공장식농장이 질병을 잔혹하게 유발합니다 - 21 Jun 2009  
email to friend  친구에게 보내기   이 비디오를 개인 홈페이지나 블로그에 게시하시려면 다음 버튼을 눌러 동영상 소스를 복사하세요.  동영상 소스 복사   프린트

현재 돼지독감으로 전세계90개국에서 최소 44만 3천명이 피해를 입었고 180여명이 사망했습니다. 호주는 첫 번째 돼지독감관련 사망을 보고한 한편 피지와 알제리는 처음으로 환자들을 확인했습니다.

2006년 미국 연구에 따르면 돼지농장 종사자들은 돼지독감 바이러스에 감염될 위험이 매우 높으며 이들 인원들을 정부의 항바이러스 전략 및 유행병감시에 포함해야 할 것을 충고했습니다. 모든 유행성 독감은 동물로부터 유래하며 돼지는 인간 독감과 조류 독감 양쪽에 감염될 수 있고 더 치명적이고 새로운 바이러스를 만들어 낼 수 있기 때문에 가장 유력한 병균 매개체 중 하나입니다. 

미국질병통제예방 센터는 현대식 농장의 돼지들 중 1/3내지 절반이 독감항체를 갖고 있음을 알았고 이는 돼지가 이력이 있거나 현재 감염되었다는 증거이기도 합니다. 공장식 농장의 경우 이런 순환하는 돼지독감 바이러스 중 하나가 인간에 전염될 가능성은 돼지 수에 비례해 증가하며 일반적인 농장에서는 최소 5천 마리가 사육되고 있습니다. 이는 돼지바이러스가 끊임없이 퍼지고 치명적인 형태로 돌연변이 되는 것을 뜻합니다. 다행히도 전세계의 점점 더 많은 국회의원들이 이 상황을 지켜보고 있습니다.

수프림 마스터 텔레비전은 최근 뉴질랜드의 녹색당 동물권리 대변인인 수 케드그레이 씨가 농장동물들의 곤경을 어떻게 알게 됐는지 그녀와 대담했습니다.

수 케드그레이(뉴질랜드 녹색당 동물권리 대변인, 여성) : 전 실제로 생산부에 편지를 써서 공장식 농장 안을 가서 볼 수 있는지 물었고 놀랍게도 그들이 동의해서 그곳에 다녀왔습니다. 만약 고객들이 자기 뜻으로 동물들이 참아야만 하는 환경을 직접 보게 된다면 사지 않을 것이며 그 농장들은 문을 닫을 것이라고 말해 왔습니다. 우리가 계속 그렇게 하는 단 한가지 이유는 동물들이 항상 숨겨져 있고 대부분의 소비자들은 실상을 모르거나 신경을 쓰지 않는데 자기 뜻으로 우리 안의 암퇘지를 보게 된다면 그들이 완전히 고통과 비참함 속에 있다고 결론 내릴 수 밖에 없죠. 그들은 좌절 속에서 창살을 씹으며 울고 있었는데 완전히 절망적으로 보였습니다. 그리고 사실 당시에 꽤 어린 제 아들을 함께 데리고 갔는데 아들이“인간들은 어쩜 이렇게 잔인하죠?”라고 말했어요. 거의 모든 이들이 실제로 갔다면 이런 반응들을 보였을 것이라고 확신하지만 대부분의 사람들이 공장식 농장 내부를 볼 기회가 없고 돼지농장들은 동물들이 길러지는 환경들을 우리가 보는 것을 원하지 않습니다.

목소리: 동료 의원들과 대중의 인식을 넓혀주는 케드글레이 의원의 통찰력과 용기있는 정직함에 감사 드립니다. 현재 아프거나 사랑하는 가족을 잃어 고통 받는 분들께 위로를 전하며 이와 같은 잔인한 과정과 그에 수반되는 질병들이 가라앉는 날이 오길 기도합니다. 미국의 책임지는 의약을 위한 내과의사 위원회가 추천하는 바와 같이 우리 모두 예방을 위한 진정한 첫 단계로 동물성 없는 식사를 시작합시다.

Factory farm cruelty spawns disease

The current swine flu has now taken a toll on at least 44,300 people worldwide in  92 countries, with more than 180 fatalities. Australia has reported her first swine flu-related loss, while Fiji and Algeria confirmed first-ever cases.

A 2006 US study found that pig farm workers are at markedly high risk of swine flu virus infection and advised that these personnel should be included in pandemic surveillance as well as government antiviral strategies. All pandemic flu strains originate from non-human animal species, with pigs being one of the most prevalent carriers because they can be infected with both human and bird flu strains, which could interact to form new and more lethal viruses. 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that one-third to one-half of the pigs on modern farms had antibodies for influenza, evidence that they had historically or were presently infected. 

On factory farms, the chance that one of these circulating swine flu viruses will infect humans increases proportionally with the pig population, which numbers at least 5,000 on a typical farm. 

This means that viruses are likely to be continually transmitted and mutated into perhaps more deadly forms. 

Fortunately, a growing number of lawmakers across the globe are monitoring this situation. Supreme Master Television recently spoke with New Zealand Green Party animal rights spokesperson Sue Kedgley about how she became aware of the plight of farmed animals.

Sue Kedgley – Member of Parliament, New Zealand, Green Party Animal Welfare Spokesperson (F): I actually wrote to the producer boards and asked if I could come and see inside these factory farms and to my surprise they agreed, and so off I went. I’ve always said that if consumers saw for themselves, at first hand, the conditions that these animals are forced to endure, we just wouldn’t be buying – those farms would shut down. 

The only reason that we continue to do so is that they are hidden away and most consumers really have no idea or put it out of their minds, because if you actually see for yourselves the sows in the cages, you cannot but conclude that the pigs are in total distress, in total misery. 

They were chewing the bars in frustration, they were crying out, I mean they looked absolutely desperate. And actually I took my son who was quite young at the time, with me on my visit, and he just said, “How can humans be so cruel?” I’m sure that just about everyone would have that reaction if they actually went, but most people don’t actually get the opportunity to see inside a factory farm because the pig farms don’t want us to see the conditions that the animals are raised in.

VOICE: Thank you Parliament Member Kedgley for your insights and courageous honesty to expand the awareness of fellow lawmakers and the public. 

As we sympathize with those fallen ill or suffering the loss of a loved one, we pray for the day when such cruel practices and their accompanying diseases subside. 

As recommended by the US-based Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, let us all make the first true step to prevention and eat animal-free meals.

Reference::