within it ONE SHOULD PRACTICE THE YOGAS

OF LIGHT AND OF THE PHANTOM BODY.

At the end of the Sidpa Bardo

The Three Bodies of Buddha will appear.

This is the time to ENTER THE THREE PURE LANDS.

Bardo means state of existence between death and rebirth.

~ The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, Volume I, Guiding Instructions on the Bardo

Zoroastrianism

It is noted in the good religion that because of the purity of the soul (men) acquire a body in INWARD COMMUNION WITH THE ORIGINAL SOURCE (i.e. Spenamino) and because of this communion the soul becomes immortal and adorned with the ample LIGHT OF ETERNITY IN THE SECOND LIFE.

~ Denkard (Acts of Religion), Book 3, Chapter 362
http://www.avesta.org/denkard/dk3s362.html

スプリームマスターチンハイと気候変動会議
スプリームマスターチンハイ環境を語る
Videoconference with Supreme Master Ching Hai and TV staff
Lectures from International Gatherings in 2008 and 2009
スプリームマスターチンハイの簡単で栄養ある料理
ブリザリアン(気食主義者)
The King & Co.
Aphorisms scrolls
各月のアワードのスクロール
発展的なニュース スクロール