(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)Barbeque Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup vinegar
¼ cup molasses
2 teaspoon hickory
flavored liquid smoke
½ cup turbinado sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon vegan butterSandwich Filling
2 cups texturized soy protein
1 tablespoon soy paste
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable broth powder
1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
Served on a toasted
sesame seed bun with
vegan butter spread,
vegan baked beans,
corn, and cole slaw.Coleslaw:
4 cups shredded cabbage (½ large cabbage)
½ cup Vegenaise (or any vegan mayonnaise)
½ cup soy milk
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon
Pinch of salt
Pepper to taste
- To prepare the sandwich filling, first soak the TVP for about 3-4 hours, and then rinse it and then squeeze up all the remaining water. Do this step twice.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of canola oil on a medium high heat.
- Add in the TVP, 1 tablespoon of soy paste, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of vegetable broth powder, 1 teaspoon of mushroom seasoning powder, 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar, and half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir those around until it has a nice, brown surface on each side. This will take at least 3-5 minutes.
- When the color appears, turn off the heat and let it cool.
- To prepare the BBQ sauce, add a cup of ketchup, add 1 cup of tomato sauce. Set the stove to medium to medium heat.
- Add in ½ a cup of vinegar, ¼ a cup of molasses, 2 teaspoon of hickory flavored liquid smoke.
- Add in ½ a cup of turbinado sugar, ½ a teaspoon of salt, ½ a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, ½ a teaspoon of paprika.
- Add in ¼ teaspoon of chili powder, ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Add in a pinch of cinnamon.
- Stir all the ingredients together for at least 20-30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken on its own.
- When it is thick enough, let it cool and then put in a squirt bottle for easier use.
- Add a tablespoon of vegan butter. Stir around.
- Turn the heat down to low and just let that work on its own.
- Meanwhile, when the TVP is cool, just look closely to it. There is a grain of each TVP, just pull along it, make really small strips. And just continue until all finish. The smaller the strips, the better.
- Get a toasted bun and spread it evenly and lightly with vegan butter.
- Grab about ¼ - ½ cup of filling and just throw it on top.
- Squirt a little bit of BBQ sauce on top. Not too much because it is a very strong flavor.
- Next, put in some homemade coleslaw.
- Put the top layer of the sandwich.
- The sandwich is ready, and for serving, just add a little bit to the side some vegetarian baked beans and some corns.
- Ready to be served.